Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw blade recommendations

I just ordered a Jet 14" band saw and believe I will need to get one
or more additional blades for specific purposes.

I looked through several threads, some as old as four years, about
Band saw blade recommendations. One brand, Timberwolf, was praised by
some and jeered by others. What are your opinions today?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gordon Shumway wrote:

I just ordered a Jet 14" band saw and believe I will need to get one
or more additional blades for specific purposes.

I looked through several threads, some as old as four years, about
Band saw blade recommendations. One brand, Timberwolf, was praised by
some and jeered by others. What are your opinions today?

I agree with Gordon, the Woodslicer is the best of the four blades I have
tried.

The Olson, Carter and Timberwolf all did a much poorer job of both providing
a smooth cut and being able to guide the cut.

IMHO, you can pay more, but you cannot do better.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
I just ordered a Jet 14" band saw and believe I will need to get one
or more additional blades for specific purposes.

I looked through several threads, some as old as four years, about
Band saw blade recommendations. One brand, Timberwolf, was praised by
some and jeered by others. What are your opinions today?

IMHO the performance of the blade will depend greatly on the quality of the
saw.

Approximately 5 years ago I ordered a Rikon 18" band saw and used it for 2
weeks in my shop. I ordered Timberwolf blades for it and had tracking
problems with 3/4 of them. No tracking problems with a local made blade and
no tracking problems with the blade that came with the saw. Timberwolf was
very helpful with returns and replacements but we were not successful.
Basically I also had other issues with the guide system on the Rikon. I was
looking for an upgrade from my previous Craftsman BS. The Rikon was not it
and I returned it.

3 months later I took delivery on an LT16HD Laguna BS, Timberwolf took back
all my blades in exchange for ones that would fit the Laguna. I have never
had a single issue with any of the 3 brands of blades used on this saw,
except for the blade my wife broke on Saturday. ;`(

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:18:10 -0600, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

I just ordered a Jet 14" band saw and believe I will need to get one
or more additional blades for specific purposes.

I looked through several threads, some as old as four years, about
Band saw blade recommendations. One brand, Timberwolf, was praised by
some and jeered by others. What are your opinions today?

Thanks for your replies. I think I will try the Woodslicer and the
Timberwolf and see how they work on my saw.

Thanks again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Gordon Shumway wrote:
I just ordered a Jet 14" band saw and believe I will need to get one
or more additional blades for specific purposes.

I looked through several threads, some as old as four years, about
Band saw blade recommendations. One brand, Timberwolf, was praised by
some and jeered by others. What are your opinions today?

I'll never buy another Timberwolf again -- I get significantly better cut
quality from Olson blades at less than half the price.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow, I have just the opposite results. The olsons when resawing don't
cut nearly as well as the timberwolfs. The timberwolf tracks straighter,
and cuts easier.

I guess that's why there are many vendors, what works for one may not
work for another.

On 11/4/2010 10:04 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , Gordon wrote:
I just ordered a Jet 14" band saw and believe I will need to get one
or more additional blades for specific purposes.

I looked through several threads, some as old as four years, about
Band saw blade recommendations. One brand, Timberwolf, was praised by
some and jeered by others. What are your opinions today?

I'll never buy another Timberwolf again -- I get significantly better cut
quality from Olson blades at less than half the price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In , Gordon *wrote:
I just ordered a Jet 14" band saw and believe I will need to get one
or more additional blades for specific purposes.

I looked through several threads, some as old as four years, about
Band saw blade recommendations. *One brand, Timberwolf, was praised by
some and jeered by others. *What are your opinions today?

I'll never buy another Timberwolf again -- I get significantly better cut
quality from Olson blades at less than half the price.

Though I love my TimberWolf blades for every day work, ...

I DO go to the 1/2" Wood Slicer for resaw, and ...

Have heard GREAT things about Lenox bi-metal. Just received mine, in
1/4" and 1/2".

Good primer:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=149862