Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Disc Sander Question

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:14:19 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

Hoping that your smiley is for both comments, as it is impossible to
turn
disk sander disk around.;~)

I thought the same thing (arbor hole and shoulder.) Then I took a look
at this specific sander and wondered if Larry might have been right
about the flipability. See page 12, the exploded view:

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...7999/47404.pdf

But how would you flatten it against the motor hub if it's tapered?
It would tend to wobble horribly if that side were to be tapered.

Hummmmm, could I be wrong? Oh Noooooooo......

No, because..... There are reinforcement fins molded in on the back side
help keep the disk from warping when it is heated, AND those fins act as
the
fan to blow dust out of the chute. At least that is how my 12" Delta is
made.

Well, considering that the OP, Larry Blanchard, and I were all talking
about one particular HF 10" model...

Well it did have a exhaust port for the dust, it would need a fan of some
sort to keep the area cleared.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Ideally, yes. But this ain't yer mother's Festool, Leon. It's the
bottom end HF tool. While there isn't a fan, there is a dust chute
with vacuum port. Anybody doing much work with that tool would likely
want (or need!) to use it, too.

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

sort to keep the area cleared.- Hide quoted text -

If you look at Figure B on Page 6 of the manual, you'll see that the
exhuast port is mounted on lower front half of the disc, where the
debris would fall.

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...7999/47404.pdf

As far as I can tell, it doesn't use a fan to move the debris but
relies on the vacuum that would be attached to the port to draw the
debris out.

I ran it without a vacuum last night and some debris piled up on the
left leg, which tells me that without the vacuum there's not much
(other than the spinning disc) moving the debris out of the dust
collection area.

I don't have dust collection system so I use the same method for the
sander as I do for my miter saw:

I attached a 6" length of bicycle tube to the exhaust port and secured
it with a hose clamp. The hose from my Mighty Mite vacuum cleaner fits
snugly into the rubber tube. For quick jobs I just use the Mighty
Mite. For bigger jobs, I have an adaptor to attach the Mighty Mite
hose to my shop vac.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Ronald Reagan- Hide quoted text -

"It's the bottom end HF tool."

Hey, you take that back, pal!

HF carries a combination 6" disc/ 4"belt sander for $15 less than what
I paid for the 10" dedicated disc sander.

My machine is at least one link higher on the HF food chain. g
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/11 12:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"It's the bottom end HF tool."

Hey, you take that back, pal!

I think the line goes....
It's the bottom end Harbor Freight tool.
"Yeah, I heard you the first time, when you said "Harbor Freight."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 2:32*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/31/11 12:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"It's the bottom end HF tool."

Hey, you take that back, pal!

I think the line goes....
It's the bottom end Harbor Freight tool.
"Yeah, I heard you the first time, when you said "Harbor Freight."

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

I've been watching The This Old House Hour series where they are
adding an addition to house in a "mountain" community in LA.
Nevermind the value of the house itself, the addition alone must be
costing them millions.

To add a second story to the back of the house, they had to build 3
stories due to the slope of the lot and incorporate both earthquake
and "slope-side" building codes.

Hand plastering throughout the interior and hand stucco-ing for the
exterior (4-layers of material with an embedded mesh to prevent
cracks)

Arched doorways and passageways throughout the entire house, including
around the showers, etc.

Coved ceilings in every room. Hand forged iron gates and balcony
railings, all modeled after some of the original pieces.

Hand painted tiles in the bathrooms.

The costs must be staggering!

Topic related reason for all that information:

The guy in charge of the plastering crew who gets featured in almost
every episode has used more than a couple HF tools: multifunction,
reciprocating saw and I forget the tool he used for shaping the foam
used for the coves.

If they're good enough for that master craftsman, they're good enough
for me. g
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/31/11 2:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 31, 2:32 pm, wrote:
On 3/31/11 12:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

"It's the bottom end HF tool."

Hey, you take that back, pal!

I think the line goes....
It's the bottom end Harbor Freight tool.
"Yeah, I heard you the first time, when you said "Harbor Freight."

--

-MIKE-

The guy in charge of the plastering crew who gets featured in almost
every episode has used more than a couple HF tools: multifunction,
reciprocating saw and I forget the tool he used for shaping the foam
used for the coves.

