Tom Watson

Default Psychopathology and The Wreck

There was once a day when I could read the thoughts of Patrick Leach.

There was once a day that I could read the thoughts of Walt Akers.

There was a once, too long ago, that I could glean the wisdom of
Paully Rad (r.i.p.).

O'Deen used to post every day, maybe every other day.

Duke of Urls was right there beside him.

Charlie Self fielded every intelligent question that was thrown his
way.

JOAT only asked that nobody emailed him.

Tommy Plamann was seen around here, frequently.

C-Less would sing the praises of whatever finish or technique he was
enamored of, of the moment - and it didn't matter, because he did it
so well.

Bitch Slap Bob wrote some most entertaining stuff, most of which I
thought was funny as hell.

****, I used to enjoy LRod defending Norm to the death, but it seems
like he's worn out, too.

What do I have now?

Most of the intelligent and interesting people have been driven into
lurkdom, or some lesser form of same which shows up as a lesser form
of involvement.

What I have now is Bay Area Dave, who is a worthless piece of ****.

I have jclarke, who spends a great deal of time on the ADD ng, and
that is totally appropriate for him. I just wish he would stay there.

We've suffered through the Woodpecker infestation, the Man In The
Doorway troll, the Doggie Conspiracy, The Age of Bennett, The Living
Turd, the This and the That, that makes our Wreck experience less than
what it should be.

Is it even possible to return the group to a level that we can all
enjoy?

I'll admit - I wrote off Bay Area Dave, and said that he should be
shunned. I should have followed my own recommendation. It's just
that he is a bully - and I hate to see a bully go unchallenged.

I'm actually coming around to the position of C-Less, and really
ignoring the assholes.

There was, in times past, a forum for the trading and dissemination of
tidbits of knowledge, of the wooddorking sort.

There was, in times past, a place where we could all hang out and
learn from each other - tell our jokes - spin our yarns -share our
experiences in the moaning chair - just be wooddorkers, ya know.

But we have become a cesspool of mindless argumentation - an
unreflective gathering of nanominds.

I will admit to being among the most culpable in this regard.

I have found myself replying with language and logic that I would have
never used in this place before.

I'll give you my pledge.

I'll killfile the usual assholes and not respond to them when they
show up referenced in other posts.

I will use my best efforts to return the Wreck to the state it was in,
when I really loved being here.

I do want to say this before embracing my abstinence:

Bay Area Dave is the single most destructive force to hit the Wreck,
since I have been here.

Bennett was actually entertaining, because he was half-assed
intelligent. There were some good threads started in response to
Bennett.

BAD just wants to draw attention to himself - in such a way that
should make any thinking person sad, and fearful of the possibility
that he might be overcome by such a monster of pathology.

I suppose, that he is more to be pitied than reviled.

Tomorrow, I will begin posting only happy thoughts. I will help where
I can and encourage where I can't.

I'd like the Wreck to go back to that happy state that I enjoyed so
much.

If it doesn't - I have books to read and write.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Dave Balderstone

In article , Tom Watson
wrote:

I'll give you my pledge.

I'll killfile the usual assholes and not respond to them when they
show up referenced in other posts.

I will use my best efforts to return the Wreck to the state it was in,
when I really loved being here.

'Bout time...

Thanks, Tom.

djb
Tom Watson

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 18:40:08 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Tom Watson
wrote:

I'll give you my pledge.

I'll killfile the usual assholes and not respond to them when they
show up referenced in other posts.

I will use my best efforts to return the Wreck to the state it was in,
when I really loved being here.

'Bout time...

Thanks, Tom.

djb

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Thank you, David.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Mike S.

Dito's

--
Mike S.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm
"Tom Watson" wrote in message
[...]

Mark L.

I wish more would adopt the same ethic/wreck etiquette, maybe we could
start concentrating on WWing again. (With the occasional amusing or
thoughtful OT post to keep it interesting). See how long it lasts, Tom.
Mark L.

Tom Watson wrote:

snippage maximus

Tomorrow, I will begin posting only happy thoughts. I will help where
I can and encourage where I can't.

I'd like the Wreck to go back to that happy state that I enjoyed so
much.

If it doesn't - I have books to read and write.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Woodchuck Bill

Tom Watson wrote in
:

What I have now is Bay Area Dave, who is a worthless piece of ****.

Agreed.

--
Bill
Bay Area Dave

Default Psychopathology and The Wreck (or Tommy Wasteone Cries foul likethe pathetic whiner that he is)

Tom, here are a few observations from a "bully".

pot.kettle.black

YOU are the one who carries on and on about how horrible
your fellow man is. You have a few kind words to say about
a few of your buddies, but by and large you seem quite the
malcontent and rabble rouser (sort of like me!). To put it
bluntly: you BITCH TOO MUCH. No wonder I refer to you as
Tommy WasteOne. You are a big crybaby. You act like the
Wreck is for YOUR amusement only. Wake up, whiner.

You damaged your rep severely with the tirade you directed
towards me a few months back. I don't mind a few jabs once
in a while (ala JOAT style or some other less obsessed
types), but your unrelenting crap was pathetic for it's show
of the obsessive interest you take in me. Why does my name
EVER show up in your posts, Tommy? The fact that you
mentioned shunning clearly displays your holier than thou
attitude, which is why at this juncture, just in case I
forgot to mention it sometime in the past 2 years, "Tommy,
you are a true ASSHOLE". aaaah! I feel much better!

You are the type of whining crybaby that can dish volumes of
caustic comments and then get all uppity and dismayed when
some poor soul has the temerity to hurl a few justified
insults your way. Guess what I think of you Tommy? You are
a windbag who's had the good fortune to successfully
entertain the good ole boys club that congregates here to
bolster each other's sagging egos. I come on here for TWO
purposes; to discuss woodworking when there's something of
interest for me (lately there hasn't been as my large
projects have been put on hold for months) and to watch the
train wreck known, surprising enough as the "Wreck".

I'd be delighted to the nth degree if you filter me out for
the rest of time.

For god's sakes, Tommy boy; how many times did you refer to
me--about 5 or 6? You are a contradiction in terms. Forget
about me, boy.

Quit lamenting old times and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! YOU are
part of the problem you whine about so much.

dave

Tom Watson wrote:

[...]

Bay Area Dave

best you can do? yawn.

dave

Woodchuck Bill wrote:

Tom Watson wrote in
:

What I have now is Bay Area Dave, who is a worthless piece of ****.

Agreed.

Bay Area Dave

basically, it means he is still in a ****ing contest with
himself, as he isn't going to be in one with me much longer...

dave

Trent© wrote:

On 2 Jun 2004 01:32:09 GMT, Woodchuck Bill wrote:

Tom Watson wrote in
m:

What I have now is Bay Area Dave, who is a worthless piece of ****.

Agreed.

Good start...both you guys

Nice post by Tom...but I wonder what it means.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

Dyslexics of the world ... UNTIE !

Norman D. Crow

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
I'd like the Wreck to go back to that happy state that I enjoyed so
much.

YES!

--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.

---

Zeke

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:09:58 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:
Lots of snippage

BAD just wants to draw attention to himself -

Very true.
And he doesn't seem to care if the attention is negative.
In fact he encourages negativity.
If shunned will he get into a flame war with his own sockpuppets?
Lets find out.

Zeke
Change com to net for e-mail
JG

I'd like the Wreck to go back to that happy state that I enjoyed so
much.

google:

From: Bob D. )
Subject: Ahoy the Turd Barge
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: 1999/08/16

John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

mattzack2

Thanks, Tom. Even though I am relatively new to this group, I have been
pretty disapointed to watch its deterioration. Not many folks enjoy the low
signal to noise ratio in here lately. It used to be a great place to come to
listen and learn about woodworking.
I agree with a lot of what you say. Keep your fingers crossed that things
will get better. That's all you can do.
Matt

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
[...]

Dave Balderstone

In article 88cvc.43154$n_6.39965@attbi_s53, mattzack2
wrote:

Keep your fingers crossed that things
will get better. That's all you can do.

I don't think even Tom agrees with that. There's a lot more we all can
do to stay on topic.

OBWW: Speaking of psychopathology, I've been unable to get moving into
the shop and get anything done for a couple of months. Today I finally
got down there, and did a glue up on a coffee table top that's been
sitting for far too long. This weekend I go hunting for the right
contrasting wood to the doug fir top and start on the base. No plans,
it'll depend on the wood...

