Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Hennessey[_2_] Edward  Hennessey[_2_] is offline

Default How not to use a router

"Ed Ahern" wrote in message
My arm has been in bandages from beyond my fingers to just short of
my elbow for four weeks. All because I was in a hurry and could not
take the time to install the handles on my 1 3/4 hp Porta-Cable
router while I made just one cut. Alright, I had a 3/4 diameter
pattern bit in it. Alright, I was doing a climb cut (just cleaning
it up).

When the router jumped it cut my left hand from the base of my thumb
towards my elbow about six inches. If the router had came down
across my wrist I would have lost my hand. Thank God it did not, I
only lost flesh and will regain 100% of motion and control.

It only took 12 hours to get it fixed. First to the emergency room
where they controlled the bleeding and went looking for a hand
surgeon. Then to a different hospital where a hand surgeon was the
trauma surgeon for the day (real lucky on my part).

I am probably four more weeks away from starting therapy (physical)

Ya know, if I spent the extra 15 minutes setting up my router table
this story would never of happened.

If you are right handed, and cannot use your left hand at all
(suddenly) simple tasks (toothpaste, toilet paper, tying your shoes,
etc.) become real challenging.

There are many people with much more serious problems but I could
have prevented this one completely.

Ed

Ed:

I'm very glad to know it wasn't an irrecoverable catastrophe. Best
wishes on
a full recovery.

There isn't anyone who hasn't used tools when tired, miffed or
otherwise
distracted who can't tell or be on the verge of telling a similar
account.
Thanks for reminding all of us what is most important.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey