Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Marking Guage Poll

I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

http://garagewoodworks.com/gw_blog/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Once, not ounce. :^(
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 12, 10:34*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
Once, not ounce. * :^(

gauge, not guage. ;^)
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Jul 13, 1:49 am, Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Jul 12, 10:34 pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:

Once, not ounce. :^(

gauge, not guage. ;^)

Damit! Thank you. Corrected.

Damn it, not damit...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 13, 1:49*am, Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Jul 12, 10:34*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:

Once, not ounce. * :^(

gauge, not guage. ;^)

Damit! Thank you. Corrected.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 13, 2:04*am, dpb wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Jul 13, 1:49 am, Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Jul 12, 10:34 pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:

Once, not ounce. * :^(
gauge, not guage. ;^)

Damit! * Thank you. * *Corrected.

Damn it, not damit...

--

I wuz nevar good at speling. :^|

Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

http://garagewoodworks.com/gw_blog/

If you haven't, try the Veritas or Tite-Mark wheel gauges. They both
lock down tightly, but the Tite-Mark has the advantage of being able to
operate the fine-adjust with one hand. Both of them have A2 wheels,
which means they stay sharp for a long time.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

Tite-Mark.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 13, 10:03*am, Chris Friesen wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

http://garagewoodworks.com/gw_blog/

If you haven't, try the Veritas or Tite-Mark wheel gauges. *They both
lock down tightly, but the Tite-Mark has the advantage of being able to
operate the fine-adjust with one hand. *Both of them have A2 wheels,
which means they stay sharp for a long time.

Chris

I was chcking out the Veritas on line last night. The micro-adjust
feature is very appealing. On the shop-fox I own, the fence will move
with too much force. Th knife style gauge own is made of rosewood so
the thumb screw really tightens down good against the wood. If it
locks down tightly like you said, I might give it a try.
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 13, 2:04*am, dpb wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Jul 13, 1:49 am, Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Jul 12, 10:34 pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:

Once, not ounce. * :^(
gauge, not guage. ;^)

Damit! * Thank you. * *Corrected.

Damn it, not damit...

--

I understand that dammit is now socially acceptable. Dagnabbit is
allowed as well. GollyGeeWillikers is still tabu.

Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:

I was chcking out the Veritas on line last night. The micro-adjust
feature is very appealing. On the shop-fox I own, the fence will move
with too much force. Th knife style gauge own is made of rosewood so
the thumb screw really tightens down good against the wood. If it
locks down tightly like you said, I might give it a try.

The Veritas tightens like a router collet, so it compresses uniformly
against the shaft. I like the microadjust, but save a few bucks and get
the one without graduations.

The TiteMark uses a pointed thumbscrews that lock into a V-groove in the
shaft.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 13, 11:13*am, Chris Friesen wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
I was chcking out the Veritas on line last night. *The micro-adjust
feature is very appealing. On the shop-fox I own, the fence will move
with too much force. Th knife style gauge own is made of rosewood so
the thumb screw really tightens down good against the wood. If it
locks down tightly like you said, I might give it a try.

The Veritas tightens like a router collet, so it compresses uniformly
against the shaft. *I like the microadjust, but save a few bucks and get
the one without graduations.

The TiteMark uses a pointed thumbscrews that lock into a V-groove in the
shaft.

Chris

Chris- Do you have a link for the Veritas? I might be looking at the
wrong model.
Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:

Chris- Do you have a link for the Veritas? I might be looking at the
wrong model.

Here's the Veritas one. It's available in standard and micro-adjust, as
well as graduated/non-graduated:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...55&cat=1,42936

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:03:03 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:

GarageWoodworks wrote:
I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

http://garagewoodworks.com/gw_blog/

If you haven't, try the Veritas or Tite-Mark wheel gauges. They both
lock down tightly, but the Tite-Mark has the advantage of being able to
operate the fine-adjust with one hand. Both of them have A2 wheels,
which means they stay sharp for a long time.

Chris

I like the old Stanley. Can't remember the model number, but it has two
arms with a wheel on one end of each and a pin on the other. If you only
need one, the other retracts into the body out of the way. But you'd
have to find an old tool dealer to get one - or be very lucky at an
estate sale.

