Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lower cost drill bushings?

I've been needing some drill bushings for shop made jigs and see that
the ones from LV are close to $2.70 each and the inserts ar $2.35
each. Seems expensive to me but what do I know. Anyone know off-hand
if this is a reasonable price? Anyone got a better source? I'm
planning to buy a handful in a bunch of sizes - and I'm also curious
about getting some that are in "odd" diameters like 7 and 11 64ths.
Thanks much.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2010 4:44 PM, Mark Whittingham wrote:

I've been needing some drill bushings for shop made jigs and see that
the ones from LV are close to $2.70 each and the inserts ar $2.35
each. Seems expensive to me but what do I know. Anyone know off-hand
if this is a reasonable price? Anyone got a better source? I'm
planning to buy a handful in a bunch of sizes - and I'm also curious
about getting some that are in "odd" diameters like 7 and 11 64ths.

The LV prices seem reasonable. If you need to pinch pennies, you might
consider spending for a 1/2-20 tap and threading the bushings into an
aluminium plate or bar incorporated into your jig, instead of buying the
inserts.

For odd sizes, you (or a machine shop) can bore the holes into steel rod
segments to be glued into your jig.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 9:07*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
[...]

All good suggestions, all a lot of work. Compared to the time
involved, the LV bushings are a bargain...and relatively precise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/12/2010 6:05 AM Robatoy spake thus:

[...]

All the more so since bushings should be considered consumables, not
tools, if they're used much. They don't last forever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

I am not familiar with the LV system. I am more into metal working.
Machine tool suppliers[such as MSC and others] stock drill bushings in
all number, letter, and most small[less than 1"] drill sizes. Probably
in metric now. These might work for your odd sizes.

Chuck P.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Whittingham" wrote in message
I've been needing some drill bushings for shop made jigs and see that
the ones from LV are close to $2.70 each and the inserts ar $2.35
each. Seems expensive to me but what do I know. Anyone know off-hand
if this is a reasonable price? Anyone got a better source? I'm
planning to buy a handful in a bunch of sizes - and I'm also curious
about getting some that are in "odd" diameters like 7 and 11 64ths.
Thanks much.

Type "drill bushing" into Google. There are thousnds of places that sell
them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/13/2010 7:51 AM CW spake thus:

"Mark Whittingham" wrote in message

I've been needing some drill bushings for shop made jigs and see that
the ones from LV are close to $2.70 each and the inserts ar $2.35
each. Seems expensive to me but what do I know. Anyone know off-hand
if this is a reasonable price? Anyone got a better source? I'm
planning to buy a handful in a bunch of sizes - and I'm also curious
about getting some that are in "odd" diameters like 7 and 11 64ths.
Thanks much.

Type "drill bushing" into Google. There are thousnds of places that sell
them.

Yes, I think we all know by now that there's this big old thing called
Google that you can ask questions of. But out of the 241,000 results (I
just did the search), how many are actually useful? How many are sites
where you can actually *buy* a small quantity of drill bushings, and not
some industrial cyber-squatter page from China or Taiwan or Korea? Of
the manufacturers of drill bushings, which ones are better, or cheaper,
or offer a discount?

Not helpful.

By the way, if you use "drill bushing" (with the quotation marks), you
narrow the results to 104,000. Often better to be more specific with a
search engine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Yes, I think we all know by now that there's this big old thing called
Google
--

And some of us know how to use it. Try "drill bushings for sale".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/13/2010 4:08 PM, CW wrote:
"David wrote in message
.com...

Yes, I think we all know by now that there's this big old thing called
Google
--

And some of us know how to use it. Try "drill bushings for sale".

Or "drill bushing"+"$"

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 13, 5:08*pm, "CW" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

.com...

Yes, I think we all know by now that there's this big old thing called
Google
--

And some of us know how to use it. Try "drill bushings for sale".

I was hoping maybe someone had already found a cheaper source and I
could save myself some legwork. If I find a better source/price I'll
post back. Thanks for the replies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:56:18 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Mark
Whittingham scrawled the following:

On Apr 13, 5:08*pm, "CW" wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

.com...

Yes, I think we all know by now that there's this big old thing called
Google
--

And some of us know how to use it. Try "drill bushings for sale".

I was hoping maybe someone had already found a cheaper source and I
could save myself some legwork. If I find a better source/price I'll
post back. Thanks for the replies.

I recommend that you always doublecheck people's prices. You might
find one half the price just by looking, Mark. I _usually_ do, or I
find a smaller quantity close to me and save on shipping.

Google "drill bushing price" for actual price quotes in the google
returns. It can save time, too.

--
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace
will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will