45 tomorrow. A third of my life gone. Sigh...

From: Bob D. )
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: 1999/08/16

--

thank you for a good laugh... and to make it easier to get to:
http://tinyurl.com/yuz3v

MUCH recommended....

Dave Balderstone

In article ,
wrote:

thank you for a good laugh... and to make it easier to get to:
http://tinyurl.com/yuz3v

LOL!

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before...

;-)
Woodchuck Bill

Bay Area Dave wrote in
om:

"Tommy,
you are a true ASSHOLE".

Hey Homer....**** you, doggie! Bite me.

--
Bill
Swingman

"mattzack2" wrote in message ...
Thanks, Tom. Even though I am relatively new to this group, I have been
pretty disapointed to watch its deterioration.

That's absolute and total BS, IMO ... if you don't believe it, take a trip
through the archives sometime. The names may have changed, but the BS
remains cyclically the same.

Not many folks enjoy the low
signal to noise ratio in here lately.

Someone forces you to read every post? To put it kindly, those too enfeebled
to not filter/skip what they consider noise deserve exactly what they get.

It used to be a great place to come to
listen and learn about woodworking.

It still is ... this crap about how wonderful it "used to be" is just that.
Folks always have a tendency to look back and exalt those who came before,
whether they deserve it or not. Problem is, some of the exalted start
believing their own press and begin the periodic cycle of convincing the
gullible how things have changed for the worse ... don't it believe it for a
minute.

_You_ have total control over how much you benefit from any forum, online or
not ... you can be one of the gullible who find it easier to perpetuate the
myth, or you can take the bull by the shorts and make it work for you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

Ray Kinzler

For crying out loud, Dave...there is no need for this.

You are doing the exact thing that you say you are against. What kind
of water does that hold?!

Also, you mentioned that Tom's reputation was tainted because of
something he wrote a while back...with whom? You? Well, obviously,
but with whom else?

Honestly, there have been several people here recently that sound like
a bunch of 15-year-old girls having a spat in the girl's bathroom at
school.

Dave, you can say some people have been ganging up on you but you make
it to darn easy.

A lot of times in life, it is more wise to 'be nice' than to be right.
George

Ah you forgot Spokeshave and Larry Jaques (don't put a "c" in the last name,
he gets cranky), both of whom posted regular and useful advice back in the
mid to late 90's.
I look at the bulk of the posts today and shudder at how off topic or FAQed
they are compared to back then. The wreck was about fine woodworking and not
a general "It has a piece of wood somehwere in its construction so therefore
it goes to the wreck".

George Anderson

ps:What do ya'll do with all them beeman's wrappers :^)

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
There was once a day when I could read the thoughts of Patrick Leach.

There was once a day that I could read the thoughts of Walt Akers.

There was a once, too long ago, that I could glean the wisdom of
Paully Rad (r.i.p.).

O'Deen used to post every day, maybe every other day.

Duke of Urls was right there beside him.

mttt

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Is it even possible to return the group to a level that we can all
enjoy?

I'll admit - I wrote off Bay Area Dave, and said that he should be
shunned. I should have followed my own recommendation. It's just
that he is a bully - and I hate to see a bully go unchallenged.

Bull crap! Bull crap!!!

I followed your advice. He doesn't exist, to me.
You let him get under your skin, that's all.

Maybe it's easier for me since my kids are still preschoolers. My practice
is proll'y more recent than yours.

I have found myself replying with language and logic that I would have
never used in this place before.

I had the same epiphany in my reply to a sh*thead. I'd never say those
horrible, mean things to someone's face. Yet I found the anonymity and
ubiquity of the 'net an excuse to say things I should have left rattling in
my brain.

Grandma used to talk about "all you're doing is lowering yourself to their
level."
I'm damned ashamed to admit it took a half-century for that to sink in.

I thought it was witty. It was just damned rude - and I'd be ashamed to see
my kids read what I wrote.

Tomorrow, I will begin posting only happy thoughts. I will help where
I can and encourage where I can't.

Don't you dare stop writing and posting your novellas.
Don't you dare!

jmac

wrote:
I'd like the Wreck to go back to that happy state that I enjoyed so
much.

If it doesn't - I have books to read and write.

