Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default O/T; How Times Have Changed

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Have to renew my vehicle license plate this month.

California allows you to do this on line.

A few key strokes and you're done.

A far cry from when I was young back in Ohio.

Back then, the entire state had license plate renewal in March.

Temporary license registrars were set up all over the state (It was a
political patronage job).

People would stand in lines for hours, especially as April 1 approached.

Standing in line was bad enough, but March in Ohio can have some nasty
weather.

Back then, the auto manufacturers were no help.

Plastic inserts had not been developed to accept license plate screws so
getting rusty bolts apart was a special problem, especially if the road
crews had spread a lot of salt over the winter.

The above ranks right up there with walking to school in -20F weather and
20 mile/hr winds.

Glad things have changed.

Lew

Geepers Lew, I recall when I was a small boy, 6 years old or so, standing
in line with my dad for those license plates once a year in Texas. But ever
since I have been driving in Texas, 1970 ish you have been able to get
license plates most any where and for several years, 10 + I have been
reordering on line. Reordering on line is especially helpful if the renewal
notice gets lost in the mail.