Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T; How Times Have Changed

Have to renew my vehicle license plate this month.

California allows you to do this on line.

A few key strokes and you're done.

A far cry from when I was young back in Ohio.

Back then, the entire state had license plate renewal in March.

Temporary license registrars were set up all over the state (It was a
political patronage job).

People would stand in lines for hours, especially as April 1
approached.

Standing in line was bad enough, but March in Ohio can have some nasty
weather.

Back then, the auto manufacturers were no help.

Plastic inserts had not been developed to accept license plate screws
so getting rusty bolts apart was a special problem, especially if the
road crews had spread a lot of salt over the winter.

The above ranks right up there with walking to school in -20F weather
and 20 mile/hr winds.

Glad things have changed.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 18, 2:20*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
(snip)

The above ranks right up there with walking to school in -20F weather
and 20 mile/hr winds.

Glad things have changed.

So there *is* an up side to global warming (grin)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 18, 3:20*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
[...]

It's nice to know that paying our auto registration tax has been made
easier than your early experiences in Ohio.
When I was a youngster going to grade school, I had to walk 5 miles
in the snow up hill both ways.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

"GROVER" wrote
When I was a youngster going to grade school, I had to walk 5 miles
in the snow up hill both ways.

Joe G

You had school? We had to find a smart person and follow them around.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Now that they've made it a joy to renew your license, they can make it
a monthly experience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
[...]

Geepers Lew, I recall when I was a small boy, 6 years old or so, standing
in line with my dad for those license plates once a year in Texas. But ever
since I have been driving in Texas, 1970 ish you have been able to get
license plates most any where and for several years, 10 + I have been
reordering on line. Reordering on line is especially helpful if the renewal
notice gets lost in the mail.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2010 2:20 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Have to renew my vehicle license plate this month.

California allows you to do this on line.

A few key strokes and you're done.

Glad things have changed.

What, no "proof of insurance", or can you do that online also?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2010 8:24 AM, Leon wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
[...]

Just got my truck renewal notice, for April, this week. I've never tried
doing it online in Texas (I understand it is "participating Counties
only, and from what you say, Harris is one?).

How do you provide "proof of insurance"?

Told me what I gotta do, cher?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/10 10:00 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/18/2010 2:20 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Have to renew my vehicle license plate this month.

California allows you to do this on line.

A few key strokes and you're done.

Glad things have changed.

What, no "proof of insurance", or can you do that online also?

Don't know what they accept there, but here in Ontario, Canada you just
provide the name of the insurance company, and your policy number on
line. Just read the warning about providing false information
etc....fines, loss of license, jail time etc.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 3/18/2010 8:24 AM, Leon wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
[...]

I do not to this every time because I wait till the lase minute. I don't
always want to depend on the mail to deliver when it is getting down to the
wire.
But IIRC when on line you provde your agent's name, policy number, phone
number. They apparently are able to quickly verify and mail you the
sticker.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Swingman wrote:
On 3/18/2010 2:20 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Have to renew my vehicle license plate this month.

California allows you to do this on line.

A few key strokes and you're done.

Glad things have changed.

What, no "proof of insurance", or can you do that online also?

KS, like somebody else mentioned others, you give the info. The
confirmation is not (yet) online but is verified and a summons for court
appearance is issued quite quickly if it isn't in force.

An acquaintance had it bite when a check for the next year's premium
hadn't arrived/yet been credited and the policy was in the 30-day grace
period for a day or so when the confirmation check was done. He got off
w/ no penalty imposed by the judge since was able to show coverage
actually was in place although the system, being asked for coverage
status of the policy to be renewed, gave back a "no" at the instant of
the query. But, the online tag renewal was issued anyway, they caught
up w/ the problem a day or two later and the timing just happened to be
such that it got flagged.

Actually, now that I think of it, that's been a couple years ago; by now
they may have it more near realtime but I'm not sure. What w/ state
budget crunch anything that could be put in abeyance on spending has
been so there's a good chance stuff like this is still on hold or never
got actual appropriations released...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-18, Lew Hodgett wrote:

California allows you to do this on line.

A few key strokes and you're done.

A far cry from when I was young back in Ohio.

A far cry from things in CA just few years back. I have horrible
memories of standing in line for ANYTHING at the CA DMV. An hour and
a half --no exageration-- was not uncommon. I actually joined AAA
just to be able to register from their offices rather than endure the
wait, the lines, and the surely clerks that were the norm at CAs
biggest bureaucratic nighmare.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2010 9:16 AM, Leon wrote:

Told me what I gotta do, cher?

I do not to this every time because I wait till the lase minute. I don't
always want to depend on the mail to deliver when it is getting down to the
wire.
But IIRC when on line you provde your agent's name, policy number, phone
number. They apparently are able to quickly verify and mail you the
sticker.

Just did it ... all you do is provide the license plate number and the
last four of the VIN, and Texas insurance is automatically verified.

I'd heard that there was a new online insurance database that the police
could access by keying in a license plate number. This certainly
verifies that.

Won't be long and there will be a database to make sure your homeowner's
policy is paid ... after all, gotta protect the County's property tax base.

Good news is despite the $2 online fee, the total cost was, to the
penny, exactly what it was last year when I renewed in person at Randalls.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/10 11:32 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/18/2010 9:16 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Why the VIN, isn't the vehicle already registered in your name?
Here the notice in the mail already includes your VIN, make, model, year
and colour of the vehicle.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2010 9:16 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

It does to here also (except for color), but having an owner verify with
the VIN, for an online transaction, makes some sense as a way to cross
reference the validity of the transaction for a particular vehicle?

You can get a license plate number just driving down the street, but the
VIN is a tad bit harder to scam ... otherwise, I dunno, this is my first
rodeo in this regard.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-18, Lew Hodgett wrote:

California allows you to do this on line.

A few key strokes and you're done.

A far cry from when I was young back in Ohio.

A far cry from things in CA just few years back. I have horrible
memories of standing in line for ANYTHING at the CA DMV. An hour and
a half --no exageration-- was not uncommon. I actually joined AAA
just to be able to register from their offices rather than endure the
wait, the lines, and the surely clerks that were the norm at CAs
biggest bureaucratic nighmare.

Likewise Indiana -- until a few years ago, if you had to wait *only* an hour
and a half at any urban BMV, you counted yourself lucky. And the offices had
no public restrooms, either. :-(

I remember about 8 years ago visiting the BMV to get plates for a car I'd just
bought. Arrived about 11:30am, took a number. "Now Serving: #72". check my
ticket -- it's #168 Walked across the street to the public library, browsed
for a while, checked out a couple of books, came back to the BMV... "Now
Serving: #113" Walked over to Burger King, had lunch, came back to the BMV
... "Now Serving: #139" ... Sat down to read for a while... Finally got back
to the office around 3pm. The actual transaction took only about ten minutes.

It's a lot better now, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
That said, if your vehicle is registered in a county that requires the
emissions test, you can no longer get your annual vehicle inspection in a
county that does not require one. That's a fairly recent change.

Hmmm . . . I'll have to keep that in mind. We keep a vehicle in another
county [where we have a small house] but had no issues getting it inspected
(was it last August or last October?). The tag renewal comes to the Houston
address and we've make sure that State Farm knows the car does not live in
Harris County. I'll have to put the "secretary" on it, it's hers to drive
[anyway] so I'm free to take my truck out to the ranch.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2010 11:37 AM, Dave In Texas wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
news
That said, if your vehicle is registered in a county that requires the
emissions test, you can no longer get your annual vehicle inspection
in a county that does not require one. That's a fairly recent change.

Hmmm . . . I'll have to keep that in mind. We keep a vehicle in another
county [where we have a small house] but had no issues getting it
inspected (was it last August or last October?). The tag renewal comes
to the Houston address and we've make sure that State Farm knows the car
does not live in Harris County. I'll have to put the "secretary" on it,
it's hers to drive [anyway] so I'm free to take my truck out to the ranch.

Got bit by this twice last year (2009).

I was building in Elgin when my truck was due for inspection. Tried to
get it inspected in Elgin (no emisssion test required in Bastrop
county), and was told that it was not possible since the truck was
registered in Harris county.

Had to drive 8 miles down 290 to Manor (Travis county) to get it inspected.

Now, Elgin is expanding and parts of it are in Travis county. What are
they gonna do when an inspection station opens in the "expanded" part of
Elgin?

The other time was with our youngest daughter, whose Subaru has Texas
plates and is registered in Harris county.

She was in college in AR for five years and would drive down to
Texarkana (actually, New Boston) for the yearly inspections.

