Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser Lobby Dosser is offline

Default Simulating Aged and Weathered Wood

"Upscale" wrote:

Tom Veatch wrote in message
Anybody know a good way to artificially age/weather wood?

Several years ago, I built a bar for a friend and he wanted it to look
like it was built out of aged barn board. I went to the lumber yard
and picked up some rough cut pine. To age it, I'd go over it lightly
with a blow torch and crisped some of the tips of the rough cuts on
the boards. I then wiped away the burn ends with a rag and that left
the wood looking truly old.

If you're using new wood, then you can go at it lightly with a hatched
or a machete or something like that. Do the torch thing I described
above and then stain or paint the wood. Practice a little bit on some
scrap to get the look you want.

Here's another way:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/BeginnersArticles/01/f/01F964CFE4.html