I've got 2 and am very careful not to lose them :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 13, 11:48*am, Chris Friesen wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
Chris- Do you have a link for the Veritas? *I might be looking at the
wrong model.

Here's the Veritas one. *It's available in standard and micro-adjust, as
well as graduated/non-graduated:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...55&cat=1,42936

Chris

Yep, that's the one I was checking out. It looks like it has a regular
thumb screw, but I guess it's made differently than my piece of crap.
Ok, I'm sold. I have been very happy with Veritas so far. Those
Canadians sure do know a thing or two about woodwerk'n.

Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Jul 13, 11:48 am, Chris Friesen wrote:

Yep, that's the one I was checking out. It looks like it has a regular
thumb screw, but I guess it's made differently than my piece of crap.
Ok, I'm sold. I have been very happy with Veritas so far. Those
Canadians sure do know a thing or two about woodwerk'n.

On the microadjust version, you first lock the rear of the body against
the shaft using the knurled nut at the back end of the head. This locks
using a router collet style compression fitting. You then turn the
front part of the body relative to the back of the body for fine
adjustment. The fine adjustment locks with the thumbscrew.

One thing to watch out for on all the versions with a circular
body...make sure they don't roll off your bench! I wish they'd machined
one or two flats on the rim to prevent this (or made it oval like their
3-in-1 gauge).

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:

GarageWoodworks wrote:
[...]

Minor correction, at least if you are talking about this one
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,42936&p=50440
which I own, it is not oval. It stays on the bench by virtue of the
rod being mounted off-denter in the circular bearing disc.

I still prefer my old simple pin type, with knife-sharpened pin. My
complaint with the 3-in-1 is that the natural place to grip it is also
the tightening mechanism, and I find myself inadvertently loosening
it.

OP: Alf's review of wheel-type marking gauges at the link below is the
best I have found.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4110
Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:
Chris Friesen wrote:

One thing to watch out for on all the versions with a circular
body...make sure they don't roll off your bench! I wish they'd machined
one or two flats on the rim to prevent this (or made it oval like their
3-in-1 gauge).

Minor correction, at least if you are talking about this one
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,42936&p=50440
which I own, it is not oval. It stays on the bench by virtue of the
rod being mounted off-center in the circular bearing disc.

Yes, that's the one I meant. Goes to show how long I've been working on
renovation projects rather than fine woodworking.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Minor correction, at least if you are talking about this onehttp://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,42936&p=50440
which I own, it is not oval. It stays on the bench by virtue of the
rod being mounted off-denter in the circular bearing disc.

I still prefer my old simple pin type, with knife-sharpened pin. My
complaint with the 3-in-1 is that the natural place to grip it is also
the tightening mechanism, and I find myself inadvertently loosening
it.

OP: Alf's review of wheel-type marking gauges at the link below is the
best I have found.

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4110

Nice link! Thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote:

Here's the Veritas one. It's available in standard and
micro-adjust, as
well as graduated/non-graduated:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...55&cat=1,42936

SFWIW

Had one, found it to be a lot less useful than I thought it was going
to be when I bought it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 13, 12:34*am, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

http://garagewoodworks.com/gw_blog/

Knife cutters can be sharpened to a crowned,
wheel-like profile. Bevel the stock side of the
cutter to make the tool pull firm against a
workpiece as you push or pull it.

If you like wheel type gauges, they're very
easy to make by driving a drywall screw into
a block of wood, with the head set the desired
offset distance from the block.

Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

http://garagewoodworks.com/gw_blog/

If you haven't, try the Veritas or Tite-Mark wheel gauges. *They both
lock down tightly, but the Tite-Mark has the advantage of being able to
operate the fine-adjust with one hand. *Both of them have A2 wheels,
which means they stay sharp for a long time.

Chris

I like the old Stanley. *Can't remember the model number, but it has two
arms with a wheel on one end of each and a pin on the other. *If you only
need one, the other retracts into the body out of the way. *But you'd
have to find an old tool dealer to get one - or be very lucky at an
estate sale.

I've got 2 and am very careful not to lose them :-).

