Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Garage or workshop?

Every now and then I get the urge to browse the world, and with the
little town of Qom, Iran in the news I thought it might be interesting
to explore the neighborhood and sure enough, it sorta was...

If you enjoy looking at unusual scenery, pull up

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Aina+Iran

(You'll want satellite view with labels) You should see Faizabad to the
west and Baqerabad to the NNW. Now zoom in on the very center of that
triangle until you see little white rectangles. You should find yourself
in a really interesting place with more garages than homes, and it
appears the (about 45' wide) driveways don't actually connect to any
streets.

After than, zoom back out until the driveways become little white dots
to see just how busy these folks have been. I can tell it's a nice
neighborhood because they've buried all the phone and power lines.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just keep in mind that the satellite imagery can be months or years out of
date. I enjoy zooming in on my kids villa construction on the outskirts of
Cairo, Egypt. The imagery was just updated this past month, says 2009 at
the bottom, but their construction is clearly as it existed in the fall of
2008.

David Merrill

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Merrill wrote:
Just keep in mind that the satellite imagery can be months or years out of
date. I enjoy zooming in on my kids villa construction on the outskirts of
Cairo, Egypt. The imagery was just updated this past month, says 2009 at
the bottom, but their construction is clearly as it existed in the fall of
2008.

Agreed, although I suspect that these things will be harder to spot as
time passes and imagery is updated.

A better URL might have been
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.90...982& t=h&z=14

I'd really wanted to call up a bird's eye view, but suspect that normal
photographic flyovers may be discouraged by the management.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 8:09*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
[...]

Verrrrry innnterestinggg. Looks to me that something gets pulled out
from underneath that earthen roof, onto the pad,
and......and.....and.....maybe a lost scene of Xevious.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Merrill" wrote in message
Just keep in mind that the satellite imagery can be months or years out of
date. I enjoy zooming in on my kids villa construction on the outskirts
of
Cairo, Egypt. The imagery was just updated this past month, says 2009 at
the bottom, but their construction is clearly as it existed in the fall of
2008.

David Merrill

Is he in New Cairo? I was there in May, loved Cairo. Best strawberry
juice I ever had. If I didn't have ties back in the states, and younger,
I'd move there for a while. I'm in Qatar, much different then Cairo. Count
down...11 weeks

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Merrill wrote:

Just keep in mind that the satellite imagery can be months or years out of
date. I enjoy zooming in on my kids villa construction on the outskirts
of
Cairo, Egypt. The imagery was just updated this past month, says 2009 at
the bottom, but their construction is clearly as it existed in the fall of
2008.

Even in the US this is the case and can be different at different
resolutions. A year ago, I looked up some property we used to own in
Texas. At reasonable resolution, it showed the new house the current
landowner had constructed on that property, but when zoomed to the highest
resolution, it showed the slab for the house that the owner prior to us had
put down and then was unable to build the house.

Rob Leatham
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pretty cool find.
Secret submarine base ?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 09/27/2009 06:09 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

If you enjoy looking at unusual scenery, pull up

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Aina+Iran

(You'll want satellite view with labels) You should see Faizabad to the
west and Baqerabad to the NNW. Now zoom in on the very center of that
triangle until you see little white rectangles. You should find yourself
in a really interesting place with more garages than homes, and it
appears the (about 45' wide) driveways don't actually connect to any
streets.

I'm assuming those are bunkers of some sort...anyone know what might be
inside them?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
On 09/27/2009 06:09 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

If you enjoy looking at unusual scenery, pull up

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Aina+Iran

(You'll want satellite view with labels) You should see Faizabad to the
west and Baqerabad to the NNW. Now zoom in on the very center of that
triangle until you see little white rectangles. You should find yourself
in a really interesting place with more garages than homes, and it
appears the (about 45' wide) driveways don't actually connect to any
streets.

I'm assuming those are bunkers of some sort...anyone know what might be
inside them?

Chris

Not sure what's in those or these, but these are definitely bunkers.
Much more obvious when driving by and viewing from ground level.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=navy%20undersea%20nevada&oe=utf-8&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bart wrote:
Pretty cool find.
Secret submarine base ?

LOL - I suppose the Russians nixed an original plan to put it on the
Caspian shore, so they built it inland.

This one (a few miles west) was a bit more difficult to spot:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.93....035491&z =15

But I still haven't spotted the enrichment facility that's been reported
NE of Qom. Anyone have coordinates for that?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.93....027264,0.0354....

But I still haven't spotted the enrichment facility that's been reported
NE of Qom. Anyone have coordinates for that?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

About 25+ years ago, an engineer I worked with at the power company
(Ontario Hydro as it was then called) went to Iran on loan to their
power company to help out with protection and control development and
lived there for over 2 years. He dreaded having to come back here to
Canada. We shared many a glass of wine and I watched, with absolute
awe, a few hundred colour slides he took while he was there. What a
beautiful country.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bart wrote:
Pretty cool find.
Secret submarine base ?

LOL - I suppose the Russians nixed an original plan to put it on the
Caspian shore, so they built it inland.

This one (a few miles west) was a bit more difficult to spot:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.93....035491&z =15

But I still haven't spotted the enrichment facility that's been reported
NE of Qom. Anyone have coordinates for that?

About 25+ years ago, an engineer I worked with at the power company
(Ontario Hydro as it was then called) went to Iran on loan to their
power company to help out with protection and control development and
lived there for over 2 years. He dreaded having to come back here to
Canada. We shared many a glass of wine and I watched, with absolute
awe, a few hundred colour slides he took while he was there. What a
beautiful country.

Some parts are beautiful and some seem forbidding. I lived about 650
miles from this location across the Gulf - and thought the sand desert
there was beautiful. Methinks beauty is where you choose to see it.

This area appears to have been seriously uglified. At first I wondered
about the light-colored circular discolorations. Then I paid a bit of
attention to where they were located and guessed that they're a less
than friendly way of saying "Keep off the grass".

It seems a shame to do that to one's own backyard...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

the little town of Qom, Iran in the news I thought it might be
interesting.

Did you see the Daily Show last night? He did a bit on Qom, Iran I
can't repeat here and do it justice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A better URL might have beenhttp://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.905079,50..798378&spn=0.054552,0.070...

I'd really wanted to call up a bird's eye view, but suspect that normal
photographic flyovers may be discouraged by the management.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Here is the only photo I have actually seen - can't seem to place it
on the map.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/juli...ear-qom-geneva

Posted to rec.woodworking

See Google Earth for a smattering of details.
Mostly weapons storage as I recall.