Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Metric

"jo4hn" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"notbob" wrote in message
On 2009-09-08, Leon wrote:

Ok, What ia half of 5.3 mm?
It's 2.65mm.

Jaysus! If you can't divide 5.3 by 2 in your head, you just flunked
gradeschool math.

nb

Now that you have told me the answer, point me to a rule that will
indicate that distance.

OMG Leon. Everybody knows that .5mm = 1RCH.

Or at least now everybody knows.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-09, Leon wrote:

I am sorry to have troubled you notbob. Clearly you shoud refrain from
answering my questions as they seem to throw you into a tizzy.

In your dreams.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/8/2009 6:27 PM Puckdropper spake thus:

Morris Dovey wrote in :

Leon wrote:

Actually, volume and weight is where the metric system really
shines.

Really? What is the metric unit for weight?

Just yankin your chain. ;~)

Bakatcha

Newtons. But no one uses Newtons (except certain PDA users). Mass
is usually confused for weight. Just wait until we find life on
other planets and go there, just wait!

We'll probably be using a different measuring system by then. :-)

I know there's a certain amount of chain-yanking going on here, and
that I myself am contributing to it. Nonetheless, it seems to me that
this distinction here between weight and mass is a bunch of irrelevant
nitpicking by pointy-headed scientist types. To *most* human critters
on the planet, they're the same thing, practically speaking. Sheesh.

Who cares how much a bucket of cement weighs on the planet Snorlax?

Many places in engineering you care about the mass, not the weight--most
fluid dynamic calculations for example require knowing the density of the
fluid in mass/volume.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 09/09/2009 12:07 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Nonetheless, it seems to me that this
distinction here between weight and mass is a bunch of irrelevant
nitpicking by pointy-headed scientist types. To *most* human critters on
the planet, they're the same thing, practically speaking. Sheesh.

Try and stop a submarine at flank speed and you'll care a lot about mass
vs weight.

Ditto figuring out the acceleration of a blimp.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 12:06*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 09/09/2009 12:07 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Nonetheless, it seems to me that this
distinction here between weight and mass is a bunch of irrelevant
nitpicking by pointy-headed scientist types. To *most* human critters on
the planet, they're the same thing, practically speaking. Sheesh.

Try and stop a submarine at flank speed and you'll care a lot about mass
vs weight.

Ditto figuring out the acceleration of a blimp.

Both are things I have to be concerned about every day.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 9:54*am, Chris Friesen wrote:

-the force due to gravity on earth of 1kg is very close to 10 newtons

Thank you Chris. For the first time in my life I have an intuitive
feel for what a friggin Newton is: it's 100 grams or the amount of dry
pasta needed for a regular plate or the amount of prosciutto I would
buy for lunch.

Yes I know the difference between mass and weight. But for most
practical purposes on the face of the earth, the difference doesn't
matter. And I knew that a Newton was one kilogram-metre per second
squared. & I could do some calculations with it, but I didn't know
what it was!

Thanks!

Luigi

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 2:06*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 09/09/2009 12:07 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Nonetheless, it seems to me that this
distinction here between weight and mass is a bunch of irrelevant
nitpicking by pointy-headed scientist types. To *most* human critters on
the planet, they're the same thing, practically speaking. Sheesh.

Try and stop a submarine at flank speed and you'll care a lot about mass
vs weight.

Weight the submarine before it leaves dry dock.

Ditto figuring out the acceleration of a blimp.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

snip

Who cares how much a bucket of cement weighs on the planet Snorlax?

The Snorlaxian Labor Union! ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Sep 9, 9:54 am, Chris Friesen wrote:

-the force due to gravity on earth of 1kg is very close to 10 newtons

Thank you Chris. For the first time in my life I have an intuitive
feel for what a friggin Newton is: it's 100 grams or the amount of dry
pasta needed for a regular plate or the amount of prosciutto I would
buy for lunch.

Yes I know the difference between mass and weight. But for most
practical purposes on the face of the earth, the difference doesn't
matter.

That's only because you don't have one of my gee-whiz passive solar
heating panels yet.

And I knew that a Newton was one kilogram-metre per second
squared. & I could do some calculations with it, but I didn't know
what it was!

Now the challenge is to find a (bathroom/postal/deli/freight) scale
calibrated in Newtons.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 4:03*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Luigi Zanasi wrote:
[...]

