Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Air Compressor

wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 09:14:53 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

Snip

My advice is to buy one that is bigger than what you think you need.
Once you eneter the world of compressor ownership, you will find other
things you want to do with it.

For just framing and roofing nailers, you could easily get by with one
of those $150 units with a claimed 3 hp and a 10 gallon tank. You will
find that if you are doing a fast line of nails, such as for sheathing
or decking, you may have to stop every so often and let the compressor
catch up. It won't be a killer though. When you later decide you might
like to be able to run a die grinder, however, it won't be enough
capacity. Take a long hard look at the air requirements for various
tools to figure out what you want for now AND for the future.

My experience is that even with a framing nailer a typical 3-4 gal pancake
compressor is plenty and you don't have to wait for the compressor to
recharge if you are using a hose that is not too long or too small in
diameter.