Posted to rec.woodworking

Default One Man Saw - Red Green

I suppose some of you have seen this, but it's worth a rerun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRg8rJUXwQc

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 13:27:31 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

I suppose some of you have seen this, but it's worth a rerun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRg8rJUXwQc

Cute concept, but...

Man, I had forgotten just how bad TV had gotten. Laughtracks, silly
noises, 500 channels of noise, and 27-minutes/hour of commercials.
What's to like?

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I suppose some of you have seen this, but it's worth a rerun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRg8rJUXwQc

Cute concept, but...

Man, I had forgotten just how bad TV had gotten. Laughtracks, silly
noises, 500 channels of noise, and 27-minutes/hour of commercials.
What's to like?

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling

what's to like?? the fact that the shows are funny and entertaining.
sometimes even educational (myth busters) don't like commercials??
Then get a fukkin dvr and learn to use it.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I suppose some of you have seen this, but it's worth a rerun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRg8rJUXwQc

Cute concept, but...

Man, I had forgotten just how bad TV had gotten. Laughtracks, silly
noises, 500 channels of noise, and 27-minutes/hour of commercials.
What's to like?

what's to like?? the fact that the shows are funny and entertaining.

One mind-decay point proven for me! bseg

sometimes even educational (myth busters) don't like commercials??
Then get a fukkin dvr and learn to use it.

I gave up a DVR and 160 channels (I do miss the commercial-free music
channels, but they raped that, too, by killing the jazz/blues fusion
station.) for the peace, tranquility, and far higher intelligence of
books once again. It's not worth looking back. I'm getting more of
my projects done now, too.

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Man, I had forgotten just how bad TV had gotten. *Laughtracks, silly
noises, 500 channels of noise, and 27-minutes/hour of commercials.
What's to like?

Larry, me thinks you are trying to take Red too seriously.

Loosen up.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 8:12*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[snipped for effect]

....... and far higher intelligence of
books once again.

But whatcha gonna do when you get all those books coloured?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/16/2010 10:42 AM, RonB wrote:
wrote:

Man, I had forgotten just how bad TV had gotten. Laughtracks, silly
noises, 500 channels of noise, and 27-minutes/hour of commercials.
What's to like?

Larry, me thinks you are trying to take Red too seriously.

Loosen up.

RonB

I haven't seen Red's show in a few years, but I thought he was funny.
Reminds me a little of the writing of Patrick McManus who has written
several books of short stories and used to write a column for Field &
Stream magazine. I think Mr. McManus was a "Youper" (sp) though.

In high school, someone sitting next to me asked "Is it really that
funny?", to which I had to answer "Yes!" : )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Awesome!

The one I liked best was the snowplough dig-out saver.

A barrel of rocks, at the end of the driveway supported a vertical post
inserted into it. At the top of the post was a pulley system with a rope
attached to the end of a long 2x12, forming a ramp from the raised end at
the barrel to the other side of the driveway (up-traffic).

As the plough came down the street it's tire ran up the ramped 2x12 and
flattened it to the pavement. The other end of the pulley then hoisted up a
plywood wall across the end of the driveway, rejecting any snow dumping from
the plough blade.

He actually demonstrated it working like a charm (once!)... Was the best one
yet!

"Sonny" wrote in message
I suppose some of you have seen this, but it's worth a rerun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRg8rJUXwQc

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 15, 11:16*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

and 27-minutes/hour of commercials.

Is that bit true?!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 11:33*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Actually it's closer to 23 minutes of program and 7 minutes of
commercials out of every 30 minutes.

What is truly frustrating is that every station is synchronized with
every other station so that the all run commercials at the same time.

You can't escape.

Lew

Ah! That got me, but the TV of the states does have a rep for such
advertising. The synchronised advert thing is also present here, which
is irritating, but luckily I have a magic box to overcome such short-
term discomfort. I haven't really watched broadcast TV 'live' for
years. It's too painful. Especially seeing as the ads are badly
tailored to the channel / programme, and double especially since The
Discovery Channel started airing ads for everyone's least favourite
space-opera based crackpot cult.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 11:37*pm, Robatoy wrote:

Easy to DVR though... BUT! Nothing is more frustrating and annoying
than the pledge drives on PBS. You get lulled into a nice program and
then they make while they work every conceivable angle to pull a few
bucks out of your pocket...fukkum.. Kroft left them a billion, what?
Is all that money gone ?

Hey, at least you aren't held to ransom by a bloody TV license!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-11-16 19:08:46 -0500, "Lew Hodgett" said:

Say, "Thank you President Reagan".

Just one more example of a trickle down screw job of the masses.

