Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Air Compressor

I am looking to buy new Air compressor. What type and size would you
recommend for a woodworking shop + home improvement and construction
project (involving framing and roofing nailers)?

I am considering HarbourFreight. I have several air tools from it and
they are OK. Any experience with their air compressors?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sasha wrote:
I am looking to buy new Air compressor. What type and size would you
recommend for a woodworking shop + home improvement and construction
project (involving framing and roofing nailers)?

I am considering HarbourFreight. I have several air tools from it and
they are OK. Any experience with their air compressors?

Nailers require pressure, but very little volume. The biggest portable you
can handle would be my recommendation. In the shop, some guys use air tools
and sprayers that require a lot more air and have the 5 HP compressors, but
they are of little value for a construction project and kind of awkward
getting up on the roof.

I have no experience with Harbor Freight and I'd be rather skeptical of the
quality of their compressors. But they could be the same made in China stuff
the other guys are selling at higher prices.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 09:14:53 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

Sasha wrote:
I am looking to buy new Air compressor. What type and size would you
recommend for a woodworking shop + home improvement and construction
project (involving framing and roofing nailers)?

I am considering HarbourFreight. I have several air tools from it and
they are OK. Any experience with their air compressors?

Nailers require pressure, but very little volume. The biggest portable you
can handle would be my recommendation. In the shop, some guys use air tools
and sprayers that require a lot more air and have the 5 HP compressors, but
they are of little value for a construction project and kind of awkward
getting up on the roof.

I have no experience with Harbor Freight and I'd be rather skeptical of the
quality of their compressors. But they could be the same made in China stuff
the other guys are selling at higher prices.

My advice is to buy one that is bigger than what you think you need.
Once you eneter the world of compressor ownership, you will find other
things you want to do with it.

For just framing and roofing nailers, you could easily get by with one
of those $150 units with a claimed 3 hp and a 10 gallon tank. You will
find that if you are doing a fast line of nails, such as for sheathing
or decking, you may have to stop every so often and let the compressor
catch up. It won't be a killer though. When you later decide you might
like to be able to run a die grinder, however, it won't be enough
capacity. Take a long hard look at the air requirements for various
tools to figure out what you want for now AND for the future.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Sasha wrote:
[...]

One last thing. Don't worry about how to get your compressor up on the
roof. Leave it on the ground. A series of 50 foot 3/8 inch hoses will
get you anywhere you want to go, and actually add a little capacity.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 09:14:53 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

Snip

My advice is to buy one that is bigger than what you think you need.
Once you eneter the world of compressor ownership, you will find other
things you want to do with it.

For just framing and roofing nailers, you could easily get by with one
of those $150 units with a claimed 3 hp and a 10 gallon tank. You will
find that if you are doing a fast line of nails, such as for sheathing
or decking, you may have to stop every so often and let the compressor
catch up. It won't be a killer though. When you later decide you might
like to be able to run a die grinder, however, it won't be enough
capacity. Take a long hard look at the air requirements for various
tools to figure out what you want for now AND for the future.

My experience is that even with a framing nailer a typical 3-4 gal pancake
compressor is plenty and you don't have to wait for the compressor to
recharge if you are using a hose that is not too long or too small in
diameter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just upgraded from a "5HP"/20g (actually 1-2 HP) portable to a true
4HP/80g two-stage. My reasons were two-fold:

1. The single stage couldn't keep pressure *above* 120, which is where
some of my nailers like to be. 90 psi isn't always enough. The
new one bottoms out at 135 PSI :-)

2. Pneumatic sanders suck up a LOT of air - they're one of the more
air-hungry tools you can get. Went from 4 to 12 CFM :-)

I went with a cast iron oiled compressor this time, but I still need
to pick up an oil trap before I can retire the old one.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Dec 2009 12:21:15 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

I just upgraded from a "5HP"/20g (actually 1-2 HP) portable to a true
4HP/80g two-stage. My reasons were two-fold:

1. The single stage couldn't keep pressure *above* 120, which is where
some of my nailers like to be. 90 psi isn't always enough. The
new one bottoms out at 135 PSI :-)

2. Pneumatic sanders suck up a LOT of air - they're one of the more
air-hungry tools you can get. Went from 4 to 12 CFM :-)

I went with a cast iron oiled compressor this time, but I still need
to pick up an oil trap before I can retire the old one.

OTOH, I bought a Dewalt D55168 because its storage tank operates at
200PSI and it was less than 2HP so usable on 120V. You make a good
point about sanders (and paint sprayers) but I decided they weren't
something that I was likely to buy anyway (well, paint was a risk I
took). My nailers all spec 90-100PSI. My Senco siding nailer
(disclaimer: an eBay special) double-nails if it's too much above
90PSI.

It's a big step up from my PC pancake (which I still use).
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

It's a big step up from my PC pancake (which I still use).

Anyone who is seriously into woodworking and does some DIY home
repair/remodeling can certainly benefit from two air compressors.

I have a small Husky Scout that is really handy behind the seat of the
truck and is great for trimming cabinets and small jobs around the
house; and a 12gal semi portable oiler that's works just fine for what I
do in the shop (no air tools or spray painting), but just a bit too
unwieldy to be loading and unloading out of the truck for smaller jobs.

Historically I've run through the none lubricated pancake portables and
had to replace them about every three years, so, at $99, the little
Husky Scout nicely fits the bill for a throw-a-way at about a third of
the price.