If they're good enough for that master craftsman, they're good enough
for me.g

I have my fair share of HF tools, but I'm not going to try to convince
anyone that there's anything about them that resembles "quality." :-)

My feeling is if this POS gets the job done without causing me any
frustration or delays, awesome, I saved a bunch of cash. If not, I take
it back, no questions asked, and I go spend some real money on a quality
tool.

75% of their entire stock is absolute crap.
20% is decent and usable and gets the job done.
5% is actually the same quality as what you'd find anywhere else.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 2:32 pm, *wrote:
[...]

To elaborate.... there's nothing wrong with using a 5-cent cork to
stop your $ 100,000 yacht from sinking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 2:32 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Especially if you use a 20% off coupon when you buy the cork at HF!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:41:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Mar 31, 9:09Â*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
Ideally, yes. But this ain't yer mother's Festool, Leon. Â*It's the
bottom end HF tool. Â*While there isn't a fan, there is a dust chute
with vacuum port. Â*Anybody doing much work with that tool would likely
want (or need!) to use it, too.

"It's the bottom end HF tool."

Hey, you take that back, pal!

They carry two disc sanders, 10 and 12".

HF carries a combination 6" disc/ 4"belt sander for $15 less than what
I paid for the 10" dedicated disc sander.

My machine is at least one link higher on the HF food chain. g

Bzzzzt! Doesn't count. The other is a combination machine, not a
pure tool.

--
The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it.
-- Al Batt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:40:23 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Mar 31, 5:23Â*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
I have my fair share of HF tools, but I'm not going to try to convince
anyone that there's anything about them that resembles "quality." Â* :-)

My feeling is if this POS gets the job done without causing me any
frustration or delays, awesome, I saved a bunch of cash. Â*If not, I take
it back, no questions asked, and I go spend some real money on a quality
tool.

Precisely. And I'm usually pleasantly surprised when it turns out to
be a very decent tool.

75% of their entire stock is absolute crap.

Make that 40%. I've only returned maybe a dozen of their tools in the
past 40 years, and I'm currently the owner and user of hundreds of HF
tools. The Mechanic's vise I bought in the early '70s is still taking
3# hammer whacks and holding things tightly.

But I've seen that the quality of some of the tools wasn't even worth
trying out. I go to known brands for those items and am not let down.

20% is decent and usable and gets the job done.

And make that 60%. Most of this stuff just looks and feels
unfinished. Once you use the tool a time or three, it shapes up
nicely. A bit of sharpening, a bit o' deburring here and there, a drop
of oil or dab of grease, and Bob's yer Uncle.

5% is actually the same quality as what you'd find anywhere else.

You forgot the zero. That's 50%, guys. It just doesn't look it. And
the quality of their tools has skyrocketed in the past 20 years. What
used to be marginal is now pretty nice.

Agreed.

Now we can.

--
The secret of happiness is to make others believe they are the cause of it.
-- Al Batt
Posted to rec.woodworking

"chaniarts" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 07:01:51 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:20:31 -0500, Leon wrote:

;~) But the topic of the OP is a disk sander not an accessory for
a TS.

Leon, the OP wanted to know why his disc was tapered. We told him.
I also said that *if* his disc sander tilted like a table saw and
*if* he could rig up a rip fence, he could use it as if it were a
table saw.

Do you know of any disk sander that "tilts" like a TS and or one that
permits you to use the upper surface of the dish rather than the
center? I agree with you if something like this actually existed,
and it may, but I don't see a reason to explain how something would
work on something that probably does not exist as far as disk
sanders are concerned.

If not, turn the disc around, if possible, and use the flat side.
If both sides are tapered, take it back :-).

Hoping that your smiley is for both comments, as it is impossible to
turn a disk sander disk around.;~)

I thought the same thing (arbor hole and shoulder.) Then I took a look
at this specific sander and wondered if Larry might have been right
about the flipability. See page 12, the exploded view:

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...7999/47404.pdf

But how would you flatten it against the motor hub if it's tapered?
It would tend to wobble horribly if that side were to be tapered.

the motor hub could be machined to have the reverse taper.

LOL!!!

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

to help keep the disk from warping when it is heated, AND those fins act
as the fan to blow dust out of the chute. At least that is how my 12"
Delta is made.

But This sander is from Horrible Fright!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 2:32 pm, wrote:
[...]