Tom,
As a "mostly" lurker, I agree with all that. In fact, I look forward
to more of your myth and lore.
With all the extraneous stuff on all the newsgroups I read, I still
find good information on most of them. The Wreck is my favorite,
though, because of the insight and humor to be found amongst the
noise.
Perhaps he whose name must not be written (hwnmnbw - unworthy of caps)
is merely indicative of the era we live in. In which case, the
cleansing of the air in The Wreck may start a movement that can
improve life in general.

jmac
Now enjoying my third cup of coffee.
Eddie Munster

Tom

You say what you think and you post under your real name. As does
Charlie Self.

More guts than I have. Certainly more than bad.

That's what people notice. And they do notice.

So relax, and post happy thoughts!

John

Dave Hinz

On 2 Jun 2004 04:45:28 -0700, Ray Kinzler wrote:
For crying out loud, Dave...there is no need for this.

Killfiles are a wonderful thing. Why do people respond to BAD?

Bay Area Dave

go take a leak...

dave

jmac wrote:
snip

jmac
Now enjoying my third cup of coffee.

Bay Area Dave

Simple; because they have no SELF CONTROL!

dave

Dave Hinz wrote:

On 2 Jun 2004 04:45:28 -0700, Ray Kinzler wrote:

For crying out loud, Dave...there is no need for this.

Killfiles are a wonderful thing. Why do people respond to BAD?

Swingman

"mattzack2" wrote in message

Your reply is typical of the noise I'm talking about.

No one forced you to read it ... hit the Next key if you don't like it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

mattzack2

Did someone force you to read mine?
Why don't you follow your own advice?
Go make some sawdust, and lighten up.

"Swingman" wrote in message
"mattzack2" wrote in message

Your reply is typical of the noise I'm talking about.

No one forced you to read it ... hit the Next key if you don't like it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:08:19 GMT, mattzack2 wrote:
Did someone force you to read mine?
Why don't you follow your own advice?
Go make some sawdust, and lighten up.

Great, now we've got people complaining about the people complaining about
the people complaining about the troll. I'm sure all this attention is
giving him exactly the stimulation he's after.

Bay Area Dave

well let's see...Watson STARTED this stupid thread. Ergo,
HE must be the troll. I'm betting YOU think it's mattzack2,
huh? You should spread the cheer around a bit; let everyone
else bask in the glow.

dave

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:08:19 GMT, mattzack2 wrote:

Did someone force you to read mine?
Why don't you follow your own advice?
Go make some sawdust, and lighten up.

Great, now we've got people complaining about the people complaining about
the people complaining about the troll. I'm sure all this attention is
giving him exactly the stimulation he's after.

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message

That's absolute and total BS, IMO ... if you don't believe it, take a trip
through the archives sometime. The names may have changed, but the BS
remains cyclically the same.

Could not agree more. The crap comes and goes just like the tide.
I think the old timers have A. Either gotten tired of reading the same
questions and answers over and overn and over. or B. Become too old to
remember how to find or use the news group. ;~)

JG

George wrote:

Ah you forgot Spokeshave

Thanks blush I'm back here again....

But most folks wouldn't recognize me anymore, now that I got my knees
fixed, lost 50+ pounds, quit smoking, started taking 20 mg of value per
day, got Laid off from Cabletron 2 years ago, went into Law Enforcement.

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

skeezics

wrote:

[...]

I remember most of these also! and they are sorely missed!

What do I have now?

a lot less!

Most of the intelligent and interesting people have been driven into
lurkdom, or some lesser form of same which shows up as a lesser form
of involvement.

I for one, only lurk recently because it seems when i try to help
someone i am badmouthed for some simple **** like punctuation and
spelling. yes my typing skills are limited but hey i been just a dumb
carpenter most of my life so i aing gonna appoligize for it .

What I have now is Bay Area Dave, who is a worthless piece of ****.

yup.

I have jclarke, who spends a great deal of time on the ADD ng, and
that is totally appropriate for him. I just wish he would stay there.

uh huh. ask a question and then argue about the response he gets!

We've suffered through the Woodpecker infestation, the Man In The
Doorway troll, the Doggie Conspiracy, The Age of Bennett, The Living
Turd, the This and the That, that makes our Wreck experience less than
what it should be.

glad to see they finaly left.

