Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray K

Default Staining a weathered wood deck

Planning to use a cedar-colored, oil-based stain. Salesman say that by
priming it first, the stain will last longer (I guess he meant will
retain its new look longer). Any truth to that?

Thanks,

Ray
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

What idiot said that , one from HD . Prime with what Primer? Primer is
for paint not stain. If deck is weathered grey a semi transparent grey
color would work, But you want Cedar color so use a deck cleaner,
powerwash and use semi transparent stain. Read Consumer Reports ongoing
paint and stain tests, and get advise from a real paint store with real
painters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

Ray K wrote:
Planning to use a cedar-colored, oil-based stain. Salesman say that by
priming it first, the stain will last longer (I guess he meant will
retain its new look longer). Any truth to that?

I'd like to see what a 'pro' would say about that, but IMHO, the whole
idea of 'stain' is something that soaks into the wood. Primers are
used to seal the wood so that paint will stick to the surface. Do you
want to paint the surface or stain the wood?

BTW, pressure washing first might help.

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Lena wrote:
Ray K wrote:
Planning to use a cedar-colored, oil-based stain. Salesman say that by
priming it first, the stain will last longer (I guess he meant will
retain its new look longer). Any truth to that?

I'd like to see what a 'pro' would say about that, but IMHO, the whole
idea of 'stain' is something that soaks into the wood. Primers are
used to seal the wood so that paint will stick to the surface. Do you
want to paint the surface or stain the wood?

BTW, pressure washing first might help.

Lena

Yea - Never heard of priming before stain. Sounds very weird. Read the
can, follow the directions. Look for Sikkens for stain, I have had good
results.