Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Add on in/out feed table for a jointer?

I am considering a rather expensive combination machine with a 40" jointer
table. That seems rather short; my Delta 6" is 47", and I would often like
it bigger.

The combination machine company recommends adding one of these to the infeed
table; they think a short outfeet table is adequate.
http://www.martin-usa.com/detail.asp...14%20000%20192

I have serious doubts about getting this adequately colinear with the infeed
table; and I doubt a 20" outfeed table is long enough either.

Whatcha think? Anyone ever use one of these?
Sadly I will have serious trouble getting a larger machine into my shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Toller wrote:
I am considering a rather expensive combination machine with a 40" jointer
table. That seems rather short; my Delta 6" is 47", and I would often like
it bigger.

The combination machine company recommends adding one of these to the infeed
table; they think a short outfeet table is adequate.
http://www.martin-usa.com/detail.asp...14%20000%20192

I have serious doubts about getting this adequately colinear with the infeed
table; and I doubt a 20" outfeed table is long enough either.

Whatcha think? Anyone ever use one of these?
Sadly I will have serious trouble getting a larger machine into my shop.

Never used one, but I'm in agreement on all counts -- 40" is far too
short unless all you do is small cabinetry or similar and I don't think
it would be easy at all to get one of those set up to be of real use
for precision jointing. From the picture it doesn't even look very
sturdy/stable, maybe there's more to it than meets the eye...???

I'd be looking for alternatives, methinks, or at least planning on not
getting rid of the jointer which sorta' defeats (I presume) the
purpose...sorta' leads into a rehash of the previous thread wherein I
wondered about the purpose of the multipurpose machine...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:24:25 -0800, dpb wrote:

(Clippy got the whole thing)

The sheer fact that the auxilliary table exists is an admission that the
original table is often too short

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree that the extension does look a little (ok maybe a lot) too flimsy to
have any real stability to be practical. However a much more sturdy setup
with easily adjustable legs would work fine. If you have your machine bolted
down, locating holes could be placed in the floor for the rear legs which
would minimise setup time each time you use it as it would always have a
reference point. However it would be a bit of a PITA as each time you adjust
cutting depth the extension would also have to be adjusted.

"Toller" wrote in message
I am considering a rather expensive combination machine with a 40" jointer
table. That seems rather short; my Delta 6" is 47", and I would often

like
it bigger.

The combination machine company recommends adding one of these to the

infeed
table; they think a short outfeet table is adequate.
http://www.martin-usa.com/detail.asp...14%20000%20192

I have serious doubts about getting this adequately colinear with the

infeed
table; and I doubt a 20" outfeed table is long enough either.

Whatcha think? Anyone ever use one of these?
Sadly I will have serious trouble getting a larger machine into my shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul D" wrote in message
I agree that the extension does look a little (ok maybe a lot) too flimsy
have any real stability to be practical. However a much more sturdy setup
with easily adjustable legs would work fine. If you have your machine
bolted
down, locating holes could be placed in the floor for the rear legs which
would minimise setup time each time you use it as it would always have a
reference point. However it would be a bit of a PITA as each time you
adjust
cutting depth the extension would also have to be adjusted.

I didn't even think of having to adjust the infeed support. That pretty
much kills the idea by itself. Thanks.
(They can't get one on the outfeed table because the TS fence is in the way)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Toller wrote:
[...]

I don't know what they were thinking of with the 40" jointer. Anyone who
wants a 2.5hp shaper and mortiser will need more than a 40" jointer.

I am beginning to think that they really don't serve any purpose. Anyone
who has room to use one probably also has room to use individual machines.

I am thinking about abandoning the 5/1 idea and getting a jointer/planer.
It would be a major upgrade for me in both, and wouldn't require much more
room than my jointer.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Toller wrote:
I am considering a rather expensive combination machine with a 40" jointer
table. That seems rather short; my Delta 6" is 47", and I would often like
it bigger.

I think you'd be better off getting seperate machines on mobile bases
(if you are tight for space).

I wish my jointer bed was longer as well. I've tried to rig up outfeed
stuff, and the results have been disappointing.. Now granted, I didn't
put that much effort into it.