Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Multimaster-type tools and blades.

I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:
http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 8:28*am, Robatoy wrote:
I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?

I looked at the Sears/Craftsman unit and blades and they appear
different from everyone else's.

I haven't tried yet but the Dremel blades look like they will work on
the old and new HF unit. The newer HF unit has little tits to engage
the blades instead of the round grooves that the old style had. Don't
know about the VS model.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 8:28*am, Robatoy wrote:
I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?

To Robatoy,
I just went through same experience. I've got an early model Fein
(#MSX636) multi-tool and found you can get a "Adapter Star Mount mm"
which I believe will allow you to use all the blades out there. I got
the adapter for around eight dollars from All Pro Tools. com. Its
their part number FE 30109189010.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Limp Arbor wrote:

On Mar 2, 8:28 am, Robatoy wrote:
I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?

I looked at the Sears/Craftsman unit and blades and they appear
different from everyone else's.

I haven't tried yet but the Dremel blades look like they will work on
the old and new HF unit. The newer HF unit has little tits to engage
the blades instead of the round grooves that the old style had. Don't
know about the VS model.

The Dremels and the Bosch blades work on the older HF Multi Tool
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 10:02*am, GROVER wrote:
On Mar 2, 8:28*am, Robatoy wrote:

I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?

To Robatoy,
I just went through same experience. I've got an early model Fein
(#MSX636) multi-tool and found you can get a "Adapter Star Mount mm"
which I believe will allow you to use all the blades out there. I got
the adapter for around eight dollars from All Pro Tools. com. Its
their part number FE 30109189010.

Joe G

The Fein people gave me one at the Toronto Woodworking Machinery show.
I liked the way the rep put it: "You can use our machine on other
company's blades now." ...."If you're inclined to compromise."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:
http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?

The older Multimasters had no key/indexing pin/pins to keep the blade from
rotating. Newer models have this feature as do the newer blades that will
work with this enhancement.

The older Multimasters not having a key will use most any blade that is
designed for key type tools. Older blades will not fit the newer tools made
with indexing keys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 10:47*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:
http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?

The older Multimasters had no key/indexing pin/pins to keep the blade from
rotating. *Newer models have this feature as do the newer blades that will
work with this enhancement.

The older Multimasters not having a key will use most any blade that is
designed for key type tools. *Older blades will not fit the newer tools made
with indexing keys.

Excellent. The Dremel metal/Wood blade is half the price of a Fein
(even if bought in a 3-pack)....just bought one and I will see how it
stacks up.
I shall report back after a demolition job tomorrow.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 10:24*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:02*am, GROVER wrote:

On Mar 2, 8:28*am, Robatoy wrote:

I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?

To Robatoy,
I just went through same experience. I've got an early model Fein
(#MSX636) multi-tool and found you can get a "Adapter Star Mount mm"
which I believe will allow you to use all the blades out there. I got
the adapter for around eight dollars from All Pro Tools. com. Its
their part number FE 30109189010.

Joe G

The Fein people gave me one at the Toronto Woodworking Machinery show.
I liked the way the rep put it: "You can use our machine on other
company's blades now." ...."If you're inclined to compromise."

To Robatoy,
The comment " If you're inclined to compromise" reminds me of the
Rolles Royce salesman who upon being asked what horsepower the vehicle
had replied, "Adequate".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 10:07 am, Robatoy wrote:

Excellent. The Dremel metal/Wood blade is half the price of a Fein
(even if bought in a 3-pack)....just bought one and I will see how it
stacks up.
I shall report back after a demolition job tomorrow.

I would be interested to hear what you think. I have used the hell
out of a couple of the blades that came with the HF unit and they
still work fine. I expected them to melt like wax.

But so far, the half moon blade has cut through (trimmed up the
bottom) of about 24 feet of 20 year old hard yellow pine siding
without much more than scratching the paint off of it.

Another one I ground smooth cutting roofing, but I expected that.

But their blade replacement 3 pack was on sale the other day, so I got
three more smaller blades for $7.95.

Like I said in an earlier post, if I had known how much I would use
this type of tool, I might have purchased a Fein years ago. But the
particular "kit" that Fein sold that I was looking at was $400 at
Amazon, and it came with 3 blades and a box. On occasion, it was on
sale at Woodcraft for $378 or something silly like that, with a blade
thrown in.

But the consumables.... ouch!

One of the reasons I bought the HF unit a couple of months ago was the
fact that I had a specific job in mind for it, and I could buy the
machine that came with the blade I needed in the box for less than the
blade alone in Fein brand.

I would like to hear how other blades perform in any machine, though
when compared to Fein.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't know about the Fein, but the Dremel and Bosch blades work great in
the HF (older one) Multi tool. I use this thing about 3 days a week and
it's never failed me. I have had to tighten the allen screw a few times
when the blade slipped with heavy use. I used the carbide grout remover
blade sold by Bosch and it works great. I have tried to buy HF replacement
blades but they are always out of stock. Seems this tool has a large
following. Home Depot always has a good stock of either the Dremel and
Bosch blades. I figured I would have replaced this tool by now but it
keeps taking a lickin and keeps on tickin. Kinda like a TIMEX!!!
Have also had other trades come up and ask what the hell is that making
that weird noise, I show them and they're at HF the next day getting one.
If HF new how many I sold for them by just being on a job, they would
probably give me a life time supply of the tool.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 10:02*am, GROVER wrote:

On Mar 2, 8:28*am, Robatoy wrote:

[...]

That reminded me of a 'real' gold plated undermount bowl, for either a
bar or a fancy lavatory. I asked the guy, who was displaying it, what
would happen if the maid took some abrasive cleanser to it.
His reply, without missing a beat was: "That would be a just cause for
dismissal, sir."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 12:08*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

I have a feeling that Fein is going to have to change their pricing
policy....and soon. Here, in Canada, Bosch seems to think, "well, if
Fein can get that kinda money, so can we." because those clowns (and I
really like Bosch tools..for the most part) charge the same for
similar Fein blades. Dremel blades are 60% or more, cheaper.... and
they can be bought everywhere.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 05:28:16 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:
http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?

Yessir. It's time for you to invest in a HF MFT, Toy.

(Sorry, I just hadda say it. De Debbil made me do it.)

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 5:39*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 05:28:16 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:
http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?

Yessir. *It's time for you to invest in a HF MFT, Toy.

(Sorry, I just hadda say it. De Debbil made me do it.)

That's another Fein mess me got me into,,,,,

Posted to rec.woodworking

International Tools is offering a selection of blades that will fit
Fein and other multis for $16.00 each. This beats Fein, Dremel, and
all the rest. So happy to see someone offering an alternative to
Fein's exorbitant pricing. Go to Internationaltools.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Bleau wrote:
International Tools is offering a selection of blades that will fit
Fein and other multis for $16.00 each. This beats Fein, Dremel, and
all the rest. So happy to see someone offering an alternative to
Fein's exorbitant pricing. Go to Internationaltools.com

Uh, HF offers blades, none as expensive as what you found. Some are even as
low as $3.33 each.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:45:20 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Mar 2, 12:08*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

No ouch when paying 10x the price for the tool?!?

One of the reasons I bought the HF unit a couple of months ago was the
fact that I had a specific job in mind for it, and I could buy the
machine that came with the blade I needed in the box for less than the
blade alone in Fein brand.

I would like to hear how other blades perform in any machine, though
when compared to Fein.

Robert

I have a feeling that Fein is going to have to change their pricing
policy....and soon. Here, in Canada, Bosch seems to think, "well, if
Fein can get that kinda money, so can we." because those clowns (and I
really like Bosch tools..for the most part)

I like Bosch, too. My old 14.4v Impactor is getting long in the tooth
at 3 hard years, so I'm in the market for a new one. I paid $230 for
the kit (motor, 2 batts, charger, bits, case.) I just saw an 18v
Milwaukee setup which had the same base kit plus a drill motor for
$199. Anyone with experience on the cordless Milwaukees, 18v
specifically? One thing I really liked about he Bosch is its short
nose. Overall length, from bit to back, was shorter than most. That
proved itself valuable time and again.

charge the same for
similar Fein blades. Dremel blades are 60% or more, cheaper.... and
they can be bought everywhere.

Ditto HF blades, but I haven't used mine enough to find out how long
the blades last. I start tearing out an old front porch planking and
covering tomorrow, and I expect to be using the HFMFT there, so I'll
get some more data on longevity.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:58:55 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

Fred Fester Fecked a Fick of ****led Feiners.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:58:55 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Mar 2, 5:39 pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 05:28:16 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:
http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?

