Morris Dovey

Default Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real woodprojects

Bob Davis wrote:

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

One of those things that you can do is... build more tools.
You write that "Gluing requires clamps, maybe expensive
cabinet clamps." Perhaps; but probably not. In many
situations you can build the clamps you need from scraps and
some inexpensive threaded rod from your local hardware
store.

I had the camera in my hand today and decided I could/should do a
show-n-tell. There's a description and a couple of pictures of a
drawer/box clamp at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/drawer_clamp.html

I needed clamps to glue up batches of three dozen drawers at a
time; and I just couldn't see spending what it would take to buy
enough clamps to do the job. These worked quite well; and the
price was right (-:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Paul Kierstead

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:

I had the camera in my hand today and decided I could/should do a
show-n-tell. There's a description and a couple of pictures of a
drawer/box clamp at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/drawer_clamp.html

I needed clamps to glue up batches of three dozen drawers at a
time; and I just couldn't see spending what it would take to buy
enough clamps to do the job. These worked quite well; and the
price was right (-:

Slick, very slick. Good idea. But, is it really cheaper the ultra cheap
bar clamps? LV has the super cheap "Cabinetmaker's Light-Duty FA Clamps"
for US$7.40, $5.90 in quantities of 10 or more. These are real light
duty, but I imagine about the same as yours. OTOH, the pleasure of using
some slick clamps that you built yourself cannot be underestimated...
Paul Kierstead

In article
rs.com,
Paul Kierstead wrote:

LV has the super cheap "Cabinetmaker's Light-Duty FA Clamps"
for US$7.40, $5.90 in quantities of 10 or more.

That would be the 24" clamps, of course. I was assuming your drawers
were larger then 12"...on a question, I presume the tubing greatly
restricts the range of clamping? Quite fine I guess for a series of
drawers all the same width...
Morris Dovey

Paul Kierstead wrote:

In article
rs.com,
Paul Kierstead wrote:

LV has the super cheap "Cabinetmaker's Light-Duty FA Clamps"
for US$7.40, $5.90 in quantities of 10 or more.

That would be the 24" clamps, of course. I was assuming your
drawers were larger then 12"...on a question, I presume the
tubing greatly restricts the range of clamping? Quite fine I
guess for a series of drawers all the same width...

Paul...

I think I remember guesstimating that the cost was just a tad
under US$3/clamp. (The expensive components were the four 45-cent
knobs!)

The originals were for 15"W x 2'D drawers and the tubing and rod
was cut for that size. I probably should have cut the rod into 2'
or 3' lengths. I don't think protecting the rod was really
necessary (I'm just not that sloppy with glue); and three 1"
pieces of tubing (one at each side and one in the center) would
have been adequate to protect the drawers.

I've had to cut new (longer) rods on occasion - which I could
have avoided with a bit of foresight/future hindsight.

The 1/4-20 threaded rod is available inexpensively in hardware
stores and lumber yards in 6' or 8' lengths. My local hardware
store has 1/4-20 threaded sleeves for joining rod sections.

I considered the Bessey K-Body clamps long enough to run the
numbers through my calculator. Ouch! Those aren't clamps: they're
status symbols. My conclusion: since I ain't got no status, I
don't need no steenking symbols. I can buy knobs and threaded rod
for the rest of my life for all kinds of clamps for what the
Bessey clamps would have cost.

B'sides, I used up all those little pieces of one-by that I
hadn't been able to figure out what to do with! (-:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Paul Kierstead

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:

I think I remember guesstimating that the cost was just a tad
under US$3/clamp. (The expensive components were the four 45-cent
knobs!)

Yup, that is definitely cheaper!

The 1/4-20 threaded rod is available inexpensively in hardware
stores and lumber yards in 6' or 8' lengths. My local hardware
store has 1/4-20 threaded sleeves for joining rod sections.

I had only looked at the shorter lengths, where the prices wasn't all
that great. Much longer ones are probably only marginally more.

Thanks for all the additional info, very useful.

B'sides, I used up all those little pieces of one-by that I
hadn't been able to figure out what to do with! (-:

Funny, I have been burning mine...maybe there is a use for them after
all.

Luigi Zanasi

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:42:09 GMT, "Bob Davis"
scribbled:

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

Now it's time to have some fun. Don't be afraid to start small -
make a small but beautiful jewelery box for SWMBO

That's high on the list. Whether I need it or not, I'm going to buy some
kind of a hand plane to do this project.

Get Doug Stowes books for plans and inspirations:

http://www.dougstowe.com/

You already have most of what you need to make them except the wood.
Just get going.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
Luigi Zanasi

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:08:10 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
scribbled:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.com...

I just got a new Lee Valley block plane and added it to the spreadsheet I

have listing my tools. The plane brought it to $7007. You can get away
with a
lot less, you can spend a lot more.

This sounded like a good idea, Ed, so I just went and made myself a
spreadsheet, too. I've been meaning to go take digital photos of all my
tools, including the serial numbers, etc., but haven't had the
time/energy/motivation. Anyway, my list, just from memory so I probably
missed a lot, comes out at $14,265. Holy CRAP! And that doesn't count the
new truck I got at Christmas. 90% of that has been spent in the last 2
years, too. I think I need to talk to my insurance agent hehe.

You made me check how much I've spent on tools. Wow, since 1992, it's
$21,523.24. The winners a Crappy Tire with $4,252.13, Beaver
Lumber/Home Hardware with $3,541.29 and LVT with $2,020.23.

See, Robin, if you had had a store in Whitehorse, you woulda got most
of what I spent at Beaver and Crappy Tire and I woulda had better
stuff.

The biggest chunk I could identify was for power tool blades, bits &
accessories, followed by stationary power tools (both about $3,600),
$3,000 for hand power tools, $2,500 for hand tools, and $1,400 on
clamps.

Whew!

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
Greg Millen

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message ...
You made me check how much I've spent on tools. Wow, since 1992, it's
$21,523.24. The winners a Crappy Tire with $4,252.13, Beaver
Lumber/Home Hardware with $3,541.29 and LVT with $2,020.23.

See, Robin, if you had had a store in Whitehorse, you woulda got most
of what I spent at Beaver and Crappy Tire and I woulda had better
stuff.

Lol! Well done Luigi, I think I heard Robin's sharp intake of breath here in
Oz! Let's see if he doesn't reply with a new catalogue in the mail.

Greg