YMMV ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:03:46 -0600, Swingman wrote:

krw wrote:

It's a big step up from my PC pancake (which I still use).

Anyone who is seriously into woodworking and does some DIY home
repair/remodeling can certainly benefit from two air compressors.

I've just started finishing the room above the garage for my shop.
Until I get the floor done and air lines run from below (the
compressor is going to stay in the garage), I'm using the pancake for
the nailers. It works fine, if it does cycle a lot.

I have a small Husky Scout that is really handy behind the seat of the
truck and is great for trimming cabinets and small jobs around the
house; and a 12gal semi portable oiler that's works just fine for what I
do in the shop (no air tools or spray painting), but just a bit too
unwieldy to be loading and unloading out of the truck for smaller jobs.

The pancake was my first compressor. If I had it to do over I'd
likely have gotten something better but it convinced SWMBO that a
compressor wasn't just another toy. ;-)

Historically I've run through the none lubricated pancake portables and
had to replace them about every three years, so, at $99, the little
Husky Scout nicely fits the bill for a throw-a-way at about a third of
the price.

Pancakes aren't any more expensive than that. I think I paid $250 for
the pancake and three finish nailers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sasha" wrote:

I am looking to buy new Air compressor. What type and size would you
recommend for a woodworking shop + home improvement and construction
project (involving framing and roofing nailers)?

I am considering HarbourFreight. I have several air tools from it
and
they are OK. Any experience with their air compressors?

HarborFreight! I wouldn't.

As far as a first compressor is concerned, get a portable wheeled unit
with the largest 120VAC motor available that can be connected to a 20A
c'bkr.

If you are in a 220V service area (No 120VAC), then other
considerations come into play.

More info is needed about your planned usage is needed.

Lew

More

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 27, 8:52*am, Sasha wrote:
I am looking to buy new Air compressor. What type and size would you
recommend for a woodworking shop + home improvement and construction
project (involving framing and roofing nailers)?

I am considering HarbourFreight. I have several air tools from it and
they are OK. Any experience with their air compressors?

A sub on a job of mine hauls this thing around. Very quiet and next
one I will buy for myself.
There's just something about cast iron and real oil that I like.
A bit pricy perhaps.
http://www.amazon.com/Senco-PC1130-C.../dp/B0000DYVRH
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:03:46 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

krw wrote:

It's a big step up from my PC pancake (which I still use).

Anyone who is seriously into woodworking and does some DIY home
repair/remodeling can certainly benefit from two air compressors.

I have a small Husky Scout that is really handy behind the seat of the
truck and is great for trimming cabinets and small jobs around the
house; and a 12gal semi portable oiler that's works just fine for what I
do in the shop (no air tools or spray painting), but just a bit too
unwieldy to be loading and unloading out of the truck for smaller jobs.

Historically I've run through the none lubricated pancake portables and
had to replace them about every three years, so, at $99, the little
Husky Scout nicely fits the bill for a throw-a-way at about a third of
the price.

YMMV ...

Ditto that. I have a little IR 3/4hp portable and a pair of 5gal
tanks with 100' of hose for onsite use.

At home in the shop, I get by with one of the $150 3hp (yeah, right)
HF units with a 20gal tank. I often hook up the spares to it for more
capacity. I want to replace the regulator with a more adjustable one,
but it's a cast iron job with oil bath, so it might last awhile.

One of the spare tanks (refugees from an old 2-part foam unit and
nylon lined inside) keeps my 1/4" stapler, brad nailer, or 1/2" crown
stapler going for 60-100 hits before it drops below 50psi.

--
"I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things
that money can buy." --Tom Clancy
Posted to rec.woodworking

FYI, most Senco roofing and siding type guns are made to be bounce
fired like roofers do, just hold the trigger and bounce as many times
as you want. So it fires an "indeterminate" number of nails or staples
per trigger pull. This can cause double fires quite easily if you are
using it like a shop tool. You can get a "determinate" trigger upgrade
from Senco. Call customer service and they send it for free. It is
just a little spring thing and not to hard to install. All internal so
it feels the same after you install it.

On Dec 27, 9:36*am, krw wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 22:30:59 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

FYI, most Senco roofing and siding type guns are made to be bounce
fired like roofers do, just hold the trigger and bounce as many times
as you want. So it fires an "indeterminate" number of nails or staples
per trigger pull. This can cause double fires quite easily if you are
using it like a shop tool. You can get a "determinate" trigger upgrade
from Senco. Call customer service and they send it for free. It is
just a little spring thing and not to hard to install. All internal so
it feels the same after you install it.

I thought of that. This one doesn't have a bounce trigger. I don't
know if the previous owner put a new trigger in it or what, but that's
not the problem. I could probably use a new set of O-rings, which I
have but I only needed the nailer to reside the garage on my last
house. ...and I've got a half a box of stainless nails sitting in a
bin with it and the O-ring kit, where they'll probably be for the next
decade. ;-)

Which compressor to buy. Nirodac[_2_] Woodworking 8 June 15th 09 05:35 PM
Air compressor/outside air [email protected] Woodworking 3 August 10th 05 06:11 PM
Air compressor Yaofeng Home Repair 12 October 15th 04 10:09 PM
Should I fix my air compressor? [email protected] Home Repair 10 October 15th 04 02:52 PM
Air Compressor Oil Jim Frogge Metalworking 10 September 7th 04 03:04 AM