DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sawzall blade recommendations? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/195155-sawzall-blade-recommendations.html)

salad March 15th 07 11:19 PM

Sawzall blade recommendations?

I used to have a childrens playset in the back yard. A fire got started
and it burnt down. The slide burnt down into a puddle of plastic. I
was able to cut most of it with a skills saw but I'm left with a mass
wrapped around a pole.

The plastic is about 4-5 inches thick, and hard. What type of blade
would you recommend to cut thru the plastic. I need to make about 2
cuts 3-4 inches long in order to remove it from the pole.

Also, I have 2 tires sticking out of the ground that I want to cut.
I'll dig down to where the cement is buried and holding the tires and
cut them off at the root. Is any special blade required to cut thru
some tires?

Thanks for any help.

Edwin Pawlowski March 16th 07 01:35 AM

Sawzall blade recommendations?

"salad" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I used to have a childrens playset in the back yard. A fire got started
and it burnt down. The slide burnt down into a puddle of plastic. I was
able to cut most of it with a skills saw but I'm left with a mass wrapped
around a pole.

The plastic is about 4-5 inches thick, and hard. What type of blade would
you recommend to cut thru the plastic. I need to make about 2 cuts 3-4
inches long in order to remove it from the pole.

Most any blade should do. Not so fine as a metal blade, not as coarse as
for rough work. Heck, I'd just use whatever blade happend to be in the saw
at the time for a few cuts.

Also, I have 2 tires sticking out of the ground that I want to cut. I'll
dig down to where the cement is buried and holding the tires and cut them
off at the root. Is any special blade required to cut thru some tires?

Never cut tires, but I'd start with the same blade as above.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Steve Barker March 16th 07 02:23 AM

Sawzall blade recommendations?

These are hard to beat:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-0.../dp/B00002248Y

--
Steve Barker

hlink.net...

Bob March 16th 07 03:25 AM

On Mar 15, 4:19 pm, salad wrote:
I used to have a childrens playset in the back yard. A fire got started
and it burnt down. The slide burnt down into a puddle of plastic. I
was able to cut most of it with a skills saw but I'm left with a mass
wrapped around a pole.

The plastic is about 4-5 inches thick, and hard. What type of blade
would you recommend to cut thru the plastic. I need to make about 2
cuts 3-4 inches long in order to remove it from the pole.

Also, I have 2 tires sticking out of the ground that I want to cut.
I'll dig down to where the cement is buried and holding the tires and
cut them off at the root. Is any special blade required to cut thru
some tires?

Thanks for any help.

I keep a demolition blade in mine - cuts wood, nails, metal, darn near
everything. I would think it would cut the steel belts in a tire with
no problem.

Joe March 16th 07 04:11 AM

On Mar 15, 6:19 pm, salad wrote:
I used to have a childrens playset in the back yard. A fire got started
and it burnt down. The slide burnt down into a puddle of plastic. I
was able to cut most of it with a skills saw but I'm left with a mass
wrapped around a pole.

The plastic is about 4-5 inches thick, and hard. What type of blade
would you recommend to cut thru the plastic. I need to make about 2
cuts 3-4 inches long in order to remove it from the pole.

Also, I have 2 tires sticking out of the ground that I want to cut.
I'll dig down to where the cement is buried and holding the tires and
cut them off at the root. Is any special blade required to cut thru
some tires?

Thanks for any help.

Here's a different approach that might work faster: Rent or buy a
torch/burner for your propane tank. The plastic was formed by heat, so
controlled heat should take it off quickly without scarring the post
with a saw blade. Use a short 1 x 3 as a wooden paddle to remove the
plastic as it softens.
For the tires, dig down to the cement and use a sufficiently long 4 x
4 post through the tire loop to pull it out of the ground. HTH

Joe

salad March 17th 07 04:06 PM

salad wrote:
I used to have a childrens playset in the back yard. A fire got started
and it burnt down. The slide burnt down into a puddle of plastic. I
was able to cut most of it with a skills saw but I'm left with a mass
wrapped around a pole.

The plastic is about 4-5 inches thick, and hard. What type of blade
would you recommend to cut thru the plastic. I need to make about 2
cuts 3-4 inches long in order to remove it from the pole.

Also, I have 2 tires sticking out of the ground that I want to cut. I'll
dig down to where the cement is buried and holding the tires and cut
them off at the root. Is any special blade required to cut thru some
tires?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Larry and a Cat named Dub March 18th 07 01:36 AM

Sawzall blade recommendations?

I don't any thing but Lennox blades You can bend me straight me bend me
straighten me many times and they keep right on cutting Just be sure and get
the right teeth for the metal to be cut according to the thickness of the
metal
"salad" wrote in message
hlink.net...