Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sawzall blade recommendations?

I used to have a childrens playset in the back yard. A fire got started
and it burnt down. The slide burnt down into a puddle of plastic. I
was able to cut most of it with a skills saw but I'm left with a mass
wrapped around a pole.

The plastic is about 4-5 inches thick, and hard. What type of blade
would you recommend to cut thru the plastic. I need to make about 2
cuts 3-4 inches long in order to remove it from the pole.

Also, I have 2 tires sticking out of the ground that I want to cut.
I'll dig down to where the cement is buried and holding the tires and
cut them off at the root. Is any special blade required to cut thru
some tires?

Thanks for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"salad" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I used to have a childrens playset in the back yard. A fire got started
and it burnt down. The slide burnt down into a puddle of plastic. I was
able to cut most of it with a skills saw but I'm left with a mass wrapped
around a pole.

The plastic is about 4-5 inches thick, and hard. What type of blade would
you recommend to cut thru the plastic. I need to make about 2 cuts 3-4
inches long in order to remove it from the pole.

Most any blade should do. Not so fine as a metal blade, not as coarse as
for rough work. Heck, I'd just use whatever blade happend to be in the saw
at the time for a few cuts.

Also, I have 2 tires sticking out of the ground that I want to cut. I'll
dig down to where the cement is buried and holding the tires and cut them
off at the root. Is any special blade required to cut thru some tires?

Never cut tires, but I'd start with the same blade as above.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

These are hard to beat:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-0.../dp/B00002248Y

--
Steve Barker

"salad" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I used to have a childrens playset in the back yard. A fire got started
and it burnt down. The slide burnt down into a puddle of plastic. I was
able to cut most of it with a skills saw but I'm left with a mass wrapped
around a pole.

The plastic is about 4-5 inches thick, and hard. What type of blade would
you recommend to cut thru the plastic. I need to make about 2 cuts 3-4
inches long in order to remove it from the pole.

Also, I have 2 tires sticking out of the ground that I want to cut. I'll
dig down to where the cement is buried and holding the tires and cut them
off at the root. Is any special blade required to cut thru some tires?

Thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 15, 4:19 pm, salad wrote:
I used to have a childrens playset in the back yard. A fire got started
and it burnt down. The slide burnt down into a puddle of plastic. I
was able to cut most of it with a skills saw but I'm left with a mass
wrapped around a pole.

The plastic is about 4-5 inches thick, and hard. What type of blade
would you recommend to cut thru the plastic. I need to make about 2
cuts 3-4 inches long in order to remove it from the pole.

Also, I have 2 tires sticking out of the ground that I want to cut.
I'll dig down to where the cement is buried and holding the tires and
cut them off at the root. Is any special blade required to cut thru
some tires?

Thanks for any help.

I keep a demolition blade in mine - cuts wood, nails, metal, darn near
everything. I would think it would cut the steel belts in a tire with
no problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 15, 6:19 pm, salad wrote:
I used to have a childrens playset in the back yard. A fire got started
and it burnt down. The slide burnt down into a puddle of plastic. I
was able to cut most of it with a skills saw but I'm left with a mass
wrapped around a pole.

The plastic is about 4-5 inches thick, and hard. What type of blade
would you recommend to cut thru the plastic. I need to make about 2
cuts 3-4 inches long in order to remove it from the pole.

Also, I have 2 tires sticking out of the ground that I want to cut.
I'll dig down to where the cement is buried and holding the tires and
cut them off at the root. Is any special blade required to cut thru
some tires?

Thanks for any help.

Here's a different approach that might work faster: Rent or buy a
torch/burner for your propane tank. The plastic was formed by heat, so
controlled heat should take it off quickly without scarring the post
with a saw blade. Use a short 1 x 3 as a wooden paddle to remove the
plastic as it softens.
For the tires, dig down to the cement and use a sufficiently long 4 x
4 post through the tire loop to pull it out of the ground. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

salad wrote:
I used to have a childrens playset in the back yard. A fire got started
and it burnt down. The slide burnt down into a puddle of plastic. I
was able to cut most of it with a skills saw but I'm left with a mass
wrapped around a pole.

The plastic is about 4-5 inches thick, and hard. What type of blade
would you recommend to cut thru the plastic. I need to make about 2
cuts 3-4 inches long in order to remove it from the pole.

Also, I have 2 tires sticking out of the ground that I want to cut. I'll
dig down to where the cement is buried and holding the tires and cut
them off at the root. Is any special blade required to cut thru some
tires?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you all for your assistance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't any thing but Lennox blades You can bend me straight me bend me
straighten me many times and they keep right on cutting Just be sure and get
the right teeth for the metal to be cut according to the thickness of the
metal
"salad" wrote in message
hlink.net...