Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How not to use a router

My arm has been in bandages from beyond my fingers to just short of my elbow
for four weeks. All because I was in a hurry and could not take the time to
install the handles on my 1 3/4 hp Porta-Cable router while I made just one
cut. Alright, I had a 3/4 diameter pattern bit in it. Alright, I was doing a
climb cut (just cleaning it up).

When the router jumped it cut my left hand from the base of my thumb towards
my elbow about six inches. If the router had came down across my wrist I
would have lost my hand. Thank God it did not, I only lost flesh and will
regain 100% of motion and control.

It only took 12 hours to get it fixed. First to the emergency room where
they controlled the bleeding and went looking for a hand surgeon. Then to a
different hospital where a hand surgeon was the trauma surgeon for the day
(real lucky on my part).

I am probably four more weeks away from starting therapy (physical)

Ya know, if I spent the extra 15 minutes setting up my router table this
story would never of happened.

If you are right handed, and cannot use your left hand at all (suddenly)
simple tasks (toothpaste, toilet paper, tying your shoes, etc.) become real
challenging.

There are many people with much more serious problems but I could have
prevented this one completely.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2011 9:39 PM, Ed Ahern wrote:
[...]

Very sorry to hear about that. Many of us are just luckier, having done
some similar things and got away with it.

Hope you heal fast, good luck, and thanks for the reminder that none of
us can be too careful.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 10:39*pm, "Ed Ahern" wrote:
[...]

Wow... I have dodged a few bullets in my time, but I guess in some way
you were lucky as well.
Thanks for reminding us to remain vigilant
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Ahern" wrote in message
[...]

Ed:

I'm very glad to know it wasn't an irrecoverable catastrophe. Best
wishes on
a full recovery.

There isn't anyone who hasn't used tools when tired, miffed or
otherwise
distracted who can't tell or be on the verge of telling a similar
account.
Thanks for reminding all of us what is most important.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am very sorry to hear about your accident. I think everyone who reads
what you wrote will take away something from it. I certainly wish you
the fastest recovery possible.

Bill in IN.

Ed Ahern wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Ahern" wrote in message
[...]

I also have had some injuys by not taking the time to set up properly,
however not as serious as yours. But I am learning and getting smarter about
what can happen. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Ahern" wrote in message
[...]

Hope you heal fast and get completely rehabilitated.

Oh, and thanks for sharing this with us. A very beneficial reminder for all
of us!

--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Ahern" wrote in message
If you are right handed, and cannot use your left hand at all (suddenly)
simple tasks (toothpaste, toilet paper, tying your shoes, etc.) become
real challenging.

Condolensces. Hope you're getting a suitable amount of painkillers. And as
far as those real challenges go, take some relief in that it could have been
your dominant right hand that was injured. Then stuff like you've described
above becomes much more of an irritation. So, heal up fast and once that's
done, we want to see pictures of the scar you'll have to remind you what
could have happened.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Ed Ahern" wrote in
:

My arm has been in bandages from beyond my fingers to just short of my
elbow for four weeks. All because I was in a hurry and could not take
the time to install the handles on my 1 3/4 hp Porta-Cable router
while I made just one cut. Alright, I had a 3/4 diameter pattern bit
in it. Alright, I was doing a climb cut (just cleaning it up).

When the router jumped it cut my left hand from the base of my thumb
towards my elbow about six inches. If the router had came down across
my wrist I would have lost my hand. Thank God it did not, I only lost
flesh and will regain 100% of motion and control.

It only took 12 hours to get it fixed. First to the emergency room
where they controlled the bleeding and went looking for a hand
surgeon. Then to a different hospital where a hand surgeon was the
trauma surgeon for the day (real lucky on my part).

snip
Hope you heal fast, Ed. Get a good therapist, and do the exercises
religiously. Get the good painkillers too (I got prescribed Ultracet,
which is a good one, just below Percoset, and not addicting too much
grin). DAMHIKT.

I cut a relatively small piece of 1/4" luan, when the cutoff decided to
ride the tablesaw several years ago. I needed plastic surgery on the
middle bone in my left ring finger (I'm right handed, and the piece came
off the right side of the saw), because the tendon was partially torn.
The router has been kind to me so far. (Knocking wood, uh, head). Have
to really sharpen my chisels so they don't jump into the meat part of my
fingers anymore.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

WW wrote:
"Ed Ahern" wrote in message

My arm has been in bandages from beyond my fingers to just short of
my elbow for four weeks. All because I was in a hurry and could not
take the time to install the handles on my 1 3/4 hp Porta-Cable
router while I made just one cut. Alright, I had a 3/4 diameter
pattern bit in it. Alright, I was doing a climb cut (just cleaning
it up).