Stanley #95 butt gauge has two beams with knives
on either end, plus a handy square built into the
stock. I reach for it more times than I do my other
scratch gauges.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 13, 2:04 am, dpb wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Jul 13, 1:49 am, Luigi Zanasi wrote:
On Jul 12, 10:34 pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:

Once, not ounce. :^(
gauge, not guage. ;^)

Damit! Thank you. Corrected.

Damn it, not damit...

--

I understand that dammit is now socially acceptable. Dagnabbit is
allowed as well. GollyGeeWillikers is still tabu.

Taboo, not tabu.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Taboo, not tabu.

Where's LRod when you need him?

-Zz

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Maybe spending my early years on a drafting board has affected the way
I approach things, but doing layouts with a scale that doubles as a
straight edge and some sharp 3H drafting pencils works for me most of
the time.

An old electric pencil sharpener is quite helpful.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm an ol' pencil drafter myself but I surely use a knife or scribe
whenever I want a layout mark that will also cut the fibers so I get a
clean cut and have a guide for my backsaw or chisel, etc,

In fact, one tip I give out for doing mortises with a chisel mortise
is to layout the rectangle and do deep knife cuts so the overlapping
cuts of the square chisel find their way into the knof cut and you get
nice clean long sides.

On Jul 13, 5:49*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Subject

Maybe spending my early years on a drafting board has affected the way
I approach things, but doing layouts with a scale that doubles as a
straight edge and some sharp 3H drafting pencils works for me most of
the time.

An old electric pencil sharpener is quite helpful.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:

snip

One thing to watch out for on all the versions with a circular
body...make sure they don't roll off your bench! I wish they'd machined
one or two flats on the rim to prevent this (or made it oval like their
3-in-1 gauge).

Chris

Veritas is very good at taking a Tried & True tool design and refine
and improve it. This time they missed. The Tite-Mark on the other hand
got it exactly right.

The knurled nuts extend out beyond the diameter of the wheel on the
end that acts as the fence. - and keeps it from rolling off your bench.

The wheel is Single Bevel which cuts a vertical wall on one side the the
"scribe" line - perfect for registering the flat bottom of a chisel
against
- say for example the bottom of dovetail sockets. Also makes it easy
to reset the gauge off and existing scribe line - or a mortise or tenon.

The single bevel wheel fits into a complimentary depression in the
"fence"
- safe from being dinged - something a cutting wheel this hard is proned
to do.

The Tite-Mark also has a nylon (?) set screw that lets you adjust how
easily the "fence", middle adjuster and "end" parts slide.

I've used the Tite-Mark to set my rip fence, measure depths, etc. Very
handy tool.

Glenn Drake really thought out the design of this marking gauge, which
you won't fully appreciate until you use one for a year or so.

Costs more - but after you've used others - worth every penny.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

I'm an ol' pencil drafter myself but I surely use a knife or scribe

whenever I want a layout mark that will also cut the fibers so I get a
clean cut and have a guide for my backsaw or chisel, etc,

In fact, one tip I give out for doing mortises with a chisel mortise
is to layout the rectangle and do deep knife cuts so the overlapping
cuts of the square chisel find their way into the knof cut and you get
nice clean long sides.

If I need to "engrave", it's time for a 6H pencil or an X-acto knife,
either gets about the same results; however, try not to do handwork,
leave that to the artisans.

I'm a power tool type.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen writes:

One thing to watch out for on all the versions with a circular
body...make sure they don't roll off your bench! I wish they'd machined
one or two flats on the rim to prevent this ...

Easy to fix. You have a file?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 21:34:23 -0700 (PDT), GarageWoodworks
wrote:

I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

http://garagewoodworks.com/gw_blog/

Nice site

Here's what my gauge looks like, except mine is rosewood instead of
beech. The removable curved work fence is useful.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

forgot the link:

http://pecktool.com/index.php?main_p...du cts_id=291

wrote:

I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

http://garagewoodworks.com/gw_blog/

Nice site

Here's what my gauge looks like, except mine is rosewood instead of
beech. The removable curved work fence is useful.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

http://garagewoodworks.com/gw_blog/

I have had one of these for decades: I am very happy with it...it's an
old friend.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020JNEC
Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:
I am conducting a poll (very scientific poll) on marking guages. Pin,
knife or wheel style.
Please vote (ounce). Results to follow.

Tite-Mark.

-Zz