Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rolling lumber/sheet goods cart

Anyone have a good plan (preferably free...) or a good place to look
for a plan for one of these puppies? There were a couple in ShopNotes.
The materials lists and cutting guides are free, but I can't figure out
where all the parts go. One had a pretty nifty set up for cutting
panels out of 4x8' sheets (bit less expensive, less-accurate, and less
space-consuming than the ones you see at HD or Lowe's).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rolling lumber/sheet goods cart _ Update

Take a look.

http://tinyurl.com/3ygp6ch

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2010 7:48 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Take a look.

http://tinyurl.com/3ygp6ch

I came up with yet another that I've found handy:

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/PanelCart/

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve" wrote in message
g.com...
Anyone have a good plan (preferably free...) or a good place to look
for a plan for one of these puppies? There were a couple in ShopNotes.
The materials lists and cutting guides are free, but I can't figure out
where all the parts go. One had a pretty nifty set up for cutting
panels out of 4x8' sheets (bit less expensive, less-accurate, and less
space-consuming than the ones you see at HD or Lowe's).

There was a thread mid last Sept on this subject("sheet storage") and
another at the end of Oct("sheet storage - flat vs on-edge"). Both had
many good posts. Google it.
One of mine is repeated below.
Art
---------
Mine is similar to this one
http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/055/...und-store-all/
and I have had no warping issues at all with the sheet goods I have on it.
Like you I bought some HD $25 sheets a couple of years ago and the
remaining ones are still in great shape.
On my cart I used both sides for sheet goods and made the center A
frame narrower in width as I wasn't planning on storing much in it anyway.
I used 5/8" BC which was warped to begin with as it was what I had on
hand. After assembly everything was nice and flat. The ends of the A,
and the 2" holes in the top, provide plenty of space for clamping stored
sheets to it to keep them flat. I can send you some pics if you want.
I'll be adding a panel cutting jig to one side but that is still in the planning
stage right now.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-06 20:32:21 -0400, "Lew Hodgett" said:

You'll have to narrow the scope of your question.

Is this a cart for storing in process work pieces?

Looking for a dolly to handle a 4x8 sheet by yourself?

As far as 4x8 sheet goods are concerned, store them flat.

Thanks for challenging me to think this through more carefully, Lew.

Artemus someplace further down in this thread references the ShopNotes
Issue 55 roll-around. That's one of the two I found from them* (and the
one where I couldn't suss out where all the pieces went). The other was
the Panel-Cutting Lumber Cart from Issue 99. This arrangement would
obviate the need to wrestle a full sheet of plywood onto a table saw
which, frankly, scares me.

The real goal here -- since I don't have the room to store plywood
sheets flat -- is putting the maximum storage in the minimum floor
space. #99 looks like pretty minimal storage, though I guess you could
store cut-offs under the panel jig by adapting the bins from #55. 99
also feels a bit short at 4 feet.

Storing in-process pieces is of less importance. I would need storage
more for long boards than sheet goods. It's unusual that I have plywood
just hanging around, rather than for a specific project**. But I did
stumble over a couple hundred board feet of cherry (my new favorite
wood!) for a decent price on Craigslist. A man can feel rich with a
stash like that. (And some poplar got thrown in with the deal, too.)

To recap: I like the panel-cutting jig, need to store some sheet goods,
a bunch of long boards, some cut-offs and save floor space. Storing
in-process pieces just seems too organized. I subscribe to that
clean-desk, sick-mind thing, much to Jane's chagrin.

*http://www.shopnotes.com/extras/
**Like the ShopNotes Miter Work Station from #110, now in progress. The
cabinets just got hung this evening. (There was a slight delay while I
learned how to insulate and drywall the garage.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 06 May 2010 20:00:24 -0500, Morris Dovey
wrote the following:

On 5/6/2010 7:48 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Take a look.

http://tinyurl.com/3ygp6ch

I came up with yet another that I've found handy:

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/PanelCart/

I never did ask you where you found that sweet lookin' clear(ish)
pineywood, Morris. I remember that premium studs used to look like
that. Any more, the waney, knotty, case-hardened crap they sell for
studs is ghastly. Or is that just The Canuckistani's Revenge wood
they're exporting at us?

--
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian,
or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2010 11:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I never did ask you where you found that sweet lookin' clear(ish)
pineywood, Morris. I remember that premium studs used to look like
that. Any more, the waney, knotty, case-hardened crap they sell for
studs is ghastly. Or is that just The Canuckistani's Revenge wood
they're exporting at us?

Those came from the Gilchrist-Jewett lumberyard in Waukee, Iowa. They
helped me pick through a couple of pallets of 20-footers to find the
best of the bunch for a couple of shop projects.