Personally...I don't give a fig about Newtons.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:55:49 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Sep 9, 7:18*am, Han wrote:
Robatoy wrote :

On Sep 8, 9:51*pm, Han wrote:
notbob wrote

bob.com:

On 2009-09-09, Upscale wrote:

has been invading most everything. That is, except for the food
that we export up from the US. And, considering that 90% of our
food comes from the US, it's a wonder we don't all starve deciding
how to allocated all those pounds and quarts of food.

We're bound to go metric pretty soon. *After all, isn't Mexico on
the metric system. *

nb *

Metric or not, a pound is half a kilo, an ounce is 100 g or 1/1 a
kilo.
*At
least when I was a child. *I think now they are getting confused ...
*Must
be because of the € ...

--
Best regards
Han

Een ons vlees. was 100 gram/ 500 gram 'een pond'.

Indeed

*My grandfather always talked about 'duim' (thumb)..I guess about an
inch.

Yes, that was very, very old-fashioned/obsolete when I was a kid

At our house in The Netherlands, the indoor temp was always in degrees
F.

Well, we had dual scales on the thermometer (or was it triple, with
Reaumur sp? too)

Everything else was metric.

Everything was always metric.

a 100mm x 100mm x100mm cube of water weighs 1 KG and is one liter. (At
max density 4C)

Makethat 1 dm cubed.

mm's are confusing enough. dm's are WAY over the top. G

Especially around Easter when they are pastel colored.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-09, Morris Dovey wrote:

Now the challenge is to find a (bathroom/postal/deli/freight) scale
calibrated in Newtons.

What challenge? Found it on the first Google search page:

http://tinyurl.com/mgxf2w

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

Personally...I don't give a fig about Newtons.

What about dynes or Joules?

Probably not much interest in them either.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-09, Morris Dovey wrote:

Now the challenge is to find a (bathroom/postal/deli/freight) scale
calibrated in Newtons.

What challenge? Found it on the first Google search page:

http://tinyurl.com/mgxf2w

Nicely done! I'd have bet against finding one from anyone other than a
lab supplier

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Robatoy" wrote:

Personally...I don't give a fig about Newtons.

What about dynes or Joules?

Probably not much interest in them either.

Lew

Depends on what you mean... family Joules?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 05:32:40 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

I now make parts for different people who e-mail/fax me drawings so I
can quote on them.
Some parts are such that I can't tell what they are or what they're
the purpose of them are.
Sometimes I see dimensions as obviously imperial ones, sometime it is
hard to tell, especially when I have NO clue what these parts are.
Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what system is used as I work in
both metric and imperial.
But what seems to be the reason for the US hold-out to stay with an
archaic system?

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9974/metricmap.jpg

Reason? Most people do not like this kind of change (nor the Obama
kind.) Now we are stuck with two systems. Woodworkers are usually
skilled in adding fractions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-09, Leon wrote:

9mm is actually closer to a .357

So is a .38 Special.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
I now make parts for different people who e-mail/fax me drawings so I
can quote on them.
Some parts are such that I can't tell what they are or what they're
the purpose of them are.
Sometimes I see dimensions as obviously imperial ones, sometime it is
hard to tell, especially when I have NO clue what these parts are.
Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what system is used as I work in
both metric and imperial.
But what seems to be the reason for the US hold-out to stay with an
archaic system?

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9974/metricmap.jpg

I think that we should stop using both the 'English' system of measurements
(which is used in the US) and the metric system. At the same time we should
also stop using decimal notation for representing numbers.

All of the present measurements systems are based upon silly anthropomorphic
considerations. Instead we should switch to using Planck units and hexadecimal.

Both the English and metric systems have too many funny constants and conversion
factors. (The pro metric people claim that they don't but they are there. I.e.
how many calories are there in a joule: 0.239005736 or erg: 2.39005736x10^-8 .
How many calories are there in a Calorie: 1000 (Calling the kilocalorie a Calorie
is really silly), etc.). Planck units simplify things. For instance, Einstein's
famous equation e = m*c^2 is simply e = m. (The c^2 is in the equation simply
because we measure energy and mass in different funny units.)

