Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim

Default Fence Wood Staining?

Have some old fence pickets from Home Depot that are weathered
dark gray. I want to retain the finish texture (rough) but I
want to bring back the honey color. Naturally, I could sand or
plane but that would ruin the texture.

Any ideas such as bleaching, etc.?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 04:11:06 GMT, Jim wrote:

Have some old fence pickets from Home Depot that are weathered
dark gray. I want to retain the finish texture (rough) but I
want to bring back the honey color. Naturally, I could sand or
plane but that would ruin the texture.

Any ideas such as bleaching, etc.?

Thanks

You could go back to Home Depot and get some "Preserve-A-Wood" stain... several
colors available from almost clear to red or yellow/brown paint..

The stuff has been working great for me.. I used the "Pacific Redwood" (very
light color, mostly oil) on our redwood fence in 2001... recoated it once since
then and it still looks great..

I rolled it on the flat side of the fence with a large stucco roller and did the
inside with a "Hudson" type garden sprayer...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing