Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Video of My Table Saw Out-feed Table

Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Nice work on the outfeed table AND the video! Thank you for sharing!

Bill

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE
--

Good job! I like the way you did the folding legs.

The background music sucks though. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
The background music sucks though. :-)

Did you see my other videos?
I get comments about the music so I made sure the radio was off, this
time. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

--

-MIKE-

Nice setup. How does it work when you tilt the blade? I watched most of
the video but started to get seasick by the time you were putting the leg
back up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Nice setup. How does it work when you tilt the blade? I watched most of
the video but started to get seasick by the time you were putting the leg
back up.

Yeah, me too on the seasick. :-)

Blade tilts fine. I made the notch for the saw guard wide enough to let
it pass. I had to cut a channel a bit in the bottom of the table to
receive the motor.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 22, 12:57*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message

Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

--

*-MIKE-

Nice setup. *How does it work when you tilt the blade? * I watched most of
the video but started to get seasick by the time you were putting the leg
back up.

Nice job! Looks well thought out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Darn fine engeineering job and exicution there Mike. Very nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:39:04 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Well done, sir!

--
We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond
with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Very nice. I take it your fence clamps in place on only one end? I have
been wanting to do something for my table saw, but my fence hooks on the
outfeed side, and clamps on the feed side.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 11:39*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Instead of taking pictures I just took some video and put it on YouTube. This is what I did... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Wish I could tell you "great job," but on dial-up, I'll never get to
see your efforts. I'd ask for a copy, but suspect It would be too
large to download at 56kps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 11:39*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Hey, part of it loaded - got a bit of audio ("alright, here's the
a . . .") and a nice image of the project (frame one, I suspect).

Very substantial in appearance.

I wonder if anyone has attempted or succeeded in building one using
the torsion box approach? I built a table for a handicapped fellow
using that approach (it had to be light to hang on steel shelving
supports allowing clearance for the wheel chair) and (noticing the
thickness of your project) thought it might be ideal for such a TS
Extension - light and all that.

"out feed table made for my new to me Delta Table saw..." It's still
coming in!

I noticed a cut out that appears to be under the fence. and another
"behind" the blade. I am assuming the second is for the blade guard.
But what is the first one I mentioned for?

"you can see down here..."

Wow, is that massive! It looks as if it's framed with a 2 x 6 and
"topped" with two 3/4" thicknesses of particle board.

I got to the Miter Slot and had to get off line.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Very nice. I take it your fence clamps in place on only one end? I
have been wanting to do something for my table saw, but my fence hooks
on the outfeed side, and clamps on the feed side.

Yes, it only clamps on the infeed side.

But google the crap out if, because I'm pretty cure I've seen some
attached table designs for saws that have the fence hook on the outfeed
side.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Nov 21, 11:39 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Instead of taking pictures I just took some video and put it on YouTube. This is what I did... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Wish I could tell you "great job," but on dial-up, I'll never get to
see your efforts. I'd ask for a copy, but suspect It would be too
large to download at 56kps.

Aren't you the guy who couldn't see my router table, either?
I remember saying I'd put up pics, but never did. Sorry about that.
I'll take some pics of both and get them up... and let you know when I do.

It's about 150megs, so probably too big. What's you limit... I could
try to shrink it a bit.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 21, 11:39*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Form follows function. Nice job!

TWO cat doors?
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Very nice, Mike. I've been wanting to build something similar to that for my
Unisaw for a long time, but I've just never gotten around to it. At the same
time I'd also want to redo the stock table board that came with my Unifence,
which is quite crappy compared to the one that ships with the Biesemeyer fence,
and I'd imagine that whatever I do with the table board might also play into
the design of the out-feed table. I think maybe the only thing I'd do
differently than you would be for the support legs to angle back towards the
saw and attach to the mobile base instead of heading straight for the floor.
Not quite as sturdy, but a little less intrusive, and the distance should be a
"set it once and forget it" kinda thing. The saw would also retain the ability
to remain mobile while the out-feed table is in use.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Nov 21, 11:39 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Hey, part of it loaded - got a bit of audio ("alright, here's the
a . . .") and a nice image of the project (frame one, I suspect).

Very substantial in appearance.

I wonder if anyone has attempted or succeeded in building one using
the torsion box approach? I built a table for a handicapped fellow
using that approach (it had to be light to hang on steel shelving
supports allowing clearance for the wheel chair) and (noticing the
thickness of your project) thought it might be ideal for such a TS
Extension - light and all that.

I thought of that and almost bought an interior door for it. Someone
else in here pointed out that those luan doors are torsion boxes made
from wood veneer sandwiching a cardboard honeycomb. I have shelves made
from replaced interior doors that are holding up a lot of weight, and
yeah, you can lift those doors with one hand.

I decides against using a door for several reasons. I already had all
these leftover materials sitting around. I wanted a very smooth top and
would have to treat the door surface in some way (that luan isn't
exactly slick). At 20 bucks, the door would've tripled my budget. :-) I
spent 10 on the piano hinge.

"out feed table made for my new to me Delta Table saw..." It's still
coming in!

I noticed a cut out that appears to be under the fence. and another
"behind" the blade. I am assuming the second is for the blade guard.
But what is the first one I mentioned for?

Yes, one for the guard. The other two for the miter slots.
The fence was sitting on top of one of the slots.

"you can see down here..."

Wow, is that massive! It looks as if it's framed with a 2 x 6 and
"topped" with two 3/4" thicknesses of particle board.

The frame of the bigger section is mostly 2" wide boards-- 3 sides
poplar with a tuba-four on the hinge side. That's the width the leftover
poplar ended up after joining. I straightened and surfaced the tuba-four
to match the small section, which is about 3-1/4" because I wanted it
sturdy enough to hold the weight of the bigger table. The small section
is mostly plywood with the poplar front to allow better holding for the
hinge screws.

The frame on the short portion of the table is topped with 1/2" mdf for
structure, with 1/2" melamine under-screwed to the mdf. I originally
tried carpet tape but it wouldn't hold down well enough.

The large portion of the table is a single sheet of melamine
under-screwed to the simple frame.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Form follows function. Nice job!

Thanks. Coming from you, that means something. Not that the other
compliments are unappreciated, but your work is always very impressive.

TWO cat doors?

Ahhh, I *knew* someone would catch that. One in the garage door with a
"keyed" entry and the other in the regular door so they can get in and
out of the house. You need to see the one I made in the window. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 22, 11:27*am, Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Nov 21, 11:39*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Instead of taking pictures *I just took some video and put it on YouTube. This is what I did...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Wish I could tell you "great job," but on dial-up, I'll never get to
see your efforts. I'd ask for a copy, but suspect It would be too
large to download at 56kps.

Dial up? People still use dial up? Geesh :^)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Steve. I thought about legs that angled to the saw base, but was
concerned about the weight of a sheets of plywood possibly tipping the
whole saw. This thing is very heavy, but not the behemoth that is the
Unisaw. :-)

I may also redo the extension table with melamine to match. I wasn't
expecting this thing to look as good as it does. I'm not one of those
guys who's tools, benches and jigs look like furniture. I like my tools
to be tools and my furniture... well you get the point. I may also spray
paint the table frames to match the gray of the Delta metal table frame.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Nov 21, 11:39 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Instead of taking pictures I just took some video and put it on YouTube. This is what I did... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Wish I could tell you "great job," but on dial-up, I'll never get to
see your efforts. I'd ask for a copy, but suspect It would be too
large to download at 56kps.

After being smooshed by the youtube processors, it's only 18megs.
Can you download that?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi said:

I wonder if anyone has attempted or succeeded in building one using
the torsion box approach? I built a table for a handicapped fellow
using that approach (it had to be light to hang on steel shelving
supports allowing clearance for the wheel chair) and (noticing the
thickness of your project) thought it might be ideal for such a TS
Extension - light and all that.

I built an outfeed table using a torsion box design. It doesn't fold,
but rather lifts off but is _very_ lightweight. I cannot find any pix
of its construction, I think the ex was off with the camera.
It has two adjustable screws that level it with the saw top and the
legs are actually a roller stand used before building the extension.
The faces are tempered 3/16" hardboard, nitro-lacquered, and waxed.
The miter slides were let into SPF 2x4s incorporated into the top
before sandwiching together. Yadda, yadda...

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Nov 21, 11:39 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Instead of taking pictures I just took some video and put it on
YouTube. This is what I did...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Wish I could tell you "great job," but on dial-up, I'll never get to
see your efforts. I'd ask for a copy, but suspect It would be too
large to download at 56kps.

After being smooshed by the youtube processors, it's only 18megs.
Can you download that?

It will take him 45 minutes minimum

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

--

-MIKE-

Beautiful job. But you must not do much woodworking. The shop is too clean.
(GRIN) Warren

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

WW wrote:
This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

--

-MIKE-

Beautiful job. But you must not do much woodworking. The shop is too clean.
(GRIN) Warren

My feminine side just had to sweep up some, before shooting the vid. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

It's about 150megs, so probably too big. *What's you limit... I could try to shrink it a bit.

..GIF images take up less space (esp at 256 colors) and are fine for
Internet Viewing. The resolution of many monitors is such that higher
resolution/pixel images are wasted IMHO, of course.

On my web site, I try and keep it simple and fast loading to get the
information across. Then, if needed, I can always shoot an interested
party a higher resolution / larger file or point to such a copy
"deeper" in my site.

I would say that VGA resolution would be fine for most of the stuff we
share here and on similar sites as the option of sending a larger
file always exists.

Thank you
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 22, 2:21*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:

Dial up? *People still use dial up? * Geesh * :^)

I bought a Netzero e-mail account years ago for 9.99/yr and it came
with thirty hours / month of "free" dial up access. I found it a real
blessing when traveling through the hills of East Tn looking for
property and staying in the least expensive motel rooms I could find.
They didn't have HS Internet/Wireless connections - but the had a free
local calls phone and that was all I needed to e-mail, fax (in/out)
etc.

I have a local only phone - no long distance service - cheapest thing
I could get up here in the hills and use 800 numbers and phone cards
to do the long distance calling.

We went to Netzero HS last year and can use it from our Northern and
Southern abodes simultaneously which means we have two connections for
$15/month. If I could find a router with an RS-232C port, I might be
able to network both computers to the same dial-up connection when the
wife is with me.

As my Grandmother would say, watch the pennies and the dollars will
take care of themselves.""
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 23, 10:49*am, Hoosierpopi wrote:

... . If I could find a router with an RS-232C port, I might be
able to network both computers to the same dial-up connection

Not just an RS-232C port, go for one with a builtin modem.
The graphite and snow Airport models (Apple made them
compatible with Windows as well as MacOS setup tools),
and Lucent/Orinoco early routers had Ethernet, WiFi, and
modems builtin. Used ones can't be too pricey; Apple
model numbers are M8440, M5757, and some (not all) A1034;
Lucent model RG-1000.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
It's about 150megs, so probably too big. What's you limit... I could try to shrink it a bit.

.GIF images take up less space (esp at 256 colors) and are fine for
Internet Viewing. The resolution of many monitors is such that higher
resolution/pixel images are wasted IMHO, of course.

On my web site, I try and keep it simple and fast loading to get the
information across. Then, if needed, I can always shoot an interested
party a higher resolution / larger file or point to such a copy
"deeper" in my site.

I would say that VGA resolution would be fine for most of the stuff we
share here and on similar sites as the option of sending a larger
file always exists.

Thank you

I was talking about the video, not pics.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:23:05 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Nov 21, 11:39 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

Instead of taking pictures I just took some video and put it on YouTube. This is what I did... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Wish I could tell you "great job," but on dial-up, I'll never get to
see your efforts. I'd ask for a copy, but suspect It would be too
large to download at 56kps.

Aren't you the guy who couldn't see my router table, either?
I remember saying I'd put up pics, but never did. Sorry about that.
I'll take some pics of both and get them up... and let you know when I do.

It's about 150megs, so probably too big. What's you limit... I could
try to shrink it a bit.

I was on dial for long time. When folks posted pics larger than 200
megs, it was just too much.

Currently I have an adjustable Record roller--works OK most of the
time but not nearly as nice as the folding outfeed table. Great for
cutting 4x8 sheets solo.
Posted to rec.woodworking

yes....

http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb...ID-639331.html

Hoosierpopi wrote:
On N
I wonder if anyone has attempted or succeeded in building one using
the torsion box approach?

