Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Disc Sander Question

On Mar 31, 9:09*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:02:44 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:14:19 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Hoping that your smiley is for both comments, as it is impossible to
turn
disk sander disk around.;~)

I thought the same thing (arbor hole and shoulder.) Then I took a look
at this specific sander and wondered if Larry might have been right
about the flipability. *See page 12, the exploded view:

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...7999/47404.pdf

But how would you flatten it against the motor hub if it's tapered?
It would tend to wobble horribly if that side were to be tapered.

Hummmmm, could I be wrong? *Oh Noooooooo......

No, because..... *There are reinforcement fins molded in on the back side
help keep the disk from warping when it is heated, AND those fins act as
the
fan to blow dust out of the chute. *At least that is how my 12" Delta is
made.

Well, considering that the OP, Larry Blanchard, and I were all talking
about one particular HF 10" model...

Well it did have a exhaust port for the dust, it would need a fan of some
sort to keep the area cleared.

Ideally, yes. But this ain't yer mother's Festool, Leon. *It's the
bottom end HF tool. *While there isn't a fan, there is a dust chute
with vacuum port. *Anybody doing much work with that tool would likely
want (or need!) to use it, too.

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope

"It's the bottom end HF tool."

Hey, you take that back, pal!

HF carries a combination 6" disc/ 4"belt sander for $15 less than what
I paid for the 10" dedicated disc sander.

My machine is at least one link higher on the HF food chain. g