Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old saw blade question

Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was a
cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had. I don't
believe any of them are "name brand" blades. There are a variety of rip and
crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp, and some are dull, and
slightly rusty. If I had to guess, most of the blades are at least 50 years
old. Is there any use for these other than selling for scrap metal prices
which seem to be up these days? I have his saw, a mid '50s Unisaw and I
have a few good modern blades for it. These old blades haven't seen the
light of day in many years and are just taking up space. Opinions?
Thanks in advance

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Thos" wrote:

These old blades haven't seen the light of day in many years and are
just taking up space. Opinions?

----------------------
Make them a GoodWill donation.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2010 3:47 PM, Thos wrote:
Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was a
cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had. I don't
believe any of them are "name brand" blades. There are a variety of rip and
crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp, and some are dull, and
slightly rusty. If I had to guess, most of the blades are at least 50 years
old. Is there any use for these other than selling for scrap metal prices
which seem to be up these days? I have his saw, a mid '50s Unisaw and I
have a few good modern blades for it. These old blades haven't seen the
light of day in many years and are just taking up space. Opinions?
Thanks in advance

I don't know if they had carbide-tipped blades 50 years ago. If they
did, send them to Forrest for sharpening. They'll repair any damaged
teeth and they'll cut like new.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Woody" wrote in message
[...]

Having 20-30 of them to resharpen and flatten, that would probably be much
more expensive than simply buying a single WWII to replace all of them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Thos wrote:
Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was a
cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had. I don't
believe any of them are "name brand" blades. There are a variety of rip and
crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp, and some are dull, and
slightly rusty. If I had to guess, most of the blades are at least 50 years
old. Is there any use for these other than selling for scrap metal prices
which seem to be up these days? I have his saw, a mid '50s Unisaw and I
have a few good modern blades for it. These old blades haven't seen the
light of day in many years and are just taking up space. Opinions?
Thanks in advance

Well, if you use the saw, they'll still fit...

What are you going to use instead?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...

"Thos" wrote:

These old blades haven't seen the light of day in many years and are just
taking up space. Opinions?

----------------------
Make them a GoodWill donation.

Lew

Or a Good Thos donation

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Thos" wrote in message
Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was a
cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had. I
don't believe any of them are "name brand" blades. There are a variety of
rip and crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp, and some are
dull, and slightly rusty. If I had to guess, most of the blades are at
least 50 years old. Is there any use for these other than selling for
scrap metal prices which seem to be up these days? I have his saw, a mid
'50s Unisaw and I have a few good modern blades for it. These old blades
haven't seen the light of day in many years and are just taking up space.
Opinions?
Thanks in advance

No, they are no good any more
do you want my address so you can send them to me and I will dispose of them
for you?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thos wrote:
Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was a
cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had. I don't
believe any of them are "name brand" blades. There are a variety of rip and
crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp, and some are dull, and
slightly rusty. If I had to guess, most of the blades are at least 50 years
old. Is there any use for these other than selling for scrap metal prices
which seem to be up these days? I have his saw, a mid '50s Unisaw and I
have a few good modern blades for it. These old blades haven't seen the
light of day in many years and are just taking up space. Opinions?
Thanks in advance

make clocks. look at http://www.klockit.com/ and similar sites for works.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:
Thos wrote:

Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was
a cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had.
I don't believe any of them are "name brand" blades. There are a
variety of rip and crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp,
and some are dull, and slightly rusty. If I had to guess, most of the
blades are at least 50 years old. Is there any use for these other
than selling for scrap metal prices which seem to be up these days? I
have his saw, a mid '50s Unisaw and I have a few good modern blades
for it. These old blades haven't seen the light of day in many years
and are just taking up space. Opinions?
Thanks in advance

make clocks. look at http://www.klockit.com/ and similar sites for works.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Or try your hand at knife making. Old saw blade provide decent blade
stock. See:

http://www.huntchat.com/showthread.php?t=47259

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Thos" wrote in message
Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was a
cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had. I
don't believe any of them are "name brand" blades. There are a variety of
rip and crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp, and some are
dull, and slightly rusty. If I had to guess, most of the blades are at
least 50 years old. Is there any use for these other than selling for
scrap metal prices which seem to be up these days? I have his saw, a mid
'50s Unisaw and I have a few good modern blades for it. These old blades
haven't seen the light of day in many years and are just taking up space.
Opinions?
Thanks in advance

Can you paint a scene? Painted saw blades go for $25 and up at my local
flea markets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

They might be MoMetal moly steel or cobalt steel - M42 or such.