Lew

Just as bad as de-funding that "pinko" public broadcasting, the relaxed
ownership rules leave us with about three huge conglomerates owning
most of the broadcast outlets has stifled any sort of creative or local
radio... which feeds the vapidity of what now passes for music. Excuse
me, make that "product."

Pre de-reg, ownership was limited to a handful of AM, FM, and TV
stations. Can't remember the limits now, but I seem to recall three of
each, and no more than two in combination in any market. Today, you'll
have any number of stations under common ownership operating out of the
same studios and offices. It may make sense to combine some operations
-- sales, for instance -- but having one jock cutting voice tracks for
multiple stations, or even multiple stations in multiple markets,
ensures "uniform and consistent mediocrity."

Not even sure it enhances shareholder value, no matter what Ronnie's
ideological successors tell us. And combining operations has failed to
save newspapers... circulation continues to shrink, the "news hole" and
ad revenues with it. It's not just a matter of another technology
(i.e., the intenet) overmhelming print and broadcast. When you "cut to
the bone" too severely, the patient can die.

No long range thinking -- and in the case of Ron, no thinking beyond
the next nap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote in
g.com:

Just as bad as de-funding that "pinko" public broadcasting, the
relaxed ownership rules leave us with about three huge conglomerates
owning most of the broadcast outlets has stifled any sort of creative
or local radio... which feeds the vapidity of what now passes for
music. Excuse me, make that "product."

*snip*

You've noticed that too? I don't even listen to local radio any more,
except for Cubs games, because the mix is too boring. If I find a radio
station that plays something I like, they usually repeat the same 4 hour
block again (just in case I missed it.) I could do a better job with a
MP3 player set on "Random."

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote:

[...]

Ah, but the other side of the coin is that YOU can start a broadcast station
without a lot of red-tape, hearings, public-necessity, community support,
anti-competitive complaining by established stations, etc.

Actually, the barrier to entry for an FM station is in the few tens of
thousands of dollars range. You can even subscribe to a station feed from
aggregators. That is, there is one company that determines the playlist and
feeds the results to any number of subscribers. It's likely that the exact
same music is going out, at the exact same time, to fifty stations around
the country.

In my town, Houston, there is ONE classical broadcast station and it's a PBS
affiliate (spit). I assume there is not another because it would not be
economically viable.

But who knows?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:42:05 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

wrote:

Man, I had forgotten just how bad TV had gotten. *Laughtracks, silly
noises, 500 channels of noise, and 27-minutes/hour of commercials.
What's to like?

Larry, me thinks you are trying to take Red too seriously.

Loosen up.

Whether or not the guy is funny, TV makes it an unenjoyable couple of
minutes. I hadn't remembered how bad a brain rotter it was since I
quit watching -ANY- TV about 3-1/2 years ago.

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:05:27 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Nov 16, 8:12*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[snipped for effect]

....... and far higher intelligence of
books once again.

But whatcha gonna do when you get all those books coloured?

Build a CNC crayon-eraser, _that's_ what.

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/17/10 6:34 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:42:05 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

wrote:

Man, I had forgotten just how bad TV had gotten. Laughtracks, silly
noises, 500 channels of noise, and 27-minutes/hour of commercials.
What's to like?

Larry, me thinks you are trying to take Red too seriously.

Loosen up.

Whether or not the guy is funny, TV makes it an unenjoyable couple of
minutes. I hadn't remembered how bad a brain rotter it was since I
quit watching -ANY- TV about 3-1/2 years ago.

Ok, Larry, we get it, you don't watch TV.
Now quit saying it in every stinkin thread. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

and 27-minutes/hour of commercials.

Is that bit true?!

Probably not quite, but for news programming, the last time I timed it
for the half hour nightly news, there were 13 minutes of commercials.
For decades, I got ****ed at the commercials always interrupting a
movie.

On TV, a movie will take 2 hours to be broadcast. When you go to buy
the same exact movie on DVD it's only, say, 87 minutes long.
Disgusting.

I recall BBC America being a bit better than that, though.
I wish they'd had more episodes of Red Cap. That Tamzin Outhwaite gal
was a real looker and I thoroughly enjoyed the shows; less predictable
than US programming.

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 17, 7:34*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:42:05 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

wrote:

Man, I had forgotten just how bad TV had gotten. *Laughtracks, silly
noises, 500 channels of noise, and 27-minutes/hour of commercials.
What's to like?

Larry, me thinks you are trying to take Red too seriously.

Loosen up.

Whether or not the guy is funny, TV makes it an unenjoyable couple of
minutes. *I hadn't remembered how bad a brain rotter it was since I
quit watching -ANY- TV about 3-1/2 years ago.

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- J. K. Rowling

She was a level-headed dancer on the road to alcohol
And I was just a soldier on my way to Montreal
Well she pressed her chest against me
About the time the juke box broke
Yeah, she gave me a peck on the back of the neck
And these are the words she spoke

[Chorus:]
Blow up your TV throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try an find Jesus on your own

Well, I sat there at the table and I acted real naive
For I knew that topless lady had something up her sleeve
Well, she danced around the bar room and she did the hoochy-coo
Yeah she sang her song all night long, tellin' me what to do

[Chorus]

Well, I was young and hungry and about to leave that place
When just as I was leavin', well she looked me in the face
I said "You must know the answer."
"She said, "No but I'll give it a try."
And to this very day we've been livin' our way
And here is the reason why

We blew up our TV threw away our paper
Went to the country, built us a home
Had a lot of children, fed 'em on peaches
They all found Jesus on their own

(John Prine)
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Paste wrote:
On Nov 16, 11:37 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Easy to DVR though... BUT! Nothing is more frustrating and annoying
than the pledge drives on PBS. You get lulled into a nice program and
then they make while they work every conceivable angle to pull a few
bucks out of your pocket...fukkum.. Kroft left them a billion, what?
Is all that money gone ?

Hey, at least you aren't held to ransom by a bloody TV license!

TV license - what the hell is that?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/10 4:38 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
David Paste wrote:
On Nov 16, 11:37 pm, wrote:

Easy to DVR though... BUT! Nothing is more frustrating and annoying
than the pledge drives on PBS. You get lulled into a nice program and
then they make while they work every conceivable angle to pull a few
bucks out of your pocket...fukkum.. Kroft left them a billion, what?
Is all that money gone ?

Hey, at least you aren't held to ransom by a bloody TV license!

TV license - what the hell is that?

A strange British thing.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote:
On 2010-11-16 19:08:46 -0500, "Lew Hodgett"
said:
[...]

Ok - I'm going to admit that I'm missing something. I just don't see how
this has anything at all to do with Regan's economic philosopy.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 18, 9:38*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

TV license - what the hell is that?

A permit to operate equipment capable of receiving and decoding
television broadcasts. Oh yes. Many countries have them apparently,
but it is seemingly only the UK which actually makes sure it's
extracted from the punters. It's 145 quid per year - a pretty penny
for the BBC, really. No wonder the Murdochs hate it. You can have a
license for 49 quid, but only if your telly is black & white!
Posted to rec.woodworking

-Mike-

Your answer makes it clear you have not watched the good shows on PBS.
Or your local PBS station is not funded enough to get the good programs.
Nightly Business Report, Nova, Antiques Roadshow, This Old House, Ask
This Old House, Rick Steve Travels, Globe Trek, The New Yankee Workshop,
American Woodshop, Wood Turning Workshop, Keeping Up Appearances, Are
you being Served, the Train travel shows, the food shows, the children
TV shows (sans overt ads for toys) are but a few of the great PBS
programs you will not see on Broadcast TV.

Now, I have noticed that not all PBSs are the same. In Chicago a few
years ago, I found the Good PBS programs were on an independent station.
The PBS badge station was an extended ballyhoo for Chicago.

PBS only allows the sponsor to make a 15 - 20 second pitch at he
beginning and / or end of program. I would allow a full minute, if it
meant less pledge drives.

Broadcast TV networks do not carry the variety that PBS does. So no
competing is taking place.

Mike in Ohio
snip
It should be cut altogether.
It's providing nothing that the private sector isn't.
Also, it hasn't been non-commercial in decades.
For that reason it is, in fact, competing with the private sector, which
public tax-payer dollars should never be used to do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael Kenefick wrote:
[...]

Mike, I agree with most everything you said. However, you can't argue
that PBS doesn't compete with other channels for the viewers time. The
Woodsmith Shop is the only show I record on DVR.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/10 6:03 PM, Michael Kenefick wrote:
-Mike-

Your answer makes it clear you have not watched the good shows on PBS.
Or your local PBS station is not funded enough to get the good programs.
Nightly Business Report, Nova, Antiques Roadshow, This Old House, Ask
This Old House, Rick Steve Travels, Globe Trek, The New Yankee Workshop,
American Woodshop, Wood Turning Workshop, Keeping Up Appearances, Are
you being Served, the Train travel shows, the food shows, the children
TV shows (sans overt ads for toys) are but a few of the great PBS
programs you will not see on Broadcast TV.

Incorrect assessment on your part. I regularly watch half the shows you
listed. I also am very familiar with public broadcasting and used to be
very involved with it in my last job, which contributes to my confidence
in saying it should be done away with.

PBS only allows the sponsor to make a 15 - 20 second pitch at he
beginning and / or end of program. I would allow a full minute, if it
meant less pledge drives.

Broadcast TV networks do not carry the variety that PBS does. So no
competing is taking place.

The competing to which I refer is for commercial sponsorship $$.

