Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default Simulating Aged and Weathered Wood

Chip Buchholtz wrote:
Tom wrote:
: Anybody know a good way to artificially age/weather wood?

: I have some reclaimed lumber (not sure what species) from an old barn
: that I want to use for the frame of a painting of the barn that will
: be a birthday gift for a friend. Machining the wood will expose
: surfaces with different texture and color and I'd like to treat/finish
: those surfaces to better match them to the look of old and weathered
: wood.

I have no experience, but this idea just popped into my head. File it
under "This is so crazy it just might work!"

Can you cut some veneers of of the weathered faces of the wood, and
then veneer them back onto the finished product? Absolutely authentic
naturally weathered apparence, with no chemicals or other fakery!

It won't work for fancy moldings, but I'm picturing a more "barn beam"
look.

Good luck! It sounds like a great project.

--- Chip

That was my first thought too. Come to think of it, it was my only thought.

I wasn't thinking of veneer, exactly. I was more along the lines of
using full pieces of barnboard that attach over the exposed ends you've
machined. Done properly, a galloping horse...

Tanus