Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default How not to use a router

On Jan 30, 9:39*pm, "Ed Ahern" wrote:

Ouch. That has to hurt, but as you indicate it is probably a good
lesson in safety. I got a comparatively minor nick from my table saw
several years ago that removed most of the meat from the end of a
finger and chipped the bone. Very painful but pretty easy heal. I
have not taken my eyes off of that blade, while it is turning, since
then. Take care of your wound because they can escalate.

Your post reminded me of the Modern Masters show several years ago.
They did one on Sam Maloof and focused on the process he went through
to build on of his rocking chairs. They actually showed video of him
holding one of the long vertical rails in one hand, and a fairly hefty
router in the other (probably a Bosch 1600 series). He held the rail
in front of him and shaped the rounded edges... some of the routing
done at arm's length.

It made my spine contract, and the host even mentioned his routing
technique. Sam smiled and said something like "Yeah, I pick up a band
aid now and then, but it gets the job done quickly." I'm thinking
"Holy crap and he still has hands!" I guess that is why he was a
master - and lucky. Imagine the strength that guy had in his hands
and arms.

RonB