Davide

Default Old garage needs a clean

Hi,

I have bought a new car and have the possibility of storing it in a garage
which has not been opened in years.
I have given it a clean but all the parts of the sliding garage door are
rusty.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a product which can reduce or stop the
rusting.
Also does anyone know how much new sliding garage doors cost nowdays.

Thks

Davide

A liberal spray with WD40 followed by a greasing of the moving parts,
such as the wheels and anything else which moves. Don't try partial
dissambly without some help as the door is often very heavy by itself.
How I didn't break my back when mine came of the roller on one side I
don't know.

Thks.

Do you have any suggestions for a locking device to be attached to the
garage door.
We don't have the key to the mechanism. I could replace it if I knew who the
manufacturer was but i don't. I wonder if the locks for sliding doors are
all standard size.

wanderer

"Davide" wrote in message

snip

Do you have any suggestions for a locking device to be attached to the
garage door.
We don't have the key to the mechanism. I could replace it if I knew who

the
manufacturer was but i don't. I wonder if the locks for sliding doors are
all standard size.

The handle mech is probably held on by just a couple of set screws through
the door. If you take it off and go a locksmith, they'll almost certainly be
able to supply a new locking handle, or possibly even just a new insert for
the handle.

The Natural Philosopher

Davide wrote:

Hi,

I have bought a new car and have the possibility of storing it in a garage
which has not been opened in years.
I have given it a clean but all the parts of the sliding garage door are
rusty.

Do you mean all sliding parts, or all the door?
If the former, WD40 fine emery and a liberal application of a good
grease. If the latter, wire brush, then one of those phosphoric acid
things that turn iron oxide into iron phosphate, fllowed by car body
filler to make good any surface irregularities, then a spray coat of
filler primer, all being rubbed down between, then some car spray paint
will produce an immaculate result.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a product which can reduce or stop the
rusting.
Also does anyone know how much new sliding garage doors cost nowdays.

Thks

Peter Ashby

In article ,
"Davide" wrote:
Do you have any suggestions for a locking device to be attached to the
garage door.
We don't have the key to the mechanism. I could replace it if I knew who the
manufacturer was but i don't. I wonder if the locks for sliding doors are
all standard size.

http://www.safelocks.co.uk/garagedoor-locks.html

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.

Rich

http://www.new-garage-door-parts.com/lock-handles.html