Yessir. It's time for you to invest in a HF MFT, Toy.

(Sorry, I just hadda say it. De Debbil made me do it.)

That's another Fein mess me got me into,,,,,

Fred Fester Fecked a Fick of ****led Feiners.

A Farkell Family Production.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 4:35*am, "LDosser" wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:58:55 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Mar 2, 5:39 pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 05:28:16 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

I understand that old style Fein units will take anybody's blades. The
newer style, with the star, won't.
I did a bit of Googelarizing and found this:
http://tinyurl.com/yzkamrr
Does anybody here have anything to add?

Yessir. It's time for you to invest in a HF MFT, Toy.

(Sorry, I just hadda say it. De Debbil made me do it.)

That's another Fein mess me got me into,,,,,

Fred Fester Fecked a Fick of ****led Feiners.

A Farkell Family Production.

Musical score by Art Garfarkel.IIRC.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2010 10:47 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Fred Fester Fecked a Fick of ****led Feiners

at Festool

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 8:21*am, Swingman wrote:
On 3/2/2010 10:47 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Fred Fester Frantically Fecked a Fick of ****led Feiners

* at Festool

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2010 10:45 AM Robatoy spake thus:

I have a feeling that Fein is going to have to change their pricing
policy....and soon. Here, in Canada, Bosch seems to think, "well, if
Fein can get that kinda money, so can we." because those clowns (and I
really like Bosch tools..for the most part) charge the same for
similar Fein blades. Dremel blades are 60% or more, cheaper.... and
they can be bought everywhere.

I notice in this thread that you seem to have studiously avoided any
mention of the Harbor Freight version of this tool. Any particular
reason you refuse to even acknowledge its existence? From what I've
read, the HF knockoffs are incredible bargains. I just bought their
"old" version for $35 but haven't used it yet. I also bought some extra
blades for it, including one diamond and one carbide cutter, which look
as good as any of the "name brand" ones.

Just curious.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 1:21*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Oh such a simple reason. We do not have HF in Canuckistan. We DO have
Princess Auto which carries a whole lot of similar stuff, but no multi-
type tool yet. I can't wait, because *I* like the idea of 3 dollar
blades vs 35 dollar ones.... even if they're only half as durable.
The Dremel people have a blade for 15 dollars whuch I used today...and
I was pleasantly surprised. Worked well on my older Fein.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 1:45*pm, Robatoy wrote:

Oh such a simple reason. We do not have HF in Canuckistan. We DO have
Princess Auto which carries a whole lot of similar stuff, but no multi-
type tool yet. I can't wait, because *I* like the idea of 3 dollar
blades vs 35 dollar ones.... even if they're only half as durable.
The Dremel people have a blade for 15 dollars whuch I used today...and
I was pleasantly surprised. Worked well on my older Fein.

....and to add....rest ussured that next time I am in the States, I
will go to a HF and get some blades.
I'm Dutch, not stupid. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 3, 1:21 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Oh such a simple reason. We do not have HF in Canuckistan. We DO have
Princess Auto which carries a whole lot of similar stuff, but no
multi- type tool yet. I can't wait, because *I* like the idea of 3
dollar blades vs 35 dollar ones.... even if they're only half as
durable.
The Dremel people have a blade for 15 dollars whuch I used today...and
I was pleasantly surprised. Worked well on my older Fein.

Do you get even semi-regular mail delivery?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 3:56*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 3, 1:21 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Oh such a simple reason. We do not have HF in Canuckistan. We DO have
Princess Auto which carries a whole lot of similar stuff, but no
multi- type tool yet. I can't wait, because *I* like the idea of 3
dollar blades vs 35 dollar ones.... even if they're only half as
durable.
The Dremel people have a blade for 15 dollars whuch I used today...and
I was pleasantly surprised. Worked well on my older Fein.

Do you get even semi-regular mail delivery?

I will look into their shipping to Canuckistan. Many outfits don't.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2010 3:01 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I will look into their shipping to Canuckistan. Many outfits don't.

If they won't ship to you, have 'em shipped to me and I'll re-ship to
you. Sheesh!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/03/2010 03:44 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/3/2010 3:01 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I will look into their shipping to Canuckistan. Many outfits don't.

If they won't ship to you, have 'em shipped to me and I'll re-ship to
you. Sheesh!