Last year (March 2009), she made the trip and they refused to inspect
it. She had to drive the car down to Houston months later with an
expired inspection sticker, just waiting to get stopped the entire time.

(At one time in Texas, a State Trooper or local yokel would have
understood and waved her on, but they are mostly too illiterate today to
make a common sense call like that, so, being a law abiding type, it was
a real concern to her.)

All the above notwithstanding, I do believe that you have an option to
sign an affidavit and get an inspection, but once doing so, you
apparently have to register your vehicle in a county that requires no
emission test the next year ... might be worth checking out.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-18, Lew Hodgett wrote:

[...]

Doug, let me "add" to the IN BMV tales. Are the BMV offices still
political "plums"? We lived there from late '60 to mid '74, and every
time the state government changed parties, so did the staff at all the
BMV offices! Now you had a whole new staff who didn't know their a**
from their elbow,and you're their OJT guinea pig. Do you still have to
show your property tax reciept in order to get your plates renewed?
Now we all "know" that nobody circumvented that system, but seemed
like there were always some BMV staff members who came home @ night
with more money than they went to work with. Then there were the
random investigations that exposed people driving around while their
property taxes were unpaid.

Don'tcha just love big brother government?

Norm
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Nahmie wrote:

Doug, let me "add" to the IN BMV tales. Are the BMV offices still
political "plums"? We lived there from late '60 to mid '74, and every
time the state government changed parties, so did the staff at all the
BMV offices! Now you had a whole new staff who didn't know their a**
from their elbow,and you're their OJT guinea pig.

Not any more. That stopped some time in the late 70s/early 80s IIRC.

Do you still have to
show your property tax reciept in order to get your plates renewed?

I never did. OTOH, I didn't start driving until '75.

Now we all "know" that nobody circumvented that system, but seemed
like there were always some BMV staff members who came home @ night
with more money than they went to work with.

Latest problem is BMV employees taking money under the table in exchange for
fraudulent driver's licenses or state ID cards, from people not
legally entitled to have same [read: illegal immigrants].

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 3/18/2010 9:16 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Good! And less hassle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2010 5:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"GROVER" wrote
When I was a youngster going to grade school, I had to walk 5 miles
in the snow up hill both ways.

Joe G

You had school? We had to find a smart person and follow them around.

We had to find a dumb dinosaur and wait for it to evolve.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message

Why the VIN, isn't the vehicle already registered in your name?
Here the notice in the mail already includes your VIN, make, model, year
and colour of the vehicle.

They want the VIN to insure you are registering the correct vehicle in case
you have more than one. Also to verify that you still own the vehicle.
Believe it or not if you sell the vehicle the dealer or individual may not
register under his name until he needs a new sticker, if then. It is always
best to notify or verify that ownership has changed when you sell or trade a
vehicle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:09:59 -0500, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

Geepers Lew, I recall when I was a small boy, 6 years old or so, standing
in line with my dad for those license plates once a year in Texas. But ever
since I have been driving in Texas, 1970 ish you have been able to get
license plates most any where and for several years, 10 + I have been
reordering on line. Reordering on line is especially helpful if the renewal
notice gets lost in the mail.

Just got my truck renewal notice, for April, this week. I've never tried
doing it online in Texas (I understand it is "participating Counties
only, and from what you say, Harris is one?).

How do you provide "proof of insurance"?

Told me what I gotta do, cher?

Ask your insurance company for a proof card. It says "Swingy has
insurance policy #xyz123, valid from Jan2010 thru June2010. Give him
stickers for his plates, please."

I use USAA (a Texicus Corporation) and they send my cards every time I
renew, and have for at least a decade. You're not running a
goat-powered pickup bed cart, are you? You got a pick-em-up truck?

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:32:09 -0500, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 3/18/2010 9:16 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

The Oregon Construction Contractor's Board just sent out statements to
the fact that if your taxes aren't paid, you don't get your
contractor's license renewed, and they said it in a very sweet way.

I just love the state of gov't finances right now, don't you? Despite
that, Oregon gov't has grown by 37% in the past 4 years (2 budgets)
With the Public Employee's Retirement System (PERS), you can retire
and make more money then than you made on the payroll, as a working
person. It's bankrupting us.

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/2010 11:31 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:09:59 -0500, the infamous Swingman

Just got my truck renewal notice, for April, this week. I've never tried
doing it online in Texas (I understand it is "participating Counties
only, and from what you say, Harris is one?).

