Posted to rec.woodworking

Default More Sketchup questions

Ok, so I found some time to try to get over the hump with Sketchup, and I
brought up the video that Karl posted a few weeks back:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...rawing-process

and tried my best to follow along (with lots of pauses and rewinds along the
way). All was going well until I reached the point where he was creating the
lower shelf support by copying two of the upper rails to a lower position, then
using "push/pull" to change their widths (this is right at 3:20 in the video).
At that point Sketchup refused to perform the push/pull operation (the tool
shows a circle with a slash through it), and in fact I cannot "push/pull" *any*
existing surface in the drawing, apparently something to do with the fact that
everything is a component. I can create a new surface (a rectangle, for
example), then push/pull that into a 3D object, and I can continue to stretch
any of its surfaces up to the point where I make it a component, then it's
no-go. What gives? If I create a completely new drawing, push/pull a
rectangle and make the 3D result a component, I can continue to use push/pull
to stretch or shrink any of its surfaces, but in the fern stand document I
cannot, even after saving it, exiting and re-entering Sketchup, etc. Thoughts?

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...demonstrating-...

[...]

Double click on the component to edit it. You can nest components
(and groups) so multiple clicking might be required to burrow down to
the level where you can edit something.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2010 6:25 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
[...]

Once a component has been created, in order to change it you must "edit"
it by right clicking on it and chosing "edit component", or by doing a
double left click, which will also open it for editing.

Let me know if this is not clear ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2010 6:34 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 10, 7:25 pm, Steve
wrote:
[...]

Got durn it! I spent all that time typing that long problem description, and
that's the solution? "Double-click it"? Well let me tell you one thing... it
works! (Settle down there Steve) :-)

Oh wait, I can think of something else to bitch about. Where the *heck* is
this documented? The "Instructor" gives no clue about this type of selection,
and so far the online help and I aren't getting along very well together.

As you can probably tell, I just LOVE learning new software tools. (Grassa
wappa frap!)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1QpoNO-1zM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAcSWZHv2g4

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2010 7:10 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/10/2010 7:00 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Got durn it! I spent all that time typing that long problem description,
and that's the solution? "Double-click it"? Well let me tell you one
thing... it works! (Settle down there Steve) :-)

Oh wait, I can think of something else to bitch about. Where the *heck*
is this documented? The "Instructor" gives no clue about this type of
selection, and so far the online help and I aren't getting along very
well together.

As you can probably tell, I just LOVE learning new software tools.
(Grassa wappa frap!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1QpoNO-1zM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAcSWZHv2g4

Thanks Karl. In the fern stand video the designer seems to be switching in and
out of "orbit" mode very quickly, many times right in the middle of other
operations (like push/pull), and I think he said something about having that
function assigned to his middle mouse button (I don't have one of those).
Currently I'm just using the 'O' key to get in and 'Esc" to get out, but I
presume there's a way to assign these functions to a mouse event of some kind?
Have you done this?

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2010 7:38 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Thanks Karl. In the fern stand video the designer seems to be switching
in and out of "orbit" mode very quickly, many times right in the middle
of other operations (like push/pull), and I think he said something
about having that function assigned to his middle mouse button (I don't
have one of those). Currently I'm just using the 'O' key to get in and
'Esc" to get out, but I presume there's a way to assign these functions
to a mouse event of some kind? Have you done this?

With SU it's default for a mouse to orbit by clicking and holding the
wheel on a scroll-wheel mouse ... don't need to do anything.

http://sketchup.google.com/support/b...&answer=115413

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2010 9:02 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/10/2010 7:38 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Thanks Karl. In the fern stand video the designer seems to be switching
in and out of "orbit" mode very quickly, many times right in the middle
of other operations (like push/pull), and I think he said something
about having that function assigned to his middle mouse button (I don't
have one of those). Currently I'm just using the 'O' key to get in and
'Esc" to get out, but I presume there's a way to assign these functions
to a mouse event of some kind? Have you done this?

