SteveB

Default Sawzall recommendations

I am going to buy a Sawzall. DeWalt has one on sale for $99. If you were
going to buy a general use Sawzall for around $100, what would you buy and
why?

TIA

Steve

Jim Levie

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:07:18 +0000, TSJABS wrote:

Having used many "sawzalls" in the industrial construction industry and
elsewhere I can tell you there is NO substitute for a Milwaukee brand
sawzall. I have seen contractors buy off brand replacements for the off
brand replacements for the old Milwaukee's that are still living on. For
a little more cash you should get the Milwaukee with the 1 1/4 stroke.
You won't be sorry although your friends won't as they will want to borrow
it.

Agreed, spend a bit more and get the Milwaukee. And if you use it around
other folks keep one hand on it, cause they will "covet your tool" and it
can grow legs faster than you can blink. The lifetime of an unattended
Milwaukee tool at a job site can be measured in seconds. On the other hand
it isn't unusual to see a DeWalt or similar in the trash at the end of the
job.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Richard Ferguson

I have a Milwaukee Super Sawzall that I love. It was the winner in a
Fine Homebuilding comparison test a few years ago. It looks like an
Uzi, and is about as powerful.

One great feature that it has is two speed controls, a knob and the
trigger. For metal, I set the knob at a low speed, and then the trigger
takes you from zero to the low speed. Makes the speed very
controllable. I would never buy a sawzall type unit without that
feature. If you only work with wood you don't need that feature, the
trigger alone is adequate.

Richard

SteveB wrote:

I am going to buy a Sawzall. DeWalt has one on sale for $99. If you were
going to buy a general use Sawzall for around $100, what would you buy and
why?

TIA

Steve

GTO69RA4

I am going to buy a Sawzall. DeWalt has one on sale for $99. If you were
going to buy a general use Sawzall for around $100, what would you buy and
why?

TIA

Steve

The Milwaukee Super Sawzall is so far above the others it isn't even close. It
is a bit over $100, though. You might be able to get a refurb one off eBay or
Amazon in your range. They last forever.

In your price range, a small Sawzall would be most durable. There other others
with much more power, like DeWalt and PC. For less-than-everyday-use they'd be
fine.

GTO(John)
Gunner

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:56:53 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I am going to buy a Sawzall. DeWalt has one on sale for $99. If you were
going to buy a general use Sawzall for around $100, what would you buy and
why?

TIA

Steve

Id go to the swap meet and pick up a Milwaulkee variable speed Sawzall
for $50-60.

Which is exactly what I did.

The second one cost me $15 at the Goodwill and $5 for new (non
factory) cord set (not removable)

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article 5aNxd.58794$DC.28546@fed1read03, SteveB
wrote:

I am going to buy a Sawzall. DeWalt has one on sale for $99. If you were
going to buy a general use Sawzall for around $100, what would you buy and
why?

TIA

Steve

Milwaukee Super Sawzall.
Beats all the competition hands down.
The patented counterweight system keeps your wrist from getting
pulverized by the backlash.

I used to spend 8 hour days sawzalling up stage scenery.
Tigersaws have more power but they beat the crap out of your wrist.

Dewalts can't take the abuse.
Niether can Makita, or Ryobi.

Hitachi is good, but Milwaukee is still the best.
Anthony

"SteveB" wrote in

I am going to buy a Sawzall. DeWalt has one on sale for $99. If you
were going to buy a general use Sawzall for around $100, what would
you buy and why?

TIA

Steve

From years of industrial use of various brands...when it comes to a
sawzall...there is NO substitute for a Milwaukee. Get the Super-Sawzall,
you will not be disappointed. Same goes for a porta-band...

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Anthony

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in
:

wrote:

I am going to buy a Sawzall. DeWalt has one on sale for $99. If you
were going to buy a general use Sawzall for around $100, what would
you buy and why?

TIA

Steve

Milwaukee Super Sawzall.
Beats all the competition hands down.
The patented counterweight system keeps your wrist from getting
pulverized by the backlash.

I used to spend 8 hour days sawzalling up stage scenery.
Tigersaws have more power but they beat the crap out of your wrist.