Is it even possible to return the group to a level that we can all
enjoy?

possible yes but probly not likely. we can have hope though...

I'll admit - I wrote off Bay Area Dave, and said that he should be
shunned. I should have followed my own recommendation. It's just
that he is a bully - and I hate to see a bully go unchallenged.

I'm actually coming around to the position of C-Less, and really
ignoring the assholes.

good advise.

There was, in times past, a forum for the trading and dissemination of
tidbits of knowledge, of the wooddorking sort.

There was, in times past, a place where we could all hang out and
learn from each other - tell our jokes - spin our yarns -share our
experiences in the moaning chair - just be wooddorkers, ya know.

the times they are a changin. dammit!

But we have become a cesspool of mindless argumentation - an
unreflective gathering of nanominds.

yup

I will admit to being among the most culpable in this regard.

I for one dont see you in that way. I like your storries and even
learn a few things from it now and then and i dont mean just about
wooddorking! hope you aint plannin on leavin any time soon!!!

I have found myself replying with language and logic that I would have
never used in this place before.

we all have. as i said the times they are a changin.

I'll give you my pledge.

I'll killfile the usual assholes and not respond to them when they
show up referenced in other posts.

I will use my best efforts to return the Wreck to the state it was in,
when I really loved being here.

here here!! what say yas all?

I do want to say this before embracing my abstinence:

Bay Area Dave is the single most destructive force to hit the Wreck,
since I have been here.

just ignore him when he gets stupid. i do.

Bennett was actually entertaining, because he was half-assed
intelligent. There were some good threads started in response to
Bennett.

hehehehehehe

BAD just wants to draw attention to himself - in such a way that
should make any thinking person sad, and fearful of the possibility
that he might be overcome by such a monster of pathology.

I suppose, that he is more to be pitied than reviled.

yup

Tomorrow, I will begin posting only happy thoughts. I will help where
I can and encourage where I can't.

please do feel free.

I'd like the Wreck to go back to that happy state that I enjoyed so
much.

we can only hope!

If it doesn't - I have books to read and write.

ah stick around! these twits aint gonna run me off and you shouldnt
let em run you off either!

skeez

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

JG

There was a once, too long ago, that I could glean the wisdom of
Paully Rad (r.i.p.).

What happened to Paully!?!?!?!?!

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

Doug Winterburn

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 02:29:23 +0000, JG wrote:

There was a once, too long ago, that I could glean the wisdom of Paully
Rad (r.i.p.).

What happened to Paully!?!?!?!?!

Same thing that's gonna happen to all of us :-(

His ride was just shorter than it shoulda been. It really has been
several years now...

-Doug

"Practice on scrap, or you'll surely practice on your project" or sage
words to that effect.

--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:05:48 -0400, "George" stated
wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Ah you forgot Spokeshave and Larry Jaques (don't put a "c" in the last name,
he gets cranky), both of whom posted regular and useful advice back in the
mid to late 90's.
I look at the bulk of the posts today and shudder at how off topic or FAQed
they are compared to back then. The wreck was about fine woodworking and not
a general "It has a piece of wood somehwere in its construction so therefore
it goes to the wreck".

There was once a time I could read Tom Watson's posts without
seeing him (and fifty others) quote the troll of the bay every
time, too. I miss those days myself.

ps:What do ya'll do with all them beeman's wrappers :^)

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
.. .
There was once a day when I could read the thoughts of Patrick Leach.

There was once a day that I could read the thoughts of Walt Akers.

There was a once, too long ago, that I could glean the wisdom of
Paully Rad (r.i.p.).

O'Deen used to post every day, maybe every other day.

Duke of Urls was right there beside him.

--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------

Unisaw A100

What happened to Paully!?!?!?!?!

After pretty much suffering a year from hell he passed away
in February 2002.

Keith
Ray Kinzler

See what I mean, Dave?

Maybe I should re-word what I said. Maybe I should have said:

Sometimes it is better to be quiet than to be right. And sometimes it
is better to be quiet than to poke the coals.

I think it is time that we listened to what good old mom said so many
years ago: If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all.

All this schoolgirl stuff is ludicrous. I get more than I can stand
when my daughter has a bunch of her ten-year-old friends over the
house. Crikkies!