Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve[_52_] Steve[_52_] is offline

Default Rolling lumber/sheet goods cart

On 2010-05-06 20:32:21 -0400, "Lew Hodgett" said:

You'll have to narrow the scope of your question.

Is this a cart for storing in process work pieces?

Looking for a dolly to handle a 4x8 sheet by yourself?

As far as 4x8 sheet goods are concerned, store them flat.

Thanks for challenging me to think this through more carefully, Lew.

Artemus someplace further down in this thread references the ShopNotes
Issue 55 roll-around. That's one of the two I found from them* (and the
one where I couldn't suss out where all the pieces went). The other was
the Panel-Cutting Lumber Cart from Issue 99. This arrangement would
obviate the need to wrestle a full sheet of plywood onto a table saw
which, frankly, scares me.

The real goal here -- since I don't have the room to store plywood
sheets flat -- is putting the maximum storage in the minimum floor
space. #99 looks like pretty minimal storage, though I guess you could
store cut-offs under the panel jig by adapting the bins from #55. 99
also feels a bit short at 4 feet.

Storing in-process pieces is of less importance. I would need storage
more for long boards than sheet goods. It's unusual that I have plywood
just hanging around, rather than for a specific project**. But I did
stumble over a couple hundred board feet of cherry (my new favorite
wood!) for a decent price on Craigslist. A man can feel rich with a
stash like that. (And some poplar got thrown in with the deal, too.)

To recap: I like the panel-cutting jig, need to store some sheet goods,
a bunch of long boards, some cut-offs and save floor space. Storing
in-process pieces just seems too organized. I subscribe to that
clean-desk, sick-mind thing, much to Jane's chagrin.

*http://www.shopnotes.com/extras/
**Like the ShopNotes Miter Work Station from #110, now in progress. The
cabinets just got hung this evening. (There was a slight delay while I
learned how to insulate and drywall the garage.)