Dewalts can't take the abuse.
Niether can Makita, or Ryobi.

Hitachi is good, but Milwaukee is still the best.

Hehe...after reading the rest of the posts....seems we have a more than a
consensus...it's a downright drubbing.
If he buys anything else....he's been duely warned....

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Roy

wrote:

===I am going to buy a Sawzall. DeWalt has one on sale for $99. If you were
===going to buy a general use Sawzall for around $100, what would you buy and
===why?
===
===TIA
===
===Steve
===

I have both Milwaukee and PC and prefer the Tiger Saw by Porter-Cable
over the milwaukee as fasr as power and feel.......
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:56:53 -0800, "SteveB"
calmly ranted:

I am going to buy a Sawzall. DeWalt has one on sale for $99. If you were
going to buy a general use Sawzall for around $100, what would you buy and
why?

I got a Porter Cable #738 Tiger Saw for that price. It's a beefy
bahstuhd, variable speed with movable nose. I'm happy after demoing
my kitchen with it. Milwaukee is about double that but also a good
choice. Dunno 'bout the DW. I believe some of their new stuff is
consumer-grade Chiwanese import. Caveat Emptor.

Murphy was an Optimist
----------------------------

Roy

I dunno about a PC not lasting. I have a few friends that have a steel
building and fabrication business and the only brand they have is PC
and they are sure not babied or new tools by anby stretch of the
imagination and they work great. This was the main reason I got my PC
after seeing what they put their tools through and not having any
problems. I agree, there is nothing wrong a with Milwaukee
either........and would probably say its a toss up according to
features your looking for between Milwaukee and PC. I like the
rotating handle and utilize it quite a lot. I do not like tools where
the power cord is removeable, like lots of the Milwaukee tools are
capable of.

What ever brand yu get make sure you get the quick change blade holder
of the variety that does not require any tools...........
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Jim Levie

wrote:

===I am going to buy a Sawzall. DeWalt has one on sale for $99. If
you were ===going to buy a general use Sawzall for around $100, what
would you buy and ===why?
===
===TIA
===
===Steve
===

I have both Milwaukee and PC and prefer the Tiger Saw by Porter-Cable
over the milwaukee as fasr as power and feel....... Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wife, I
had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

A dissenter! Get a rope!!

Naah, he's just confused. Seriously, I've used both and I'll agree that
the PC has a bit more power. But, if you use it for a few hours or more
don't be surprised to find your wrist or elbow hurting the next day. The
counter balancing in the Milwaukee is superior.

"They can have my Milwaukee tools when they can pry them from my cold dead
fingers", says Jim.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

I am going to buy a Sawzall. DeWalt has one on sale for $99. If you were
going to buy a general use Sawzall for around $100, what would you buy and
why?

Milwaukee, hands down. Even if you have to blow the budget a bit -
you're buying once for the next 20 years, don't cheap out over $20 or
you'll just have to do it again later.

I have an older Milwaukee variable-speed Sawzall (regular hex-wrench
chuck) I can't kill - well, I do need to get a new detachable cord or
shorten the existing one past the sheath damage at the saw end
connector, but that's to be expected with rubber SO cord. That's why
they invented electrical tape, instant strain relief...

As for cordless tools, the reciprocating saw in my DeWalt 18V 4-pack
has been doing yeoman duty in day-to-day use slicing up EMT and other
little stuff. But for bigger jobs, I grab the Milwaukee.

The problem with cordless tools is you have to choose carefully that
all the tools you need are available before you pick one brand and
battery voltage and stay with it. Or you soon have an explosion of 6
different battery pack types and two or three spares of each taking
over all your storage space. (And your wallet - they're not cheap.)

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Ron M.

I would be careful about DeWalt. Like many brands, their quality has
become questionable as their popularity has grown. Remember when Black
& Decker was the only way to go? Now they're little more than toys.

Anyway, ditto on Milwaukee. You can throw one of these down and drive
over it with a tank, then pick it up and use it. Another good one is
the Porter-Cable Tiger. 99.999% of the sawzalls you see at
construction sites will be one of these two.

Ron M.