For more information on Planck units see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_units

Likewise the use of decimal (base 10) for representing numbers is based on
the minor detail that people have 10 fingers. Since most people have stopped
doing arithmetic on their fingers, we should switch to a more rational base
for our number system. Ask any computer and it will tell you that binary
is much more rational. The only disadvantage of binary is that it takes a
bunch of digits to represent anything useful. Hexadecimal reduces the binary
digit count by a factor of four. Most numbers take fewer digits in hex than
in decimal.

Some of the other discussions in this thread have pointed out that the decimal
system (and the metric system) is great if you want to scale by 10 but is a
pain if you are only trying to scale down by 2. Binary (and hexadecimal)
works well for scaling by 2, 4, 8, or 16, etc.

For more information on Hexadecimal see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-09, Dan Coby wrote:

system (and the metric system) is great if you want to scale by
10....

Counter argument in support of base ten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_9g-WoezG8

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote:
Yup. We do frown on illegal handguns coming into Canada.

So how do they get in?

They need to start arresting smugglers instead of just frowning at
them.

It would be considerably less expensive to change the law on handguns.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2009 11:12 AM notbob spake thus:

On 2009-09-09, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Please pardon my ignorance: what's an RCH? All Google gives is
"Recognised Clearing Houses" (using define:rch).

Heh heh....

I almost got caught, too. Try googling for rch unit of measure.

Gotcha.

OK, new question: how big is an RCH? (Sorry if this has been covered
here before ad nasueam.)

I read one comment on a web page[1] that claimed it was 1/200" (OK, for
those who prefer fake units of measurement, that's 0.127mm).

[1]
http://www.neatorama.com/2009/01/30/...f-measurements,
which has interesting units like the "jerk" and the "sagan".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2009 4:21 PM Dan Coby spake thus:

Likewise the use of decimal (base 10) for representing numbers is
based on the minor detail that people have 10 fingers. Since most
people have stopped doing arithmetic on their fingers, we should
switch to a more rational base for our number system. Ask any
computer and it will tell you that binary is much more rational. The
only disadvantage of binary is that it takes a bunch of digits to
represent anything useful. Hexadecimal reduces the binary digit count
by a factor of four. Most numbers take fewer digits in hex than in
decimal.

OK, I want to see how adept you are at hex arithmetic. Quick: what are

1. A09E + B1AF
2. 79 * AAAA
3. 2179 / 9D2

Show your work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 5:35*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
OK, new question: how big is an RCH? (Sorry if this has been covered
here before ad nasueam.)

I read one comment on a web page[1] that claimed it was 1/200" (OK, for
those who prefer fake units of measurement, that's 0.127mm).

The point is that a RCH is not convertible into other units. It's an
RCH.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/8/2009 6:27 PM Upscale spake thus:

"Leon" wrote in message [...]

Actually, volume and weight is where the metric system really shines.

Depends on where you live. Up here in the great white north, metric is and
has been invading most everything. That is, except for the food that we
export up from the US. And, considering that 90% of our food comes from the
US, it's a wonder we don't all starve deciding how to allocated all those
pounds and quarts of food.

Interesting (that most of your food comes from here); seems like a lot
of the food I buy here in the U.S. comes from Canada. I buy most of my
food at Traitor Joe's, and it's surprising how much stuff says "product
of Canada".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/9/2009 5:44 PM Luigi Zanasi spake thus:

On Sep 9, 5:35 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

OK, new question: how big is an RCH? (Sorry if this has been covered
here before ad nasueam.)

I read one comment on a web page[1] that claimed it was 1/200" (OK, for
those who prefer fake units of measurement, that's 0.127mm).

The point is that a RCH is not convertible into other units. It's an
RCH.

Ah, sui generis. I see.

Now I just need to find me one ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Science has been using the metric system since early on.
The inch foot pound ... is clunky when dealing in volumes.

For the apple crate maker - do as he wants.

When dealing with numbers, the base 10 is always easier than
some base this and some that and gradients in this and that ....

Science in the US is metric. It is the home folk and the
building trades - general trades that remain that way.

Wood and metal people have different resolutions that cause
issues. A metal person is in 1/10000 while a wood guy might
be 1/16 1/8 1/4 and so forth e.g. more or less.

Schools taught metric, but they themselves don't use it.
It is a classroom exercise not a way of life. Teachers
don't want to learn it and use it like anyone else.

Slowly it is creeping into food storage. Machine bolts and
such are mandated to go metric - and at first were Imperial
just denoted in metric values. Sucky way at best.

