Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What about staining old weathered wood?

Hello,

I'm NOT a woodworking expert, even in my imagination.

At the place we rent, there is an old wood swing in the back yard. To
the best I can tell, it has never been painted nor stained. It is
some years old. The wood is silvered and weathered, and a little
cracked and split.

What happens if I stain it? Obviously I can't prevent the damage
that's already happened. But will it slow future harm -- or is it too
late?

Also, what's the difference in *color* between staining old wood and
staining new wood? That is, if I build something else (yes, at a
rental) and use the same stain on it, how will the two pieces look
together?

Thank you for all answers.

Ted Shoemaker