Morris Dovey

Default Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real woodprojects

Paul Kierstead wrote:

In article
rs.com,
Paul Kierstead wrote:

LV has the super cheap "Cabinetmaker's Light-Duty FA Clamps"
for US$7.40, $5.90 in quantities of 10 or more.

That would be the 24" clamps, of course. I was assuming your
drawers were larger then 12"...on a question, I presume the
tubing greatly restricts the range of clamping? Quite fine I
guess for a series of drawers all the same width...

Paul...

I think I remember guesstimating that the cost was just a tad
under US$3/clamp. (The expensive components were the four 45-cent
knobs!)

The originals were for 15"W x 2'D drawers and the tubing and rod
was cut for that size. I probably should have cut the rod into 2'
or 3' lengths. I don't think protecting the rod was really
necessary (I'm just not that sloppy with glue); and three 1"
pieces of tubing (one at each side and one in the center) would
have been adequate to protect the drawers.

I've had to cut new (longer) rods on occasion - which I could
have avoided with a bit of foresight/future hindsight.

The 1/4-20 threaded rod is available inexpensively in hardware
stores and lumber yards in 6' or 8' lengths. My local hardware
store has 1/4-20 threaded sleeves for joining rod sections.

I considered the Bessey K-Body clamps long enough to run the
numbers through my calculator. Ouch! Those aren't clamps: they're
status symbols. My conclusion: since I ain't got no status, I
don't need no steenking symbols. I can buy knobs and threaded rod
for the rest of my life for all kinds of clamps for what the
Bessey clamps would have cost.

B'sides, I used up all those little pieces of one-by that I
hadn't been able to figure out what to do with! (-:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA