Vic Dura

Default guage vs. linear measure

Just curious about something. Is there a relationship between "gauge"
and linear measure such as inches or centimeters? Is the diameter of a
14-gauge wire the same thickness as 14-gauge metal sheet?
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.
Duane Bozarth

Vic Dura wrote:

Just curious about something. Is there a relationship between "gauge"
and linear measure such as inches or centimeters? Is the diameter of a
14-gauge wire the same thickness as 14-gauge metal sheet?
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

No, as Vic says, wire and thickness "gage" measurements are different
scales. To make it even more interesting, there are differing gage
scales as well (at least six in my Perry's).
Vic Dura

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:39:52 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Vic Dura wrote:

Just curious about something. Is there a relationship between "gauge"
and linear measure such as inches or centimeters? Is the diameter of a
14-gauge wire the same thickness as 14-gauge metal sheet?
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

No, as Vic says, wire and thickness "gage" measurements are different
scales. To make it even more interesting, there are differing gage
scales as well (at least six in my Perry's).

What are the six in your Perry's? I can think of three:

1) wire diameter
2) steel thickness
3) shot gun cartridge

Oh, and thanks for the spell correction of "gage". It's amazing how
easily I can make myself look like a fool.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.
Duane Bozarth

wrote:

Vic Dura wrote:

Just curious about something. Is there a relationship between "gauge"
and linear measure such as inches or centimeters? Is the diameter of a
14-gauge wire the same thickness as 14-gauge metal sheet?
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

No, as Vic says, wire and thickness "gage" measurements are different
scales. To make it even more interesting, there are differing gage
scales as well (at least six in my Perry's).

What are the six in your Perry's? I can think of three:

Rather than being totally different applications, they're varying wire
and thickness standards most of which have proprietary backgrounds from
early manufacturing days before national/international standards were
common/established. There are relatively small differences (in absolute
terms) between these, but the differences can be significant in close
tolerance applications. For typical household wiring, the differences
are not significant.

1) wire diameter

- AWG or Brown & Sharpe (normally non-ferrous wire and sheet altho
footnote shows sometimes used for iron wire as well)

- US Steel Wire or Washburn&Moen or Roebling or Am. Steel&Wire
- Birmingham (BWG for steel wire) or Stubs Iron Wire
- Imperial Standard Wire Gage

2) steel thickness

- US Standard
- Standard Birmingham

I'm sure there are probably others--I didn't look at what are current
ISO standards, for example.

3) shot gun cartridge

Totally different scale and I don't have data at hand.

George E. Cawthon

wrote:

Vic Dura wrote:

Just curious about something. Is there a relationship between "gauge"
and linear measure such as inches or centimeters? Is the diameter of a
14-gauge wire the same thickness as 14-gauge metal sheet?
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

No, as Vic says, wire and thickness "gage" measurements are different
scales. To make it even more interesting, there are differing gage
scales as well (at least six in my Perry's).

What are the six in your Perry's? I can think of three:

1) wire diameter
2) steel thickness
3) shot gun cartridge

Oh, and thanks for the spell correction of "gage". It's amazing how
easily I can make myself look like a fool.

Humbug. Gage and gauge are interchangeable
although some disciplines have arbitrarily
standardized on one. Always fun to get two
disciplines that have standardized on different
spellings to start fighting over the spelling.
George E. Cawthon

wrote:

Vic Dura wrote:

[...]

how about railroad gauge, is that in your book?
Duane Bozarth

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

wrote:

Vic Dura wrote:

[...]

US standard gage is-- 4' 8-1/2". Don't have old narrow gage or other
such as British, etc.
Vic Dura

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:28:13 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Vic Dura wrote:

What are the six in your Perry's? I can think of three:

1) wire diameter
2) steel thickness
3) shot gun cartridge

Oh, and thanks for the spell correction of "gage". It's amazing how
easily I can make myself look like a fool.

Humbug. Gage and gauge are interchangeable

You're righ, at least according to Random House Webster's dictionary:

gage, n., v.t., gaged, gag·ing. (chiefly in technical use)
gauge.

I didn't know that.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.
Duane Bozarth

wrote:

Vic Dura wrote:

Oh, and thanks for the spell correction of "gage". It's amazing how
easily I can make myself look like a fool.

Humbug. Gage and gauge are interchangeable

You're righ, at least according to Random House Webster's dictionary:

gage, n., v.t., gaged, gag·ing. (chiefly in technical use)
gauge.

I didn't know that.

As for my use of 'gage', I got indoctrinated in eng'g school so far back
it's ingrained indelibly...

Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

how about railroad gauge, is that in your book?

US standard gage is-- 4' 8-1/2". Don't have old narrow gage or other
such as British, etc.

But it strikes me--how/why did they come up w/ this specific dimension?
The 1/2", for example, on a length nearly 5' seems incongruous.