Kris

Default Garage / workshop inner walls

Any ideas to tart up the inner walls of a single concrete
block workshop ?
A coat of paint would be better than nothing but the blocks
are very coarse. I was thinking of something thicker to skim
or paint on, smoothing out the surface.
BTW I'm no good at plastering and a workshop doesn't
justify a prof. job.

Chris

Bob Minchin

Kris wrote:

Any ideas to tart up the inner walls of a single concrete
block workshop ?
A coat of paint would be better than nothing but the blocks
are very coarse. I was thinking of something thicker to skim
or paint on, smoothing out the surface.
BTW I'm no good at plastering and a workshop doesn't
justify a prof. job.

Chris

You could try an artex like compound. Seal the wall first with dilute
PVA and allow to dry first otherwise the artex will dry before you can
smooth it out.
If you are not confident about getting a smooth enough surface you could
always get artistic with an artex comb?

Bob

Andy Hall

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:44:47 +0100, "Kris" wrote:

Any ideas to tart up the inner walls of a single concrete
block workshop ?
A coat of paint would be better than nothing but the blocks
are very coarse. I was thinking of something thicker to skim
or paint on, smoothing out the surface.
BTW I'm no good at plastering and a workshop doesn't
justify a prof. job.

Chris

I insulated mine.

First step was to fix 75 x 50mm studs, then Celotex between them (hint
- use 600mm centres or gaps so that one sheet can be ripped lengthwise
for two spaces).

I then attached 18mm ply, primed and painted white. This makes a
huge difference in that it can easily and economically be maintained
at room temperature while working and is dry. Things can easily be
fixed anywhere to the wall and it is a light place in which to work.

Well worth the investment.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
adder

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..

I insulated mine.

First step was to fix 75 x 50mm studs, then Celotex between them (hint
- use 600mm centres or gaps so that one sheet can be ripped lengthwise
for two spaces).

I then attached 18mm ply, primed and painted white. This makes a
huge difference in that it can easily and economically be maintained
at room temperature while working and is dry. Things can easily be
fixed anywhere to the wall and it is a light place in which to work.

Well worth the investment.

Do you need to comply with building regs to do things like this?
Andy Hall

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:41:56 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Andy Hall wrote in message

I insulated mine.

Do you need to comply with building regs to do things like this?

If you mean is a building notice or application required, as I
understand it not. It is not being used as a habitable space, purely
as a workshop and for storage.

Would a garage converted to an office, or part office, be termed as
habitable space. The office is a work room too.

AIUI, you may have a Building Regulations issue, since I believe that
an office is deemed to be habitable space. It may also represent a
change of use. If the garage is integral or attached to the house
then there may be implications related to fire or possibly structural
aspects.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Installing power sockets and light into an adjacent garage Andy Hide UK diy 0 July 21st 03 10:00 AM
Heating a Garage Andrew McKay UK diy 13 July 18th 03 05:33 AM
Painting the garage floor Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 17th 03 07:49 PM
Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:43 PM
Old garage needs a clean Davide UK diy 5 July 8th 03 07:50 PM