Those were popular 50 years ago in cutting hard or strong stuff.

I'd try out the old blades and see what they can do.

Might be good secondary or primary blades.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 10/14/2010 3:18 PM, Woody wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 14, 6:06*pm, Nova wrote:
jo4hn wrote:
Thos wrote:

[...]

Older ones were more likely plain carbon, which is excellent
knifemaking stock. 1/8" sawplates are perfect for making into
wooden plane irons, shop knives, etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 14, 4:47*pm, "Thos" wrote:
Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was a
cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had. *I don't
believe any of them are "name brand" blades. *There are a variety of rip and
crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp, and some are dull, and
slightly rusty. *If I had to guess, most of the blades are at least 50 years
old. *Is there any use for these other than selling for scrap metal prices
which seem to be up these days? *I have his saw, a mid *'50s Unisaw and I
have a few good modern blades for it. These old blades haven't seen the
light of day in many years and are just taking up space. *Opinions?
Thanks in advance

You could get some clock works for them and make saw blade clocks for
whomever as gifts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Many thanks for all the suggestions and replies. I'm liking the idea of
using some for knife stock. Hadn't thought about making a plane iron, which
is interesting. The clock idea has some merit. I'm not much of an artist,
so painting scenes on them probably isn't my best option. I think I'm gonna
try and make a knife and see how that goes. I'll keep everyone updated.
Again, thanks for all the replies.

"Rene" wrote in message
On Oct 14, 4:47 pm, "Thos" wrote:
Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was a
cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had. I don't
believe any of them are "name brand" blades. There are a variety of rip
and
crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp, and some are dull, and
slightly rusty. If I had to guess, most of the blades are at least 50
years
old. Is there any use for these other than selling for scrap metal prices
which seem to be up these days? I have his saw, a mid '50s Unisaw and I
have a few good modern blades for it. These old blades haven't seen the
light of day in many years and are just taking up space. Opinions?
Thanks in advance

You could get some clock works for them and make saw blade clocks for
whomever as gifts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 14, 5:06*pm, Nova wrote:

Or try your hand at knife making. *Old saw blade provide decent blade
stock. *See:

http://www.huntchat.com/showthread.php?t=47259

I had always heard of folks doing that and even seen the final
product. But I have never seen a "work in progress" slideshow until
now.

Thanks!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 14:47:17 -0500, "Thos"
wrote:

Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was a
cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had. I don't
believe any of them are "name brand" blades. There are a variety of rip and
crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp, and some are dull, and
slightly rusty. If I had to guess, most of the blades are at least 50 years
old. Is there any use for these other than selling for scrap metal prices
which seem to be up these days? I have his saw, a mid '50s Unisaw and I
have a few good modern blades for it. These old blades haven't seen the
light of day in many years and are just taking up space. Opinions?
Thanks in advance

Auction off the lot on E-Bay,

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Part of the things I got after the death of my Dad a few years ago was a
cabinet with several (20-30) blades for a the old Delta TS he had. I don't
believe any of them are "name brand" blades. There are a variety of rip and
crosscut blades, some in decent shape and sharp, and some are dull, and
slightly rusty. If I had to guess, most of the blades are at least 50 years
old. Is there any use for these other than selling for scrap metal prices
which seem to be up these days? I have his saw, a mid '50s Unisaw and I
have a few good modern blades for it. These old blades haven't seen the
light of day in many years and are just taking up space. Opinions?
Thanks in advance

Sell 'em on eBay and make your fortune, duuuuude! Naive yuppies
abound there and are willing to pay good money for something they can
use to make a clock or wall painting.

thud

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Saw blade question Nate Zigler Home Repair 7 November 25th 07 01:12 PM
Specific saw blade question bc Woodworking 0 August 27th 05 08:33 AM
Scroll saw blade question G.Moa Woodworking 2 May 14th 05 12:55 AM
Blade question max Woodworking 7 December 20th 04 04:03 PM
Dado Blade Question - Help Jerry Woodworking 7 September 4th 04 05:47 PM