Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

Default Garage vs. basement workshop.

I Know we have been over this a few times, but I have a few technical
questions.

My basement is mostly finished and only space available is in the
"furnace room." What are the issues concerning the impact of dust on a
furnace and hot water heater. I alread know what happens when you get
tons of dust on the doorbell transformer..

My wife does ceramic stuff, so I figure the basement is a better place
than the garage!? She is going to want a furnace to fire the clay, and
eventually a sink possibly, and there is bathroom right next to furnace
room, and gas and electricity are available in basement.

The room is pretty small. probably 12' x 25' and has a furnace and hot
water heater, breaker panel, poured cement walls and cement floor,
bordered by metal frame wall to the living area.

I'm not a 'woodworker' but a dabbler. I already have a computer room as
thats my main hobby. In fact I tried to get rid of the table saw but
ended up buying a Miter saw instead.

Because fundamentally I am a dabbler and have many hobbies, I want to
put the shop in the basement. So im hoping for dust solutions as that
is the main problem I am seeing for a basement workshop.

--
Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Call 1-800-445-4669 for assistance.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , dnoyeB wrote:
I Know we have been over this a few times, but I have a few technical
questions.

My basement is mostly finished and only space available is in the
"furnace room." What are the issues concerning the impact of dust on a
furnace and hot water heater.

Combustible dust and any source of ignition is a bad combination. So is dust
and air handling equipment -- you don't want sawdust spread throughout the
house.

I alread know what happens when you get
tons of dust on the doorbell transformer..

My wife does ceramic stuff, so I figure the basement is a better place
than the garage!? She is going to want a furnace to fire the clay, and
eventually a sink possibly, and there is bathroom right next to furnace
room, and gas and electricity are available in basement.

I don't imagine airborne sawdust is going to do her ceramics any good.

The room is pretty small. probably 12' x 25' and has a furnace and hot
water heater, breaker panel, poured cement walls and cement floor,
bordered by metal frame wall to the living area.

If you can erect a wall segregating the furnace and water heater from the
shop area, and still leave enough space for a decent shop, that might work.

I'm not a 'woodworker' but a dabbler. I already have a computer room as
thats my main hobby. In fact I tried to get rid of the table saw but
ended up buying a Miter saw instead.

Because fundamentally I am a dabbler and have many hobbies, I want to
put the shop in the basement. So im hoping for dust solutions as that
is the main problem I am seeing for a basement workshop.

Dust collection is a must. So is a separate air filter unit. (Delta and JET
both make good ones.) And keep the dust away from your furnace and water
heater.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Waller

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:37:55 -0500, dnoyeB wrote:

[...]

One of the things that the other responders have missed entirely is that
ceramics creates its own very fine dust. Sawdust pales in comparison.

Ceramic dust is not combustible but is finds it's way everywhere.

The other problem is moisture. Working with clay (yes I do have experience)
requires that the material be damp until the raw form has been completely
worked. Without going into the specific details of keeping things damp, let it
suffice to say that the moisture in the air is noticeable.

Then it is set to dry for a period before firing. Sometimes, the dry piece also
needs attention. That is done with scrapers and sometimes even sandpaper. This
makes for heavier dust that can actually be cleaned up with a dustpan and brush
before destroying a perfectly good Shop Vac.

Personally, I would never consider mixing mud and wood in the same shop space.

____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

I'm not convinced that dust is the major concern.

* Access to electrical panel. Does your garage have the
capacity? How about plumbing?

* Comfort. Can you heat/cool your garage where you can be
comfortable all year around, or will this have to be seasonal?

* Access. Can you move your machinery and material down the
stairs?

In my case the first two items were the deciding factor. It's
a major issue to move wood and metalworking machinery down
(and someday back up) the stairs. But it's a comfortable
and convenient environment, and easy to add to or reconfigure
as needed. Dust hasn't been a big issue for me.