Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default One Man Saw - Red Green

On 11/18/10 6:03 PM, Michael Kenefick wrote:
-Mike-

Your answer makes it clear you have not watched the good shows on PBS.
Or your local PBS station is not funded enough to get the good programs.
Nightly Business Report, Nova, Antiques Roadshow, This Old House, Ask
This Old House, Rick Steve Travels, Globe Trek, The New Yankee Workshop,
American Woodshop, Wood Turning Workshop, Keeping Up Appearances, Are
you being Served, the Train travel shows, the food shows, the children
TV shows (sans overt ads for toys) are but a few of the great PBS
programs you will not see on Broadcast TV.

Incorrect assessment on your part. I regularly watch half the shows you
listed. I also am very familiar with public broadcasting and used to be
very involved with it in my last job, which contributes to my confidence
in saying it should be done away with.

PBS only allows the sponsor to make a 15 - 20 second pitch at he
beginning and / or end of program. I would allow a full minute, if it
meant less pledge drives.

Broadcast TV networks do not carry the variety that PBS does. So no
competing is taking place.

The competing to which I refer is for commercial sponsorship $$.

Broadcast TV (lets include all commercial television regardless of the
conduit: cable satellite, et al) does in fact carry the variety (I would
argue, more variety) of programming that PBS does. And if PBS were to
drop of the earth tomorrow, shows like those, and in fact, most of those
exact shows, would be picked up by commercial television. If there is a
demand, of course.... which is the only reason they should exist in the
first place. Personally, I believe the demand is there.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--