It was all from the US and only slightly more spendy than at the BORG or
Menards.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 8:34*pm, Steve wrote:
Anyone have a good plan (preferably free...) or a good place to look
for a plan for one of these puppies? There were a couple in ShopNotes.
The materials lists and cutting guides are free, but I can't figure out
where all the parts go. One had a pretty nifty set up for cutting
panels out of 4x8' sheets (bit less expensive, less-accurate, and less
space-consuming than the ones you see at HD or Lowe's).

why not paste the link for that one first
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 8:34*pm, Steve wrote:
Anyone have a good plan (preferably free...) or a good place to look
for a plan for one of these puppies? There were a couple in ShopNotes.
The materials lists and cutting guides are free, but I can't figure out
where all the parts go. One had a pretty nifty set up for cutting
panels out of 4x8' sheets (bit less expensive, less-accurate, and less
space-consuming than the ones you see at HD or Lowe's).

those new yankee episodes are readily available

i downloaded about 30 of them in torrent form, i will chekc later if
the working helpers is there, but if not i found the .avi quite easily
with a quick search of working helpers new yankee
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 07 May 2010 00:49:50 -0500, Morris Dovey
wrote the following:

On 5/6/2010 11:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I never did ask you where you found that sweet lookin' clear(ish)
pineywood, Morris. I remember that premium studs used to look like
that. Any more, the waney, knotty, case-hardened crap they sell for
studs is ghastly. Or is that just The Canuckistani's Revenge wood
they're exporting at us?

Those came from the Gilchrist-Jewett lumberyard in Waukee, Iowa. They
helped me pick through a couple of pallets of 20-footers to find the
best of the bunch for a couple of shop projects.

Must have been a slow day for them, eh? Do you drive a flatbed?

It was all from the US and only slightly more spendy than at the BORG or
Menards.

Bueno, bwana.

--
Live forever or die in the attempt.
-- Joseph Heller, Catch 22

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

On 5/6/2010 11:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I never did ask you where you found that sweet lookin' clear(ish)
pineywood, Morris. I remember that premium studs used to look like
that. Any more, the waney, knotty, case-hardened crap they sell for
studs is ghastly. Or is that just The Canuckistani's Revenge wood
they're exporting at us?

Those came from the Gilchrist-Jewett lumberyard in Waukee, Iowa. They
helped me pick through a couple of pallets of 20-footers to find the
best of the bunch for a couple of shop projects.

Must have been a slow day for them, eh? Do you drive a flatbed?

They're good folks and responded well to being treated well. I waited
patiently while they took care of a couple of contractors who'd followed
me in, and they were intrigued by my drawings and rough-cut list. I
think they were fascinated with the projects.

I drove a not-new car with an 8' HF trailer (with pretty BLO-finished
sides), and they cut the stuff to the (8' and 10') lengths I needed, and
I loaded as they cut.

I just /wish/ I had a truck!

It was all from the US and only slightly more spendy than at the BORG or
Menards.

Bueno, bwana.

They may have been afraid this scrawny old guy would have a heart attack
in their yard...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-07 04:54:05 -0400, Picasso said:

On May 6, 8:34*pm, Steve wrote:
Anyone have a good plan (preferably free...) or a good place to look
for a plan for one of these puppies? There were a couple in ShopNotes.
The materials lists and cutting guides are free, but I can't figure out
where all the parts go. One had a pretty nifty set up for cutting
panels out of 4x8' sheets (bit less expensive, less-accurate, and less
space-consuming than the ones you see at HD or Lowe's).

why not paste the link for that one first

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/099/...g-lumber-cart/

This is the one Art referred to:
http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/055/...und-store-all/

This combined a panel-cutting jig from Issue 48 (not on-line) as an option.

55 w/option looks like the best bet for me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

On 5/6/2010 11:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I never did ask you where you found that sweet lookin' clear(ish)
pineywood, Morris. I remember that premium studs used to look like
that. Any more, the waney, knotty, case-hardened crap they sell for
studs is ghastly. Or is that just The Canuckistani's Revenge wood
they're exporting at us?

Those came from the Gilchrist-Jewett lumberyard in Waukee, Iowa. They
helped me pick through a couple of pallets of 20-footers to find the
best of the bunch for a couple of shop projects.

Must have been a slow day for them, eh? Do you drive a flatbed?

They're good folks and responded well to being treated well. I waited
patiently while they took care of a couple of contractors who'd followed
me in, and they were intrigued by my drawings and rough-cut list. I
think they were fascinated with the projects.

Cool x2.

I drove a not-new car with an 8' HF trailer (with pretty BLO-finished
sides), and they cut the stuff to the (8' and 10') lengths I needed, and
I loaded as they cut.

OK.

I just /wish/ I had a truck!

Doesn't everyone (who doesn't own one)? I'm a happy Tundra owner.

It was all from the US and only slightly more spendy than at the BORG or
Menards.

Bueno, bwana.

They may have been afraid this scrawny old guy would have a heart attack
in their yard...

heh heh heh

--
Live forever or die in the attempt.
-- Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

[...]

DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/- Hide quoted text -

Maybe they were intrigued by your drawing and cutlist as well as your
stature and had some respect for you. I know a few smaller statured
older fellas I would put up against some young lads and the old guy
works out better every time.

RP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve wrote

This is the one Art referred to:
http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/055/...und-store-all/

55 w/option looks like the best bet for me.

I recently built this cart and it is really nice, holds a ton of stuff
in a surprisingly small space.

I used Sketchup using the freely downloadable specifications at the site
above. One thing I changed though is I used 2 casters in the middle
with one on each end. I think thats better as it gives support in the
middle, and each end of the rack. I used 3/4 ply for the base, and OSB
for the sides and a couple of the shelves because I'm a cheap SOB.

This is a good project to use sketchup on if you are looking for an
excuse to sharpen your sketchup skills...

http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart2.jpg
--
Jack
Living is like licking honey off a thorn!