Pete Martin

Default bandsaw blades - what type for what?

Just starting to look at bandsaws. There's a variety of blades
available. Which blade does one use for what purpose? Is there an FAQ
somewhere?
pete
patrick conroy

"Pete Martin" wrote in message

Just starting to look at bandsaws. There's a variety of blades
available. Which blade does one use for what purpose?

There are a variety of blades that you chose based on the material you cut -
e.g. wood, plastic, non-ferrous metals, etc. Assuming you're a woodworker
and you'll be cutting wood - there are still some subcategories based on:
- what kind of cuts you'll be making (resawing)
- the ability of your bandsaw to handle a blade (i.e. 14" hobbiest bandsaws
usually can't tension some blades)
- your desire to cut tight curves (more of a blade width issue, granted)
- your budget
- your personal beliefs in the low-tension/high-tension debate

Is there an FAQ somewhere?

Not that I know of.

There's great reading at the Suffolk Saw website - and some nice suggestions
on how to start. I called them and said: "Hi! I'm a weekend idiot who
wastes a lot of wood. I just bought a 14" bandsaw and would like your
suggestions on 2 or 3 blades to start with."

He rattled them off.

mike

Pete Martin wrote in message ...
Just starting to look at bandsaws. There's a variety of blades
available. Which blade does one use for what purpose? Is there an FAQ
somewhere?
pete

Get hold of the book, Bandsaw Handbook by Mark Duginske.This book will
give you all the information you need to know.
mike
Pete Martin

Thank you! I'm also looking at some demos and classes on woodworking and
will ask some questions there too.

FWIW, I'm looking to try some laminating projects, simple ones to be sure!