Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is there Really any Free Plans?

I was looking around google today for free Mission Style Bed Plans and a
ton of sites come up but none are free. Anyone know of any? It's not that
I'm to cheap to go buy one but I'd like to get a starting point and make
my own edits to it.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, Evodawg wrote:

I was looking around google today for free Mission Style Bed Plans and a
ton of sites come up but none are free. Anyone know of any? It's not that
I'm to cheap to go buy one but I'd like to get a starting point and make
my own edits to it.

Do what I did for our bathroom vanity. Find what you like in a store,
photograph it and measure, measure, measure, measure it. Then come
home and draw your own plans with your modifications included. That
way you will be fairly sure of what it will look like before you start
making sawdust.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 3:18*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, Evodawg wrote:
I was looking around google today for free Mission Style Bed Plans and a
ton of sites come up but none are free. Anyone know of any? It's not that
I'm to cheap to go buy one but I'd like to get a starting point and make
my own edits to it.

Do what I did for our bathroom vanity. *Find what you like in a store,
photograph it and measure, measure, measure, measure it. *Then come
home and draw your own plans with your modifications included. *That
way you will be fairly sure of what it will look like before you start
making sawdust.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

I did about the same thing when designing the entertainment center
except I shopped online and then scaled to fit the space. Ikea was
about the only place I could find what I was remotely thinking of and
even then it was redesigned to my taste. Most places though have the
measurements listed on the site, if not e-mail them what you are
looking for.

Photographing can be tricky in some stores. We were at one store and
found a cabinet we liked (and some of the inspiration) and I took out
my wife's phone to take some pictures. The owner of the store started
yelling that we couldn't do that. His loss as we canceled the $2000
order for a sofa,recliner, and loveseat we placed 5 minutes before.
Even the saleswoman was mad over that as she was stunned at his
behavior. No wonder the place is out of business now. The store we
ended up at let us take all of the pictures we wanted but for the same
furniture we bought before we spent $50 more.

Allen
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Evodawg" wrote in message
I was looking around google today for free Mission Style Bed Plans and a
ton of sites come up but none are free. Anyone know of any? It's not that
I'm to cheap to go buy one but I'd like to get a starting point and make
my own edits to it.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz

You should look into the book "Beds" by Jeff Miller. Lots of good design
ideas in a variety of styles that you can modify to your hearts content.

best,

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Evodawg" wrote in message
I was looking around google today for free Mission Style Bed Plans and a
ton of sites come up but none are free. Anyone know of any? It's not that
I'm to cheap to go buy one but I'd like to get a starting point and make
my own edits to it.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz

You could always email JOAT.

B.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Evodawg" wrote in message
I was looking around google today for free Mission Style Bed Plans and a
ton of sites come up but none are free. Anyone know of any? It's not that
I'm to cheap to go buy one but I'd like to get a starting point and make
my own edits to it.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz

If you use Sketchup and go to the warehouse there are countless, more than
you can count woodworking drawings. If you are not using Sketchup you
should be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Buddy Matlosz" wrote in message

"Evodawg" wrote in message
I was looking around google today for free Mission Style Bed Plans and a
ton of sites come up but none are free. Anyone know of any? It's not that
I'm to cheap to go buy one but I'd like to get a starting point and make
my own edits to it.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz

You could always email JOAT.

And read the reply in the 'nuclear' thread ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, the infamous Evodawg
scrawled the following:

I was looking around google today for free Mission Style Bed Plans and a
ton of sites come up but none are free. Anyone know of any? It's not that
I'm to cheap to go buy one but I'd like to get a starting point and make
my own edits to it.

http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projec...missionbed.htm
The sole free Mission bed on the Web. g

I never understood anything but headboards. I like to sit on the end
of my bed, fall onto it from any angle, etc. I don't want a footboard
or tall sides to knock my ankles on, stub my toes on, y'know?

--
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are
needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Looks like the plan from Woodsmith that I built. A fun project.

Yes, I have to take care not to slam my thigh into the footboard while
walking around in the dark, but I think it's worth it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Yes I saw that one, nice pictures but little of anything else. Guess I can
make my own plans from the pics and what I like and don't like.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Evodawg" wrote in message
I was looking around google today for free Mission Style Bed Plans and a
ton of sites come up but none are free. Anyone know of any? It's not that
I'm to cheap to go buy one but I'd like to get a starting point and make
my own edits to it.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Mandriva 2010 using KDE 4.3
Website: www.rentmyhusband.biz

What I do is Google the end product, not plans using Google Images. that
gives me lots of pix of various types that folks are trying to sell. Usually
they will have dimensions etc. This gives me a guideline on basic
proportions. Sometimes you will find a basic plan design. I use all this to
come up with the design and go from there.

If you decide on specific type joint, lots of examples abound. Put all that
stuff together and you have what you want.

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can get a free 14 day trial on Fine Woodworking. Look under the
projects tab. They have a few bed projects. The current Furniture
Building special issue has at least two beds in it but I don't think
they is mission but you can at least get details.

On Feb 12, 3:25*pm, Evodawg wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Website: *www.rentmyhusband.biz- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

..

Photographing can be tricky in some stores. We were at one store and
found a cabinet we liked (and some of the inspiration) and I took out
my wife's phone to take some pictures. The owner of the store started
yelling that we couldn't do that. His loss as we canceled the $2000
order for a sofa,recliner, and loveseat we placed 5 minutes before.
Even the saleswoman was mad over that as she was stunned at his
behavior. No wonder the place is out of business now. The store we
ended up at let us take all of the pictures we wanted but for the same
furniture we bought before we spent $50 more.

Allen

Yeah, they do get picky in some stores. I have told sales people up
front not to waste time with me because i am looking for design
ideas. A few seem to appreciate it and even strike up a
conversation. At any rate, if you can't take photos just get the
manufacturer's name and web info and check them out on-line. A lot of
times you will find variations that you like better.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:25:25 -0800, the infamous Evodawg
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

You might get a whole lot more than a few sets of plans from this
book, E. From $13.99, delivered. http://fwd4.me/FmR Buy the book,
build two beds, sell one, and you have a nice profit to buy more wood
for your other projects.

--snip-- one reviewer's comments:
5.0 out of 5 stars A complete and detailed guide to bed making and
design., October 27, 1999
By Andy Brownell ) (Chicago, IL) - See all
my reviews
"BEDS" by Jeff Miller provides an indepth look at the design and
construction of nine beds, ranging from beginner to advanced skill
levels. Complete cut lists for all of the projects are provided with
detailed drawings and descriptions for joinery, technique and several
construction options. Dozens of color photographs add to the readers
understanding of each bed project and are accompanied by a detailed
step-by-step description for building.

Many of the projects are also accompanied by detailed drawings and
instructions for making jigs to help the user with difficult cutting,
routing and shaping - a detail often overlooked by other books like
this.

Jeff's designs represent well thought out variations on several
classic bed designs and place an emphasis on clean lines and
proportions, solid construction and attention to detail.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in buiilding their
own bed, or to simply learn about what goes into the design and
construction of fine handcrafted furniture.
--snip--

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan

JT-Free Plans... Don Dando Woodworking 2 September 24th 06 10:45 PM
Free Plans Woody Woodworking 4 March 13th 06 06:04 PM
free plans stoutman Woodworking 3 April 18th 05 01:22 PM
No free plans?? striker Woodworking 8 February 29th 04 03:56 PM