With SU it's default for a mouse to orbit by clicking and holding the
wheel on a scroll-wheel mouse ... don't need to do anything.

http://sketchup.google.com/support/b...&answer=115413

Ah, well it took me some digging, but I finally discovered that my particular
mouse (Logitech MX1100, in concert with the accompanying software, SetPoint)
was assigning the default function of "double click" to the depressing of the
center mouse wheel. I added an exception for Sketchup and programmed it to be
"middle button" instead, and now it works as you've described; much better!
Thanks Karl (again). :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:48:53 -0600, Swingman wrote:

[...]

And one more tip. If you have made a component and inserted multiple
copies of it into your drawing, editing one will edit them all, unless
you first select the one you want to edit, right click, and select
"maike unique".

Paul F.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
[...]

Coming in late here but let me clue you in on a few things to be aware of
concerning components.....DAMHIKT

To edit a component you have to edit it, done by double clicking to get that
edit box to show up around the component. You know that now..... BUT
uh,,,,,,, I,,, you may find a time where you again forget that and begin
adding lines to your component when it is not in edit mode. You draw and
draw and draw and every thing is going along nicely and then you move the
component and none of you additions move with it......

The moral to this story is to be sure you are in edit mode when editing the
component. Just because it looks like you are editing the component does
not meand you are actually doing so... Be sure you see the edit box.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Snip

Got durn it! I spent all that time typing that long problem description,
and that's the solution? "Double-click it"? Well let me tell you one
thing... it works! (Settle down there Steve) :-)

LOL. How bout that...... and if you are like me you will one day decide
that the push/pull icon "should" work as the follow me tool..... It one day
took me about half an hour to realize I was using the wrong tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/10/2010 09:41 PM, Leon wrote:
To edit a component you have to edit it, done by double clicking to get that
edit box to show up around the component. You know that now..... BUT
uh,,,,,,, I,,, you may find a time where you again forget that and begin
adding lines to your component when it is not in edit mode. You draw and
draw and draw and every thing is going along nicely and then you move the
component and none of you additions move with it......

The moral to this story is to be sure you are in edit mode when editing the
component. Just because it looks like you are editing the component does
not meand you are actually doing so... Be sure you see the edit box.

Yep, been there already, and hopefully I won't do it too many more times before it *really*
sinks in. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:

Ah, well it took me some digging, but I finally discovered that my
particular mouse (Logitech MX1100, in concert with the accompanying
software, SetPoint) was assigning the default function of "double click"
to the depressing of the center mouse wheel. I added an exception for
Sketchup and programmed it to be "middle button" instead, and now it
works as you've described; much better! Thanks Karl (again). :-)

A couple more tips. If you hold the Shift key and press the middle
mouse wheel you can PAN the screen. Also, if you place the mouse on any
portion of an item, you can center that point on your screen by holding
Alt key and double clicking the mouse wheel.

Also, when you start drawing something, it is a good idea to place the
screen in a camera view that makes it easy to get the geometry right.
For example, to draw a table top, it is good to start in a top view, or
say you were going to draw a 6x6x10' post laying horizontally across the
screen, you might want to start with Front camera view. Camera views
are often used so I'd suggest you put them on your tool bar:

Click on "View" in the tool bar and then "toolbars" then click on
"Views". This will place the various camera views on your tool bar to
make it easy to switch views. This helps when you go "orbit" crazy and
are having trouble getting back.

Also, once you get familiar, I like to get rid of the "axes" lines by
clicking on View in the toolbar and then unchecking "Axes" You still get
the color hints when you draw to make sure the planes are correct, w/o
all the clutter.

--
Jack
Got Change: The Individual! =========== The Collective!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 11, 11:49*am, Steve Turner wrote:

Yep, been there already, and hopefully I won't do it too many more times before it *really*
sinks in. *:-)

In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a quick reference card in
SketchUp. Go to Help-Quick Reference Card
Very handy while you're learning the program.

Second SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 9th 09 12:08 AM
First SketchUp Bill Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 October 7th 09 03:47 PM
Sketchup 7 Leon Woodworking 80 March 2nd 09 02:51 PM
If you use Sketchup Paul Franklin Woodworking 4 January 17th 09 03:22 AM
SketchUp Morris Dovey Woodworking Plans and Photos 9 January 1st 09 04:34 PM