You might have to perform some quality control checks on it first. Probably take about six
weeks at the very least.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote in
:

On 03/03/2010 03:44 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/3/2010 3:01 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I will look into their shipping to Canuckistan. Many outfits don't.

If they won't ship to you, have 'em shipped to me and I'll re-ship to
you. Sheesh!

You might have to perform some quality control checks on it first.
Probably take about six weeks at the very least.

Good idea. The trip back to the store is shorter for Morris than for you
to ship back to Morris. Make sure you get the newer one with variable
speed and extra blades in case the first one goes dull after all the
use^h^h^htesting.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 5:06*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Yes, there are those who hate and revile you.

There are?
..
..
..
..
That makes me sad.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

On Mar 3, 5:06 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Yes, there are those who hate and revile you.

There are?
..
..
..
..
That makes me sad.
==========

It was a joke son.

The primary message was that there are folks who would gladly reship the
items to you cuz you do have FRIENDS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 6:09*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

On Mar 3, 5:06 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Yes, there are those who hate and revile you.

There are?
.
.
.
.
That makes me sad.
==========

It was a joke son.

*phew*.... *wipes brow* Here I thought that all that effort of trying
to get those idiots to like me was in vain....

The primary message was that there are folks who would gladly reship the
items to you cuz you do have FRIENDS.

Well, that makes me feel better. I don't hate anybody...well there are
those off-the-cliff crazies on both the extreme left and extreme right
and there are cherry stainers...Nickelback, Celine Dion....and that
asshole from Creed....naaaa, not really hate...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 18:09:14 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , Morris Dovey
wrote:

On 3/3/2010 3:01 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I will look into their shipping to Canuckistan. Many outfits don't.

If they won't ship to you, have 'em shipped to me and I'll re-ship to
you. Sheesh!

If you ship to Canada, do send anything UPS.

You meant "DON'T", right?

Their brokerage fees are obscene.

$35 for a 2-cent part.

US Post office is OK, as is DHL. FedEx would be next.

But never, ever UPS.

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:27:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Mar 3, 6:09*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

On Mar 3, 5:06 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Yes, there are those who hate and revile you.

There are?
.
.
.
.
That makes me sad.
==========

It was a joke son.

*phew*.... *wipes brow* Here I thought that all that effort of trying
to get those idiots to like me was in vain....

Send me all your Festeringtools and I'll think about it.

--
An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his
heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till
the reader has nothing else in the world to do.
-- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

I have a feeling that Fein is going to have to change their pricing
policy....and soon. Here, in Canada, Bosch seems to think, "well, if
Fein can get that kinda money, so can we." because those clowns (and I
really like Bosch tools..for the most part) charge the same for
similar Fein blades. Dremel blades are 60% or more, cheaper.... and
they can be bought everywhere.

Actually Fein did drop their pricing a few months ago. typically a 3 pack
of blades would cost about $100. Now they are closer to $50. Still too
high IMHO.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Snip

I like Bosch, too. My old 14.4v Impactor is getting long in the tooth
at 3 hard years, so I'm in the market for a new one. I paid $230 for
the kit (motor, 2 batts, charger, bits, case.) I just saw an 18v
Milwaukee setup which had the same base kit plus a drill motor for
$199. Anyone with experience on the cordless Milwaukees, 18v
specifically? One thing I really liked about he Bosch is its short
nose. Overall length, from bit to back, was shorter than most. That
proved itself valuable time and again.

Long in the tooth at 3 years old.... I never liked Bosch drills... I
wonder how long my "free" Bosch impactor will last.

I have had a Makita impact driver for 5+ years and see no signs of any
problems. Replaced 1 of the 2 batteries 2 years ago.

I have hearn nothing good about the Milwaukee cordless drills.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Uh oh.....this sounds like you are going over to
the "dark side". I recall a preacher saying, you
are in a "backslidden condition". (: -(not a real word)

They are building a HF in my neighborhood as we speak.

wrote:

Like I said in an earlier post, if I had known how much I would use
this type of tool, I might have purchased a Fein years ago.

One of the reasons I bought the HF unit a couple of months ago was the
fact that I had a specific job in mind for it, and I could buy the
machine that came with the blade I needed in the box for less than the
blade alone in Fein brand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-04, Leon wrote:

really like Bosch tools..for the most part)....

Bosch jes won the jigsaw shootout in the latest Popular Mechanics, for
whatever that's worth.

nb