...SNIP...

I also have had some injuys by not taking the time to set up properly,
however not as serious as yours. But I am learning and getting
smarter about what can happen. WW

Likewise, every near incident and every incident I've every had has been the
result of some short cut I took. Sometimes intentionally, knowing the
risks, and sometimes less intentionally. They've never been catastrophic
incidents - at least as it relates to body parts that are near and dear to
me, and I'm glad Ed's was no more severe than it was. Just goes to show...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Ahern wrote:

[...]

Came to the conclusion long ago that setup is 9/10ths of the job on almost
everything you do. Hoping you get well soon and learn the hard lesson. Glad
it wasn't any worse.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 9:39*pm, "Ed Ahern" wrote:

Ouch. That has to hurt, but as you indicate it is probably a good
lesson in safety. I got a comparatively minor nick from my table saw
several years ago that removed most of the meat from the end of a
finger and chipped the bone. Very painful but pretty easy heal. I
have not taken my eyes off of that blade, while it is turning, since
then. Take care of your wound because they can escalate.

Your post reminded me of the Modern Masters show several years ago.
They did one on Sam Maloof and focused on the process he went through
to build on of his rocking chairs. They actually showed video of him
holding one of the long vertical rails in one hand, and a fairly hefty
router in the other (probably a Bosch 1600 series). He held the rail
in front of him and shaped the rounded edges... some of the routing
done at arm's length.

It made my spine contract, and the host even mentioned his routing
technique. Sam smiled and said something like "Yeah, I pick up a band
aid now and then, but it gets the job done quickly." I'm thinking
"Holy crap and he still has hands!" I guess that is why he was a
master - and lucky. Imagine the strength that guy had in his hands
and arms.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , RonB wrote:

Your post reminded me of the Modern Masters show several years ago.
They did one on Sam Maloof and focused on the process he went through
to build on of his rocking chairs. They actually showed video of him
holding one of the long vertical rails in one hand, and a fairly hefty
router in the other (probably a Bosch 1600 series). He held the rail
in front of him and shaped the rounded edges... some of the routing
done at arm's length.

I remember seeing the same thing, and thinking to myself "What an IDIOT!"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Ahern" wrote

"Describe exactly how accident happened snipped ..............

Hope you heal quickly, and there is no residual damage.

I have had accidents, some this serious some not, but isn't it amazing how a
1.00347 second episode gets played back by our mind in three minute long
clips? Pre-accident, the accident, the .0358 second span when we realize
what has happened and what we did wrong, the time span thinking of "Oh,
****, now I'm in trouble with SWMBO, the scrambling for bandages, the "Oh,
****, how much is this going to cost, and am I covered, and lastly, "Is
there any way I can cover this up ............. maybe just wear a long
sleeved shirt for a few months?"

Not making light of a very serious episode, just reflecting on my own
thoughts from those 1.00347 second episodes.

Now, go buy yourself a damn fine router table AND LEAVE IT SET UP. For
those little jobs where it's too much trouble to set up a router table. I
have four routers, two loose, and two on tables. I hardly ever use the
loose ones except when the workpiece is too big.

Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Get well soon.

Steve - Only a newbie, and have the scars to prove
it...........................

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
Download the book.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Ahern" wrote in message
[...]

Well I have said this many times, regardless of how careful you think you
are it is more a matter of when and not if an accident will happen. I lost
half my left thumb 20 years ago so I know exactly how you feel.
The hard part is buttoning that long sleeve button. ;~) Good luck with
recovery, I never went through physical therapy although it was suggested.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

IIRC Sam Maloof did not have whole digits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:56:14 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Ed Ahern" wrote in message
[...]

That never would have happened if he'd had a RouterStop router (Now
only $37.5k!), huh?

(Condolences on your minor bad luck and congrats on the major good
luck, Ed.)

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that
we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear it wasn't worse and
you are on the mend. I certainly hope it mends very well. And thanks
for reminding us (me) to be careful to avoid these accidents.
`Casper