Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default O/T; How Times Have Changed

Swingman wrote:
On 3/18/2010 2:20 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Have to renew my vehicle license plate this month.

California allows you to do this on line.

A few key strokes and you're done.

Glad things have changed.

What, no "proof of insurance", or can you do that online also?

KS, like somebody else mentioned others, you give the info. The
confirmation is not (yet) online but is verified and a summons for court
appearance is issued quite quickly if it isn't in force.

An acquaintance had it bite when a check for the next year's premium
hadn't arrived/yet been credited and the policy was in the 30-day grace
period for a day or so when the confirmation check was done. He got off
w/ no penalty imposed by the judge since was able to show coverage
actually was in place although the system, being asked for coverage
status of the policy to be renewed, gave back a "no" at the instant of
the query. But, the online tag renewal was issued anyway, they caught
up w/ the problem a day or two later and the timing just happened to be
such that it got flagged.

Actually, now that I think of it, that's been a couple years ago; by now
they may have it more near realtime but I'm not sure. What w/ state
budget crunch anything that could be put in abeyance on spending has
been so there's a good chance stuff like this is still on hold or never
got actual appropriations released...