Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Which compressor to buy.

Looking for feed back.
I'm replaceing my old worn out 2HP CH compressor.
I want one of the 60 gallon 3+HP upright models. I've narrowed it down to
two models. Ingersol Rand model SS3L3 or Porter Cable C7510. Both meet my
needs (both car repair (just my cars and my kids) and woodworking (personal
non commercial home shop use). Sand blasting, spray painting and airtools,
on a very casual basis). My 2HP CH compressor lasted 20 years, so not a
lot of use. I can't decide which one is better, the price is the same for
both. I like the "V" configuration of the PC model pump, as opposed to the
in-line config of the IR model, plus the IR pump looks "small" compared to
the more "Robust" PC. Of course IR is a respected well known name in
compressors, and PC is well know in power tools, well at least before they
were bought out,(although not sure about compressors). Both packages have
made in USA on them (or should I say "not made in China"), The motor tags
say made in Mexico, didn't know that the US absorbed that country! Same
Emerson motors (almost) and pretty much the same air flow and electrical
specs. The IR pump actually has "made in US" cast into it.
So is the "V" config a better choice (cooling, noise, efficiency, etc.) or
is the inline cylinder pump from IR a better choice. The PC pump has no
indication as to where it is made.
And OBTW, is there actually somebody making compressors in the US these
days. I thought all tool making moved offshore.

Thanks in advance, Ray

Air Compressor Millan UK diy 23 June 19th 07 08:08 AM
What compressor to buy. [email protected] Home Repair 3 March 26th 07 06:17 PM
Help with compressor daniel peterman Metalworking 12 May 19th 06 03:07 PM
Air compressor help!! [email protected] Woodworking 8 December 3rd 05 07:40 PM
Air compressor Steve K Home Repair 9 November 17th 05 07:22 PM