Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default SketchUp

Started with a rectangular block, nibbled off the corners, drilled 2
holes through the adjacent edges, then drilled the large hole...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Attached Thumbnails
SketchUp-spider-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Started with a rectangular block, nibbled off the corners, drilled 2
holes through the adjacent edges, then drilled the large hole...

Here you go, Bro ... make a cylinder "component" with diameter of the hole
you want, poke it though the curved surfaces where you want the hole(s),
then use the "intersect with model" function, then erase the parts you don't
want.

When you know how, it takes longer to draw the box and cylinder than to get
holes in the curved surfaces ... about a three minute job.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Attached Thumbnails
SketchUp-curvedfaces-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

... and all curved faces:

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Attached Thumbnails
SketchUp-curvedfaces2-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
.. and all curved faces:

Hmm - ok, I created the cylinder for large hole (spider1.jpg) and made
it a component...

Moved it into the proper position and did "intersect with model"
(spider2.jpg)...

But when I attempted to delete the component, all I had was the original
blank (spider3.jpg)...

What am I missing?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Attached Thumbnails
SketchUp-spider1-jpg  SketchUp-spider2-jpg  SketchUp-spider3-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
.. and all curved faces:

Hmm - ok, I created the cylinder for large hole (spider1.jpg) and made
it a component...

Moved it into the proper position and did "intersect with model"
(spider2.jpg)...

But when I attempted to delete the component, all I had was the original
blank (spider3.jpg)...

What am I missing?

Try _not_ making the part that you want the hole in, a 'group' or
"component", and that may make it easier for you.

Draw your cylinder (but maker it longer, so that it sticks out on either
side of the part); make it into a "component"; poke it through your curved
surface with it sticking out on either side; then use "interface with
model"; then "explode" the cylinder; then erase the parts of the cylinder
you don't want, starting with the ones sticking out each side, then the one
in the middle (three parts, plus the ends);, lastly, erase the remnants of
the cylinder (a circle on either side) on the face of the curved surface.

It takes less time to do than tell, and if you're familiar with the program,
and some of the above is not even necessary ... if you're really interested,
and I can find the time today, I'll make you an animated "tutorial" of the
steps above ... using the "scenes" function, a tutorial is easy to do in
SketchUp.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Try _not_ making the part that you want the hole in, a 'group' or
"component", and that may make it easier for you.

That part is easy - I drew the blank and never tried turning it into
anything. I suppose that made it a plain vanilla "model".

Draw your cylinder (but maker it longer, so that it sticks out on either
side of the part); make it into a "component"; poke it through your curved
surface with it sticking out on either side; then use "interface with
model"; then "explode" the cylinder; then erase the parts of the cylinder
you don't want, starting with the ones sticking out each side, then the one
in the middle (three parts, plus the ends);, lastly, erase the remnants of
the cylinder (a circle on either side) on the face of the curved surface.

Ok. I'll give this a try as soon as I can (got to run a few errands first).

It takes less time to do than tell, and if you're familiar with the program,
and some of the above is not even necessary ... if you're really interested,
and I can find the time today, I'll make you an animated "tutorial" of the
steps above ... using the "scenes" function, a tutorial is easy to do in
SketchUp.

Well - of course! Everything's easier once one knows how.

If you get time, I'd be really interested in the tutorial (I suspect I
have a "forehead slapper" coming up...

Thanks!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Hmm - ok, I created the cylinder for large hole (spider1.jpg) and made
it a component...

Moved it into the proper position and did "intersect with model"
(spider2.jpg)...

But when I attempted to delete the component, all I had was the original
blank (spider3.jpg)...

What am I missing?

OK ... attached is your "tutorial" for making holes in curved surfaces,
which takes you step by step through the process. Just click on each
successive "scene" tab.

Be aware that this is just one method ... there are other ways to skin this
cat in SketchUp.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

Well - of course! Everything's easier once one knows how.

Your tutorial did the trick. I've attached my (good) result.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Attached Thumbnails
SketchUp-spider-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
[...]

Are there supposed to be pictures attached cause I am not seeing them
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

F Murtz wrote:

Are there supposed to be pictures attached cause I am not seeing them

There were, but binaries tend to have a short server lifetime. You can
see all but the final "good" drawings he

http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/

If you'd like a copy of the final jpeg, I'll be glad to e-mail it.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar