Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Metric

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/9/2009 4:21 PM Dan Coby spake thus:

Likewise the use of decimal (base 10) for representing numbers is
based on the minor detail that people have 10 fingers. Since most
people have stopped doing arithmetic on their fingers, we should
switch to a more rational base for our number system. Ask any
computer and it will tell you that binary is much more rational. The
only disadvantage of binary is that it takes a bunch of digits to
represent anything useful. Hexadecimal reduces the binary digit count
by a factor of four. Most numbers take fewer digits in hex than in
decimal.

OK, I want to see how adept you are at hex arithmetic. Quick: what are

1. A09E + B1AF

A09E
+B1AF
-----
1524D

2. 79 * AAAA

(79 * A = 4BA)

4BA
4BA
4BA
4BA
------
50AA5A

3. 2179 / 9D2

(division by repeated subtraction)

2179
-9D2
----
17A7
-9D2
----
DD5
-9D2
----
403

3 R403

Show your work.

Hmm - do you really have a calculator phobia?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar