Posted to rec.woodworking
Pilgrim Pilgrim is offline

Default Lower cost drill bushings?

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 4/12/2010 6:05 AM Robatoy spake thus:

On Apr 11, 9:07 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:

On 4/11/2010 4:44 PM, Mark Whittingham wrote:

I've been needing some drill bushings for shop made jigs and see that
the ones from LV are close to $2.70 each and the inserts ar $2.35
each. Seems expensive to me but what do I know. Anyone know off-hand
if this is a reasonable price? Anyone got a better source? I'm
planning to buy a handful in a bunch of sizes - and I'm also curious
about getting some that are in "odd" diameters like 7 and 11 64ths.

The LV prices seem reasonable. If you need to pinch pennies, you might
consider spending for a 1/2-20 tap and threading the bushings into an
aluminium plate or bar incorporated into your jig, instead of buying the
inserts.

For odd sizes, you (or a machine shop) can bore the holes into steel rod
segments to be glued into your jig.

All good suggestions, all a lot of work. Compared to the time
involved, the LV bushings are a bargain...and relatively precise.

All the more so since bushings should be considered consumables, not
tools, if they're used much. They don't last forever.

I am not familiar with the LV system. I am more into metal working.
Machine tool suppliers[such as MSC and others] stock drill bushings in
all number, letter, and most small[less than 1"] drill sizes. Probably
in metric now. These might work for your odd sizes.

Chuck P.