How do you provide "proof of insurance"?

Told me what I gotta do, cher?

Ask your insurance company for a proof card. It says "Swingy has
insurance policy #xyz123, valid from Jan2010 thru June2010. Give him
stickers for his plates, please."

Got plenty of those, but for the online I couldn't find a slot on the
laptop to stuff'em down the uVerse wire to the court house.

I use USAA (a Texicus Corporation) and they send my cards every time I
renew, and have for at least a decade. You're not running a
goat-powered pickup bed cart, are you? You got a pick-em-up truck?

Yeppers, my work truck is an 01 Dodge that's getting long in the tooth,
complete with a "40 year" USAA membership bumper sticker on the back
window (woot woot!??).

Been a continuous member since 1968. It ain't the same company today as
it was back then, but still top notch ... even do some banking with them
these days.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/10 10:49 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message

Why the VIN, isn't the vehicle already registered in your name?
Here the notice in the mail already includes your VIN, make, model, year
and colour of the vehicle.

They want the VIN to insure you are registering the correct vehicle in case
you have more than one. Also to verify that you still own the vehicle.
Believe it or not if you sell the vehicle the dealer or individual may not
register under his name until he needs a new sticker, if then. It is always
best to notify or verify that ownership has changed when you sell or trade a
vehicle.

Wouldn't make much difference here, no matter how many vehicles you own,
the plates would
all expire the same day anyways, your birthday.

Mine is coming up, got the notice yesterday, drivers license up, damn
need a new picture taken for it this year, can't do it on line.

In the same envelope was my plate renewal, damn need an emission test,
happy fsckin birthday from the Province of Ontario.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/18/10 10:49 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message

Why the VIN, isn't the vehicle already registered in your name?
Here the notice in the mail already includes your VIN, make, model, year
and colour of the vehicle.

They want the VIN to insure you are registering the correct vehicle in
case
you have more than one. Also to verify that you still own the vehicle.
Believe it or not if you sell the vehicle the dealer or individual may
not
register under his name until he needs a new sticker, if then. It is
always
best to notify or verify that ownership has changed when you sell or
trade a
vehicle.

Wouldn't make much difference here, no matter how many vehicles you own,
the plates would
all expire the same day anyways, your birthday.

Well that sounds handy.... I think. Our plates basically expire on the same
month that the vehicle was registered in your name.

If "you" buy a new vehicle is the registration cost pro-rated to your birth
date? And, if you are married and your wife buys a vehicle in her name does
registration renew on your or her birthdate?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/10 10:16 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 3/18/10 10:49 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Not sure, last time I bought a car, I just transferred the old plates to
the new car.
My friendly neighbourhood GM dealer took care of the paperwork with the
government. I can`t remember what happened the first time I bought a
car, too long ago, fuzzy brain, but it has always been just a plate
switch. I had one set of plates last through four cars, when they
started rusting and looking like crap, on the next renewal, I took them
off the car went in and swapped them for a new set.

If my wife buys a car, it would renew on her birthday.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 06:45:17 -0500, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

On 3/18/2010 11:31 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:09:59 -0500, the infamous Swingman

Just got my truck renewal notice, for April, this week. I've never tried
doing it online in Texas (I understand it is "participating Counties
only, and from what you say, Harris is one?).

How do you provide "proof of insurance"?

Told me what I gotta do, cher?

Ask your insurance company for a proof card. It says "Swingy has
insurance policy #xyz123, valid from Jan2010 thru June2010. Give him
stickers for his plates, please."

Got plenty of those, but for the online I couldn't find a slot on the
laptop to stuff'em down the uVerse wire to the court house.

Those only come on Windows boxes. So solly.

I use USAA (a Texicus Corporation) and they send my cards every time I
renew, and have for at least a decade. You're not running a
goat-powered pickup bed cart, are you? You got a pick-em-up truck?

Yeppers, my work truck is an 01 Dodge that's getting long in the tooth,
complete with a "40 year" USAA membership bumper sticker on the back
window (woot woot!??).

They never sent me my 25 year sticker. I could complain.

Been a continuous member since 1968. It ain't the same company today as
it was back then, but still top notch ... even do some banking with them
these days.

They've always treated me right, and took care of me when the idiot
woman rearended me on the freeway. Her ins co went tits up when she
filed the claim so USAA paid for my therapy. (no, physical

--
Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991)