There were at least three metric systems. It isn't a French
system. It is a standard - a unified German, British, French and Japanese.
Oh - the US had people there - and they agreed. And yes
the standard is generated in France.

It was the measure used in the bible. It is much older than
England or Britain.

I use metric all the time. I use Imperial all the time. I don't
stick to one or the other. I have tools of both houses.

Martin
[ any electrical, electronic, physics, and engineers in general are metric ]

J. Clarke wrote:
Ed Edelenbos wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Ed Edelenbos wrote:
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 9/8/2009 6:32 AM J. Clarke spake thus:

dpb wrote:

Robatoy wrote:

But what seems to be the reason for the US hold-out to stay with
an archaic system?
Comfort...it's what people grew up with so it's what's natural.
The hold-out is that the US is still at least somewhat responsive
to the will of the people and the public doesn't _want_ some
bizarre French system crammed down its throat.
Amen.

Yeah, the US would much rather hold out for some stupidly bizarre
measurement that had to do with the distance from the nose to the
thumb of some long dead English king.
It's only stupidly bizarre to those who didn't grow up with it. And
it goes
back to Rome or earlier, not to "some long dead English king".

I think the yard as we know it dates back to Henry I of England. And
I *did* grow up with it. I'm kind of ****ed about that. It is a
stupid system, regardless of how I can relate to it.

Bizarre French system? Talk about your basic unadulterated
horse****... downright bizarre, if you ask me.
It's not bizarre only if you grew up with it.

It isn't bizarre... it's based on science.

On what "science" is it based? What research was conducted to show that the
units selected for the Metric system were of greater utility than other
units?

I should have grown up
with it as opposed to having it as a sideline. The majority of
manufacturing and packaging is done with metric... why is my country
so stinking backwards it can't (or more accurately, won't) teach it
(effectively) in schools?

Yes it's *my* country, but I really wonder about it sometimes.

Interesting--on the one hand you say that the US is backward and doesn't
teach it, but on the other, you say that it's used in the majority of
manufacturing and packaging, so how _do_ the manufacturers and packagers
figure it out?

In any case, I learned it in school and never really found a reason to use
it in everyday life. It's just some silly system that some silly people
made up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-09-09, J. Clarke wrote:

manufacturing and packaging, so how _do_ the manufacturers and packagers
figure it out?

I dunno... they hire French engineers to do the hard work? The work that
requires thought?

They actually use their brains to THINK, a simple function of higher
animals that seems to be rapidly falling out of favor.

nb

They do it out of desperation, hoping they can recover some small part of
the business they've lost to foreign manufacturers who changed over 50 years
ago.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/8/2009 7:29 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

"Robatoy" wrote:
and so do crack, guns and hookers. This ****ing casino is nothing but
an asshole magnet.
--------------------------------

You have a definite opinion on the matter I see.

BTW, thought you folks frowned on guns coming in to Canada, especially
from the USA.

Sounds like you didn't see "Bowling for Columbine" (Michael Moore's
movie). One thing he pointed out is that Canucks actually own more guns
(per capita, I b'leeves) than Merkins, and yet there isn't half as much
violent crime up there. (The reason for this is not even what Moore
himself expected to find. I won't give any spoilers; rent the flick.)

I especially loved the sequence where Moore knocks on doors in Toronto,
and then tries the latches and opens them (none were locked). Priceless.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=weight+scales
The tall scale on the right. select it - comes in metric if wanted - software.

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/9/2009 4:21 PM Dan Coby spake thus:

Likewise the use of decimal (base 10) for representing numbers is
based on the minor detail that people have 10 fingers. Since most
people have stopped doing arithmetic on their fingers, we should
switch to a more rational base for our number system. Ask any
computer and it will tell you that binary is much more rational. The
only disadvantage of binary is that it takes a bunch of digits to
represent anything useful. Hexadecimal reduces the binary digit count
by a factor of four. Most numbers take fewer digits in hex than in
decimal.

OK, I want to see how adept you are at hex arithmetic. Quick: what are

1. A09E + B1AF
2. 79 * AAAA
3. 2179 / 9D2

Show your work.

