Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default One Man Saw - Red Green

In article ,
-MIKE- wrote:
On 11/18/10 6:27 PM, Bill wrote:
Michael Kenefick wrote:
Mike, I agree with most everything you said. However, you can't argue
that PBS doesn't compete with other channels for the viewers time. The
Woodsmith Shop is the only show I record on DVR.

Bill

I'm not talking about viewers time.
I'm talking about commercial sponsorship.

I worked at the Ohio University School of Telecommunications. We were in
the same broadcast building a facilities as WOUB PBS radio and television,
and worked very closely together. We also had student run, university
funded radio stations, which is essentially the same thing as public
broadcasting-- a radio station subsidized by public tax dollars.

The student radio station would sell advertising to local merchants and
other companies, just like the local commercial stations. The owners of
the local commercial stations took serious issue with this, as well they
should have. Most merchants have a set percentage in their budget for
advertising. They will only spend X% on advertising. You have a publicly
subsidized radio station now competing private stations for a cut of
that percentage. That is wrong and I'm fairly certain, illegal, but gets
completely ignored.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

All broadcast stations in this country are subsidized by the government.