Ron

Default Band saw blade recommendations needed..

Just finished assembly of my new Delta 14" BS today.

It came with a 1/4" blade, regular tooth (I believe).

Anyways, I'll be needing a 1/2" blade for resawing
plus an "All purpose blade"..

I don't mind paying a bit more for the Carbide, sounds like its worth the
money.

The local Rockler's stocks Olson blades, are they a good choice?
If not, any suggestions?

ThankX,
Ron

Will

This guy has a lot of info on bandsaw blades ...

http://www.tufftooth.com/

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Olebiker

I am ordering a WoodSlicer blade from Highland Hardware this morning.
I just saw some red oak that was resawn using a WoodSlicer and it was a
whole bunch mo' betta than what I have been able to do with my blades.

Dick Durbin

jo4hn

I have WoodSlicer (Highland Hardware) and Timberwolf (Suffolk machinery,
www.suffolkmachinery.com/ ) blades. Both work well.
mahalo,
jo4hn

nospambob

After trying the Highland Hardware Woodslicer, the version previous to
the current one, and high tension I read about the low tension blades
PS was selling at shows. About that time a thread showed up here
discussing a magazine article several years ago touting super high
tension and the repair facilities being flooded with bearing
replacement work. Found out PS was selling Suffol Machinery blades
and called them and haven't looked further. 1-800-234-SAWS and give
them blade length and what you want to do and listen to their
suggestion.

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:53:45 -0500, "Ron"
wrote:

Just finished assembly of my new Delta 14" BS today.

It came with a 1/4" blade, regular tooth (I believe).

Anyways, I'll be needing a 1/2" blade for resawing
plus an "All purpose blade"..

I don't mind paying a bit more for the Carbide, sounds like its worth the
money.

The local Rockler's stocks Olson blades, are they a good choice?
If not, any suggestions?

ThankX,
Ron

mac davis

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:53:45 -0500, "Ron" wrote:

Just finished assembly of my new Delta 14" BS today.

It came with a 1/4" blade, regular tooth (I believe).

Anyways, I'll be needing a 1/2" blade for resawing
plus an "All purpose blade"..

I don't mind paying a bit more for the Carbide, sounds like its worth the
money.

The local Rockler's stocks Olson blades, are they a good choice?
If not, any suggestions?

ThankX,
Ron

I "almost" bought 2 olson blades... combination for 1/2" and 3/4" blades in
105" (14" with riser) was about $45 plus shipping, or $50 locally... ended up
having a local saw shop weld up 2 each of 3/8" 5/8" and 3/4" to my tooth specs
for $75 out the door, and they seem to be very good blades..

Also, I'm a bandsaw newbie and cut a lot of firewood for bowl blanks and I'm
hard on blades, so I'd rather bind and kink a $10 blade than a $20+ one..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Ed Clarke

On 2005-03-07, nospambob wrote:
After trying the Highland Hardware Woodslicer, the version previous to
the current one, and high tension I read about the low tension blades
PS was selling at shows. About that time a thread showed up here
discussing a magazine article several years ago touting super high
tension and the repair facilities being flooded with bearing
replacement work. Found out PS was selling Suffol Machinery blades
and called them and haven't looked further. 1-800-234-SAWS and give
them blade length and what you want to do and listen to their
suggestion.

For re-sawing, they'll probably recommend the 3/4 inch AS-S blade on a
Delta 14 inch bandsaw. These are thin kerf, low tension blades that will
work fine with a 1HP motor.

"THE AS-S: This blade is only available in 3/4" x 3tpi. Its
uniqueness lies in the fact that it is only .025 thick with our
unique set pattern. The total overall set is .048 thousandths of
an inch. This band was specifically designed for straight-line
veneer cutting. When you are resawing very expensive woods that
are thick and you want as thin a kerf as possible, a super finish,
and you are not concerned with speed, this is the band for you."

I don't get paid for speedy work and I do have to pay for the wood. I'd
rather take my time and get a great finish the first time through. Granted,
4/4 QS oak isn't very expensive, but my supplier is 100 miles away. I
don't want to waste any good wood.

--
I can find no modern furniture that is as well designed and emotionally
satisfying as that made by the Arts and Crafts movement in the early years

bcsaw.com was suggested by FWW, in an article that simplied BSing --
bandwawing ;-)

There was a review of blades prior to that article also. bcsaw had
top blades at the lowerest cost. There were better blades (better
being a relative term)

I have the bcsaw 1/2" 3tpi skip tooth. No complaints. $57 US,
shipped for 4 blades. Qty of 4 was a 15% discount over a single
blade.