11
A09E
+ B1AF
-----
1524D

AAAA
x 79
-----
5FFFA
4AAA6
------
50AA5A

3.6894
______
9D2 | 2179
1D76
-----
4030
3AEC
-----
5440
4E90
----
5B00
5862
----
29E0
2748
----
298
Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Sounds like you didn't see "Bowling for Columbine" (Michael Moore's
movie). One thing he pointed out is that Canucks actually own more
guns (per capita, I b'leeves) than Merkins, and yet there isn't half
as much violent crime up there. (The reason for this is not even
what Moore himself expected to find. I won't give any spoilers; rent
the flick.)

I especially loved the sequence where Moore knocks on doors in
Toronto, and then tries the latches and opens them (none were
locked). Priceless.

Nope, not a flick person

Comment was based on mt experiences sailing across Lake Erie or Lake
Huron to various ports in Ontairo and checking in with customs.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:
and so do crack, guns and hookers. This ****ing casino is nothing but
an asshole magnet.
--------------------------------

You have a definite opinion on the matter I see.

BTW, thought you folks frowned on guns coming in to Canada, especially
from the USA.

Sounds like you didn't see "Bowling for Columbine" (Michael Moore's
movie). One thing he pointed out is that Canucks actually own more guns
(per capita, I b'leeves) than Merkins, and yet there isn't half as much
violent crime up there. (The reason for this is not even what Moore
himself expected to find. I won't give any spoilers; rent the flick.)

I especially loved the sequence where Moore knocks on doors in Toronto,
and then tries the latches and opens them (none were locked). Priceless.

The mayor of my city was in "Bowling". We still tease him about his
'stardom'..
Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
Interesting (that most of your food comes from here); seems like a lot
of the food I buy here in the U.S. comes from Canada. I buy most of my
food at Traitor Joe's, and it's surprising how much stuff says "product
of Canada".

Well, much of it is true, but maybe not as much as I intimated. I think it
depends on the type of food. I notice many of the fruits I eat originate
from Florida or California while vegetables and beef often come from
somewhere in Canada. Obviously a climate thing. I've also noticed a
significant amount of fruits coming from South America. There's a march on
to advance home grown foods with the advertising lauding how fresh Canadian
produce is because it gets to the dinner table faster because it doesn't
have to travel so far to get here. But it seems like there's a whole lot of
inter-country food commerce going on when there doesn't really need to be.
Maybe it advances trade in other areas where bigger profits are made.

When you see Canadian grown food, is it measured in metric? Your US food
comes here in quarts, pints, pounds and ounces.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 9, 9:36*pm, "Upscale" wrote:
[...]

DINGDINGDINGDING!!!! YOU are the 200 th caller. Free pints for you at
the Duke of Richmond (The next to Old City hall...or..wait, the Duke
Of Gloucester on Yonge might be closer.... but that is in an iffy
area...
Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

(79 * A = 4BA)

4BA
4BA
4BA
4BA
------
50AA5A

3. 2179 / 9D2

(division by repeated subtraction)

2179
-9D2
----
17A7
-9D2
----
DD5
-9D2
----
403

3 R403

Show your work.

Hmm - do you really have a calculator phobia?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article m, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Interesting (that most of your food comes from here); seems like a lot
of the food I buy here in the U.S. comes from Canada. I buy most of my
food at Traitor Joe's,

Whattsamatter, you don't like Joe very much?
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:
[...]
There were at least three metric systems. It isn't a French
system. It is a standard - a unified German, British, French and Japanese.
Oh - the US had people there - and they agreed. And yes
the standard is generated in France.

It was the measure used in the bible. It is much older than
England or Britain.

The metric system? Used in the Bible? I don't think so.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article m, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Sounds like you didn't see "Bowling for Columbine" (Michael Moore's
movie). One thing he pointed out is that Canucks actually own more guns
(per capita, I b'leeves) than Merkins, and yet there isn't half as much
violent crime up there. (The reason for this is not even what Moore
himself expected to find. I won't give any spoilers; rent the flick.)

Typical Michael Moore "facts". The truth is that gun ownership per capita in
the U.S. is almost _three times_ the rate in Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._gun_ownership

Metric tap set El Cazador Metalworking 4 August 9th 07 05:41 AM
metric sparkplugs?? mm Home Repair 20 November 25th 06 01:27 AM
Over and under metric reamers Jack Lai Metalworking 5 July 11th 05 11:00 PM
BA to metric conversion Mike Francis Metalworking 15 June 12th 05 01:14 AM
Inches or Metric? James Hart UK diy 54 July 25th 03 10:13 PM