Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stationary Disc Sander - Shopsmith Steel Disc Good Enough to Use?

I have one of the aluminum Shopsmith discs that I bought off ebay to
replace the missing one from my secondhand SS. I think it's from the
older Shopsmith series. It's a little thicker and has reinforcing
ribs on the back and edges. It runs great and would make a fine
stationary disc sander.

I am told that if you want to run true, stay away from velcro backed
sandpaper discs. Just have 2-3 discs with PSA sandpaper of different
grits that you can change the whole disc on demand.

FWIW,
Bob the Tomato

On Tue, 08 May 2007 01:09:03 GMT, Larry wrote:

I am going to make a stationary disc sander with quick change discs. I
am considering using Shopsmith steel sanding plates, but don't know how
good they are. Do they run true?

Thanks

If you want to use my email address, you will have to take out the "7".

Posted to rec.woodworking

My SS discs are of the old, ribbed variety and the newer, flat steel.
Both types run true enough to use as edge sanders for panel glue ups
and the like.
I don't have a velcro disc but there doesn't appear to be any
complaints on the SSUSERS list.
I agree with a previous poster: buy a few and glue on different grits,
then just exchange the whole disc.
Gene

On May 8, 11:45 pm, Bob the Tomato wrote:
I have one of the aluminum Shopsmith discs that I bought off ebay to
replace the missing one from my secondhand SS. I think it's from the
older Shopsmith series. It's a little thicker and has reinforcing
ribs on the back and edges. It runs great and would make a fine
stationary disc sander.

I am told that if you want to run true, stay away from velcro backed
sandpaper discs. Just have 2-3 discs with PSA sandpaper of different
grits that you can change the whole disc on demand.

FWIW,
Bob the Tomato

On Tue, 08 May 2007 01:09:03 GMT, Larry wrote:
I am going to make a stationary disc sander with quick change discs. I
am considering using Shopsmith steel sanding plates, but don't know how
good they are. Do they run true?

Thanks

If you want to use my email address, you will have to take out the "7".- Hide quoted text -

Stationary Disc Sander - Shopsmith Steel Disc Good Enough to Use? Patriarch Woodworking 0 May 8th 07 04:29 PM
Stationary Disc Sander - Shopsmith Steel Disc Good Enough toUse? J T Woodworking 0 May 8th 07 05:37 AM
Disc Sander Belt sander Combo selection rbell Woodworking 7 March 20th 06 10:49 PM
Belt / Disc Sander? Dave Metalworking 3 May 14th 05 12:46 AM
sony 200 disc changer doesn't see disc jd Electronics Repair 7 September 9th 04 03:32 AM