Probably the best estimate I've seen and I've taken back a few things. I buy
more from them since they opened a store on my side of town. Cuts the return
time!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Mar 31, 5:23 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Fettling. I've found very few Brand names I didn't have to fettle to some
extent. 'Course I don't if one Fettles Festools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Every tapered plate I have seen (not all that many) is only tapered for
about 60% of the total diameter; the center 3-4" is flat.

I think the Shopsmith is more than that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:48:22 +0100, Oz wrote:

You do not need to tilt the disk, if you have a tilting table! I have
NEVER had a disk sander that did not have a tilting table, and checking
the HF site shows that theirs are no exception.

But it has to tilt in the right direction :-).

At least to utilize the "jointing" ability of a tapered disk. It appears
that the HF table only tilts away from the disk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Oz" wrote in message
You do not need to tilt the disk, if you have a tilting table! I have
NEVER had a disk sander that did not have a tilting table, and checking
the HF site shows that theirs are no exception.

This sander is ideal for the OP's original task, and for his other
possible uses, with the disk set vertical. It came at the right price and
time, use it I say and damn the doubters!

All the Best, Oz.

Sure the table tilts, but it would also have to raise or lower to the outer
edge of the disk so that the disk paper would not burn and or the taks not
take an eternity. Do you actually use a disk sander? I see that you have
apparently has more than one but I wonder.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 22:09:53 -0700, Lobby Dosser wrote:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:48:22 +0100, Oz wrote:

You do not need to tilt the disk, if you have a tilting table! I have
NEVER had a disk sander that did not have a tilting table, and
checking the HF site shows that theirs are no exception.

But it has to tilt in the right direction :-).

At least to utilize the "jointing" ability of a tapered disk. It
appears that the HF table only tilts away from the disk.

Can it be lowered?

Not from the looks of the diagrams in the manual.

BTW I was in Woodcraft last night for a turners meeting and took a look
at a Rikon 12" disk sander. It tilted both ways but I don't think it
raises or lowers either. And it appears to have a flat disk. Ah well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 1:09*am, "Lobby Dosser" wrote:
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:48:22 +0100, Oz wrote:

You do not need to tilt the disk, if you have a tilting table! I have
NEVER had a disk sander that did not have a tilting table, and checking
the HF site shows that theirs are no exception.

But it has to tilt in the right direction :-).

At least to utilize the "jointing" ability of a tapered disk. *It appears
that the HF table only tilts away from the disk.

Can it be lowered?

No. Well, at least it's not designed to be lowered. I'm sure that
with a big enough hammer, I could lower it. g

However, the table does come off completely fairly easily, so I guess
if one wanted to they could make an auxiliary table that would sit in
front of the unit at whatever height was necessary to use the sander
as a jointer.

To play on the old slogan of Con Ed:

"Jig we must"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep used a couple of bought in items, and built more out of surplus motors &
bits-n-bobs. Done some quite "odd" jobs, like building a spring-loaded
stopped slider to make accurately sized disks in large-ish batch numbers.l
Howeve I confess that I never thought of using them for jointing, I always
used a Festool saw & track for that.

Have a great day-week-month...............

"Leon" wrote in message

"Oz" wrote in message
You do not need to tilt the disk, if you have a tilting table! I have
NEVER had a disk sander that did not have a tilting table, and checking
the HF site shows that theirs are no exception.

This sander is ideal for the OP's original task, and for his other
possible uses, with the disk set vertical. It came at the right price and
time, use it I say and damn the doubters!

All the Best, Oz.

Sure the table tilts, but it would also have to raise or lower to the
outer edge of the disk so that the disk paper would not burn and or the
taks not take an eternity. Do you actually use a disk sander? I see that
you have apparently has more than one but I wonder.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Oz" wrote in message
Yep used a couple of bought in items, and built more out of surplus motors
& bits-n-bobs. Done some quite "odd" jobs, like building a spring-loaded
stopped slider to make accurately sized disks in large-ish batch numbers.l
Howeve I confess that I never thought of using them for jointing, I always
used a Festool saw & track for that.

Have a great day-week-month...............

I had a jointer for years and finally sold it a year so ago, I have been
using a sled to straighten my boards with a much higher degree of accuracy
than with the jointer and with much less effort. Now like you I use the
Festool 75 track saw to straighten my boards, less trouble than the sled and
not much risk for error.