Broadcast TV (lets include all commercial television regardless of the
conduit: cable satellite, et al) does in fact carry the variety (I would
argue, more variety) of programming that PBS does. And if PBS were to
drop of the earth tomorrow, shows like those, and in fact, most of those
exact shows, would be picked up by commercial television. If there is a
demand, of course.... which is the only reason they should exist in the
first place. Personally, I believe the demand is there.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/10 6:27 PM, Bill wrote:
Michael Kenefick wrote:
Mike, I agree with most everything you said. However, you can't argue
that PBS doesn't compete with other channels for the viewers time. The
Woodsmith Shop is the only show I record on DVR.

Bill

I'm not talking about viewers time.
I'm talking about commercial sponsorship.

I worked at the Ohio University School of Telecommunications. We were in
the same broadcast building a facilities as WOUB PBS radio and television,
and worked very closely together. We also had student run, university
funded radio stations, which is essentially the same thing as public
broadcasting-- a radio station subsidized by public tax dollars.

The student radio station would sell advertising to local merchants and
other companies, just like the local commercial stations. The owners of
the local commercial stations took serious issue with this, as well they
should have. Most merchants have a set percentage in their budget for
advertising. They will only spend X% on advertising. You have a publicly
subsidized radio station now competing private stations for a cut of
that percentage. That is wrong and I'm fairly certain, illegal, but gets
completely ignored.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

OK WTF is "political license" then?

"David Paste" wrote in message
A permit to operate equipment capable of receiving and decoding
television broadcasts. Oh yes. Many countries have them apparently,
but it is seemingly only the UK which actually makes sure it's
extracted from the punters. It's 145 quid per year - a pretty penny
for the BBC, really. No wonder the Murdochs hate it. You can have a
license for 49 quid, but only if your telly is black & white!

On Nov 18, 9:38 pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

TV license - what the hell is that?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
-MIKE- wrote:
On 11/18/10 6:27 PM, Bill wrote:
Michael Kenefick wrote:
[...]

All broadcast stations in this country are subsidized by the government.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On 11/18/10 6:27 PM, Bill wrote:
Michael Kenefick wrote:
[...]

University activities often fall in special categories. A student radio
station is (or should be anyway) intended to teach students how to run a
radio station, not just to provide entertainment to students. Part of
running a radio station is the business side of it and if the student
station can't sell advertising then it can't provide experience in the
business end of running a radio station. Ergo to do its job it has to
be able to sell advertising.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

In article ,
-MIKE- wrote:
On 11/18/10 6:27 PM, Bill wrote:
Michael Kenefick wrote:
[...]

You live in England?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 19, 2:27*am, "Josepi" wrote:
OK WTF is "political license" then?

Self-indulgent 'permission' politicians grant themselves to spout
******** at the general public's expense? I dunno, what d'you reckon?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 19, 10:48*am, David Paste wrote:
On Nov 19, 2:27*am, "Josepi" wrote:

OK WTF is "political license" then?

Self-indulgent 'permission' politicians grant themselves to spout
******** at the general public's expense? I dunno, what d'you reckon?

Errrmmm 'reckoning' isn't Josepi's strong suit, David.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/19/10 5:09 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

On 11/18/10 6:27 PM, Bill wrote:
Michael Kenefick wrote:
[...]

That doesn't make it right or legal.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 19, 5:11*pm, Robatoy wrote:

Errrmmm 'reckoning' isn't Josepi's strong suit, David.

Ah, I see.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On 11/18/10 6:27 PM, Bill wrote:
Michael Kenefick wrote:
[...]

It's right because new employees for the broadcasting industry have be
trained, and legal because universities get a free ride on all sorts of
things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/19/10 4:40 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

On 11/18/10 6:27 PM, Bill wrote:
Michael Kenefick wrote:
[...]

They get plenty of training. Besides, broadcast sales has about as much
to do with broadcasting as running being a waitress has to do with
raising cattle.
In any case, any salesman in the real world will tell you that they
learned virtually nothing in school that helped them with sales.

But all that is moot, and I'm sorry you guys can't seem to help getting
caught up in the metaphor, instead of the topic.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

How does one go about getting one of them there "political licenses" and how
much do you reckon they cost?

Then we should go after a "poetic licence". Hard to believe people have to
pay to write poetry! Maybe in the UK. They have to pay to listen to a radio.

"David Paste" wrote in message
Ah, I see.

On Nov 19, 5:11 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Errrmmm 'reckoning' isn't Josepi's strong suit, David.

Green libs cause green pipes Wes[_2_] Metalworking 16 March 5th 10 06:16 AM
Think Green ! HeyBub Home Repair 0 December 18th 06 04:17 AM
FS: Green & Green book Rick Stein Woodworking 2 October 11th 03 03:59 AM