Jerry

Default Dado Blade Question - Help

I just purchased a Freud SD508 8" super dado set for my Delta
contractor's saw.

There is a compression washer (cupped) that normally sits between the
nut and the blade. However, with this washer installed, I cannot come
close to fitting the entire stack on the arbor. Even at 3/4" stack,
the nut just not have any thread exposed on the outside (it seems to be
snug but I would feel better if it had some thread exposed).

Is that washer necessary when using the dado blade? I would use it
when it fit but if I used the larger stacks without it do you think it
would be a problem?

Thanks for your help.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jerry" wrote in message
. Even at 3/4" stack,
the nut just not have any thread exposed on the outside (it seems to be
snug but I would feel better if it had some thread exposed).

Is that washer necessary when using the dado blade? I would use it
when it fit but if I used the larger stacks without it do you think it
would be a problem?

I leave it out when making a wide stack. It has not been a problem.
Ed

George

You've probably noticed that the dado blade is thicker than a normal blade,
anyway, so don't worry about it on any stack. On my saw it's a task to pull
the blades off, since any tilt binds them on the shaft.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Jerry" wrote in message
. Even at 3/4" stack,
the nut just not have any thread exposed on the outside (it seems to be
snug but I would feel better if it had some thread exposed).

Is that washer necessary when using the dado blade? I would use it
when it fit but if I used the larger stacks without it do you think it
would be a problem?

I leave it out when making a wide stack. It has not been a problem.
Ed

philly45

Concerning Dado Blades, what does the group recommend as a good choice? For
example, how does the Forrest DK08244 8" compare against the Freud SD508 8"?
Is the large cost differential worth it?

Philly
"Jerry" wrote in message
I just purchased a Freud SD508 8" super dado set for my Delta
contractor's saw.

There is a compression washer (cupped) that normally sits between the
nut and the blade. However, with this washer installed, I cannot come
close to fitting the entire stack on the arbor. Even at 3/4" stack,
the nut just not have any thread exposed on the outside (it seems to be
snug but I would feel better if it had some thread exposed).

Is that washer necessary when using the dado blade? I would use it
when it fit but if I used the larger stacks without it do you think it
would be a problem?

Thanks for your help.

Preston Andreas

In virtually all the comparisons in magazines, the Forrest has come out on
top. It has a negative hook which makes a cleaner dado, eve in plywood.
Since I already have two old Freud dado sets that do a reasonable job, it
will be a long time before I will find out if it is worth the extra price.

Preston
ink.net...

"Jerry" wrote in message
I just purchased a Freud SD508 8" super dado set for my Delta
contractor's saw.

There is a compression washer (cupped) that normally sits between the
nut and the blade. However, with this washer installed, I cannot come
close to fitting the entire stack on the arbor. Even at 3/4" stack,
the nut just not have any thread exposed on the outside (it seems to be
snug but I would feel better if it had some thread exposed).

Is that washer necessary when using the dado blade? I would use it
when it fit but if I used the larger stacks without it do you think it
would be a problem?

Thanks for your help.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message

In virtually all the comparisons in magazines, the Forrest has come out on
top.

That is true. But in context, it is like comparing orgasms to find the best
one.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message

In virtually all the comparisons in magazines, the Forrest has come out on
top.

That is true. But in context, it is like comparing orgasms to find the best
one.

Now *THAT* is the consumer test panel that I want to be on.