Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router Table -- securing drop in plate/router assembly?

I'm building a router table, have my aluminum plate that will attach to
my 3 HP router and then rest in the tabletop on a ledge. (I'm building
Pat Warner's fence featured in Fine Woodworking Magazine and at his
site: http://www.patwarner.com/routerfence.html -- by the way the cost
of the materials other than wood or MDF was approximately $130)

I'm wondering if other tables have a design element where the plate is
secured from moving upwards. From the various designs I have reviewed
and the tables for sale I've seen in catalogs/online, I do not recall
seeing anything that secures the router plate/route assembly to the
table top.

For those who have router tables, is your plate assembly secured somehow
to the table it is resting in to prevent the entire assembly from moving
in an upward direction?

Seems to me an aggressive cut could cause the assembly to climb. Pat
Warner's table design has his router bolted. Maybe I've missed
something on these table inserts?

John
Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"John L. Poole" wrote in message
y.com...
[...]

I haven't seen such a problem on my Rockler table. The table relies on the
weight of thr router (more than the plate) and the weight of the plate to
keep everything in place.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
BB BB is offline

I have a PC 7518 with an Incra lift in the table - it must weigh 15 pounds
or more. . . also the Incra Jig fence is on top of the plate - it will not
lift. Unless you are doing some major door making or the like ( and then you
should be using a shaper. . .) it should not be a problem.
BB

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

The woodpecker's PRL has spring-loaded pistons that press against the
sides of the opening to help keep it in place, but mostly it's just
HEAVY. Plus, the wood is on top of the plate, also holding it down.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John L. Poole" wrote in message news:1Lhtg.130037

Snip

For those who have router tables, is your plate assembly secured somehow
to the table it is resting in to prevent the entire assembly from moving
in an upward direction?

Seems to me an aggressive cut could cause the assembly to climb. Pat
Warner's table design has his router bolted. Maybe I've missed something
on these table inserts?

No, It should not climb and aggressive cuts should actually pull the wood
down on to the plate. For years I just dropped the plate on the table and
was good to go.

That said, I did finally start using the screws to fasten the drop in plate
into the table top. The secure connection of the plate to the table greatly
lessens vibration noise.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

The plate itself is large enough that, when taking a cut, the part is on the
plate, holding it down. In any case, my table is in the Warner style. No
plate, router bolted directly. If you want a plate and would like to
restrain it, ball detents on the side would work.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

As others have mentioned, the weight of the router will keep the plate and
router down. However, I still used the threaded holes in my Rockler plate to
bolt my plate to the table, just to be sure it won't shift side to side or front
to back under the loads produced by cutting. There's a picture of the underside
mounting at http://home.san.rr.com/jeffnann/Wood...Shop/Shop.html
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
take a drop in router base. Bases are 1/2" plywood, fastened to the
router with screws, drop right in. Stay in place by the router weight,
don't even threaten to rise up.

Along the same lines, has anyone every noticed the plate jump when a 3+ hp
router has started up? (For those with older routers not having a soft
start?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
"J T" wrote in message
take a drop in router base. Bases are 1/2" plywood, fastened to the
router with screws, drop right in. Stay in place by the router weight,
don't even threaten to rise up.

Along the same lines, has anyone every noticed the plate jump when a 3+ hp
router has started up? (For those with older routers not having a soft
start?)

I had a Bosch 1611 IIRC hanging in one. It is large and does not have a
soft start. No problem with the plate jumping. The only problem as
mentioned earlier was the vibration noise if not fastened down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
soft start. No problem with the plate jumping. The only problem as
mentioned earlier was the vibration noise if not fastened down.

Perhaps a little bit of thin felt or flocking on the underside to prevent
that vibration?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
soft start. No problem with the plate jumping. The only problem as
mentioned earlier was the vibration noise if not fastened down.

Perhaps a little bit of thin felt or flocking on the underside to prevent
that vibration?

I use a Bench Dog router table and it uses about 10 or 12 blunt tipped
screws to level the insert. If they are not all perfectly in contact with
the plate vibration can be quite loud. Felt or flocking would probably
simply wear through in a short time as the collective area that the plate
rests on is about 3/8 to 1/2 square inches, divided by the number of screws.
The 2 diagonally opposed hold down screws work well to stop most of the
vibration noise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John L. Poole wrote:
[...]

I'm trying to think of an instance where I wasn't putting downward
pressure on the router plate while I was routing a piece of wood. I'm
coming up blank.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"J T" wrote in message
take a drop in router base. Bases are 1/2" plywood, fastened to the
router with screws, drop right in. Stay in place by the router weight,
don't even threaten to rise up.

Along the same lines, has anyone every noticed the plate jump when a 3+ hp
router has started up? (For those with older routers not having a soft
start?)

mine has an acrylic plate set flush in a particle board/melamine top.
the fit varies with temperature. part of the year it's pretty tight,
part of the year it's just a little loose. even when it's at it's
loosest I've never seen it move around at startup- the big freud, early
version, no soft start, single speed, about as much startup kick as any
router ever made.