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Nice job!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
Thanks for all the pictures and ideas.
I made a folding version and it turned out great.
Instead of taking pictures and having to write descriptions and all
that, I just took some video and put it on youtube.

This is what I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRgwJzlFrOE

Nice job!

Thanks.
Having seen your work, you're another guy who's kudos carry some weight.
:-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23 Nov 2009 14:58:06 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com scrawled the following:

GarageWoodworks wrote in news:c22bc8a5-a091-
:

Dial up? People still use dial up? Geesh :^)

It's better than satellite. Satellite has such a high latency
it's only
good for downloading stuff (watching movies and the like) but the satellite
companies all have (un)Fair Access Policies that limit how much you can
download.

The latency on some connections is enough to make pages load in about the
same amount of time as dialup!

Downloads of normal website pages was always fast for me. On uploads,
though, I found it SLOWER than a 26.6k connect via a land line for
moving a new website to the server. Small files took FOREVER on a sat
connection due to those damned latencies. I'm _much, much_ happier
with 1.5mbs DSL. I just saw that 7mbs is cheaper than I'm paying now
for 1.5 and bitched to Qwest about it. They told me "Oh, sorry. 7mbs
isn't available in your area yet. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

--
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I just saw that 7mbs is cheaper than I'm paying now
for 1.5 and bitched to Qwest about it. They told me "Oh, sorry. 7mbs
isn't available in your area yet. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Qwest phone + slowest DSL + all the added fees was running right around
$100/month for us. A friend started offering high speed internet service
for $45/month and when I finally told Dave to sign me up, the throughput
rate was about double Qwest's, and he threw in phone service for another
$5/month (actual monthly total billing is $51.09). CID, call forwarding,
etc all included in the $5/month.

They brought out a new modem and I retired my old Cisco 675 - then a
couple of weeks ago Carol ("I hate computers!") decided that she might
want a laptop. I called Dave to find out what I needed to buy so that
Carol could have a wireless connection. The answer was "Don't buy
anything - you already have everything you need. We can walk you through
the modem setup over the phone when you get the laptop."

What made it interesting is that he's buying everything from Qwest at
wholesale rates and selling a lower, but still profitable, retail price.
The "Customer Service" folks at Qwest couldn't understand why I didn't
want to go back.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:06:01 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I just saw that 7mbs is cheaper than I'm paying now
for 1.5 and bitched to Qwest about it. They told me "Oh, sorry. 7mbs
isn't available in your area yet. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Qwest phone + slowest DSL + all the added fees was running right around
$100/month for us. A friend started offering high speed internet service
for $45/month and when I finally told Dave to sign me up, the throughput
rate was about double Qwest's, and he threw in phone service for another
$5/month (actual monthly total billing is $51.09). CID, call forwarding,
etc all included in the $5/month.

I'm now paying $72/mo for phone (cid and vm) and DSL. I was paying
Dish $129/mo for Starband internet and TV (180 ch + dig FM). I gave
up the TV and am happy ever after...if I could get faster DSL. Caching
delays for Netflix suck. It reminds me of Dish uploads.

They brought out a new modem and I retired my old Cisco 675 - then a
couple of weeks ago Carol ("I hate computers!") decided that she might
want a laptop. I called Dave to find out what I needed to buy so that
Carol could have a wireless connection. The answer was "Don't buy
anything - you already have everything you need. We can walk you through
the modem setup over the phone when you get the laptop."

Cool!

What made it interesting is that he's buying everything from Qwest at
wholesale rates and selling a lower, but still profitable, retail price.
The "Customer Service" folks at Qwest couldn't understand why I didn't
want to go back.

I tried one of the Qwest resellers a few years ago and it ended up
costing $3 and change more per month. I was NOT impressed.

--
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote in news:16afef5d-c561-4815-
:

[...]

You could pick up a cheap old computer and put a hardware modem in it and
run free router software like Freesco. The two issues you'll run in to
are modems dieing and finding replacement hardware modems. Software
modems (those that require Windows, Winmodems, etc) don't play nice with
older hardware.

I run with a Freesco box for years to share a dial-up connection. It was
solid and the only troubles we had were with modems.

Puckdropper
--
Time to show XNews where my signature file is...